Vat Rebates No Longer Given By Canada To Non Candaians?

Maraprince

I did a Google search, and yes, it's gone as of this past April.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/notice221/notice221-e.html

They replaced it with something else that refunds tax on accommodations only for groups booked through organized tours and for conventions, which sounds like something the hotel lobby forced through as a consolation. I can't see a normal traveler making easy use of it, but perhaps cruise-organized hotel accommodations might be eligible.

I didn't realize how good I had it eight years ago when not only was the U.S. dollar strong, but they refunded federal AND Quebec taxes at the border!

I did a Google search, and yes, it's gone as of this past April.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/notice221/notice221-e.html

They replaced it with something else that refunds tax on accommodations only for groups booked through organized tours and for conventions, which sounds like something the hotel lobby forced through as a consolation. I can't see a normal traveler making easy use of it, but perhaps cruise-organized hotel accommodations might be eligible.

I didn't realize how good I had it eight years ago when not only was the U.S. dollar strong, but they refunded federal AND Quebec taxes at the border!

O2143,

So.....the refund only applies to hotel tax and no longer on merchandise purchased in Canada?

MARAPRINCE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, it is true the Vat Rebates are no longer given. We took a road trip to Montreal, Quebec City and Prince Edward Isle this summer. At our first hotel in Montreal, we were given the form for the rebate. Sent in all our appropriate receipts, etc. Just received a letter from them two days ago stating the rebates are no longer given. Returned all our receipts. Apparently the Canadian government decided in September 2006 that as of April 7, 2007 no more rebates. Bummer!!!

Archived