Rome FCO to Civitavecchia by train

Hi all, Looking for some up-to-date information and advice:

We will arrive at Rome FCO Terminal A. in the morning. We want to take the local train(is it called regional or metropolitain or something else?) from the airport to Civitavecchia. We have previously taken the train from Termini to Civit. and found it to be easy. At that time we were staying in Rome and purchased tickets the day before.

We have been advised to purchase a ticket from FCO to Trastevere and and a ticket from Trastevere to Civit. Is this the best way(cost, timing of connection, frequency of trains, etc?) Do we buy both tickets in Rome? Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.:)

Hi all, Looking for some up-to-date information and advice:

We will arrive at Rome FCO Terminal A. in the morning. We want to take the local train(is it called regional or metropolitain or something else?) from the airport to Civitavecchia. We have previously taken the train from Termini to Civit. and found it to be easy. At that time we were staying in Rome and purchased tickets the day before.

We have been advised to purchase a ticket from FCO to Trastevere and and a ticket from Trastevere to Civit. Is this the best way(cost, timing of connection, frequency of trains, etc?) Do we buy both tickets in Rome? Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.:)

Without doing a bit of research, my gut tells me you would be better off going to Termini then to Civitavecchia. Not certain about the FCO to Trastevere connection. Curiosity got the better of me and I had to look.

[http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html]

(1) You must take a bus to the Fiumicino train station (figure at least 30 minutes there if not longer.) The train to Trastevere does not leave from FCO.

(2) You will have either 5 minutes or 35 minutes between trains in Fiumicino.

(3) Your elapsed time will be close to equal, if not longer, than going through Termini. Not to mention the hastle.

I'd go via Termini.

Hello again,

I did some checking on the internet and this is what I found:

At Fiumicino airport, exit baggage area, look for signs to FS(Ferrovie dello Stato/National Railways), follow the underground walkway to the train station located across the road. The local train is called either FMI(Ferrovia Metropolitana 1) or Treno metroplitano per Orte or Fara Sabina. Sometimes the sign just says going to Stazione Tiburtina. Cost is 5 euros. Weekdays leaves every 20 minutes, weekends less often but at least every hour. Takes 23 minutes to Trastevere. My understanding is that we also purchase the second ticket from Trastevere to Civitavecchia, 3.70 euros, at the Fiumicino station.

If anyone has other info. we would appreciate hearing from you. We will be trying this out in early December,and will post later that month to let you know how it went.

You do know that Trastavere station is in Rome, just a couple of kilometers or so from Termini? - you're not going by a direct route by doing this, you're still going into Rome & then back out; the only difference in the route is that you'll be changing trains at a local, suburban station instead of the terminus.

You do know that Trastavere station is in Rome, just a couple of kilometers or so from Termini? - you're not going by a direct route by doing this, you're still going into Rome & then back out; the only difference in the route is that you'll be changing trains at a local, suburban station instead of the terminus.

Yes, we know this is in Rome. We've been advised that changing at Trastevere is simpler that going into Termini (too bad there's no direct link from the airport to Civit.). We've been in Termini before when we were staying in Rome near the station, its quite "hectic" there!

We're arriving early in the morning at Fiumicino, so not in a hurry to get to Civitavecchia, so we'll try this route.:)

How far is it from Rome to the port? Is a train the only option? Would it be too long for a taxi?

From what I have been told, it is about a 45 minute train ride. You then take a shuttle or a taxi once you are at the port.

HERE is a tutorial that I found helpful (reverse way, from port to Rome...but same thing).

Thanks, that helps alot! I am considering a mediterranean cruise in 2008 and just wondering when docking in civitavecchia what the best way to get to Rome was. Sounds like the train is much quicker. We really prefer exploring places on our own and not doing a group tour.

Archived