Snorkeling from Shore Question

Ryffian

We'll be going to Roatan, Honduras in March 2008. From what I can gather elsewhere on the message board, the best option for snorkeling there is directly from the beach. I remember swimming in the ocean with my brother on family vacations, and mom usually stayed on shore and alerted us (by shouting and waving) when we were drifting too far down the beach.

My question is:

How do you keep from snorkeling too far away from where you entered the water? I can totally see myself getting so engrossed in what's below the water that I forget to pay attention to where I am in relation to the beach, and mom's not coming along. ;) Is it really just as simple as checking your "landmarks" and being sure to keep looking up from time to time?

Sorry if this seems naive.

~Andrea

Know exactly what you mean. The wife and I went snorkeling for the first time in Cozumel in 1995. We were so fascinated by the beauty of the aquariam like waters that we lost all sense of time and distance. We were in the water about 4 hours.

Fortunately we had snorkeling vests on and had no problem getting back to shore albeit with a good dose of sunburn. Only advice I can give you is to make sure you also wear a vest.

Good Luck,

Jimmers

We'll be going to Roatan, Honduras in March 2008. From what I can gather elsewhere on the message board, the best option for snorkeling there is directly from the beach. I remember swimming in the ocean with my brother on family vacations, and mom usually stayed on shore and alerted us (by shouting and waving) when we were drifting too far down the beach.

My question is:

How do you keep from snorkeling too far away from where you entered the water? I can totally see myself getting so engrossed in what's below the water that I forget to pay attention to where I am in relation to the beach, and mom's not coming along. ;) Is it really just as simple as checking your "landmarks" and being sure to keep looking up from time to time?

Sorry if this seems naive.

~Andrea

Yeap, basically that's what you do (try to judge the distance to the bottom, see much of a change, best look up). If you're afraid of this happening, go to a scuba shop or on-line and find a "Storm Safety Whistle" (actual name of the product). As the manufacture says, "These incredibly loud whistles work so well, they’ve been adopted by the Navy Seals! They are waterproof and can even be heard underwater! They exceed the Coast Guard and SOLAS requirements."

They run between $6-8 and you can keep one around your neck while you're snorkeling. If you find for some reason you are going out to sea and question if you can make it back, wave your hands over your head (international sign of distress in the water) and blow. These whistles can be heard from 1/2 to 1 mile from shore. You'll get someone's attention.

Randall

:D If you are snorkeling from Shore in Routan at Tabyana Beach...there was (at least the day we were there) a local resident in a kayak with a whistle who quickly turned me back toward shore long before I thought necessary:p

Archived