Transatlantic too rough for balcony???

Cruising Is The Life

We did a spring and a fall transatlantic last year and seas were VERY calm both times. I would have enjoyed a balcony on either one. I realize this may not be the case every crossing but I still think you will enjoy your balcony some, if not most, of the time.

(I'm sure you will hear, too, from those who actually had one).

Haven't sailed a transatlantic (:( ) BUT I would book a balcony just to leave the door open day and night even if I couldn't use the balcony.

Love the sound of the ocean:)

Aft balconies are great - no wind while cruising. Coffee in the AM, cocktails in the evening...on your balcony!

Well I am sure if it was pouring down rain, an the ship was bouncing around, you would have the door shut. Otherwise, sure leave it open. Love that sea air, but if it too damp outside, everthing inside will follow suit and will be damp inside. Enjoy the crossover. Hope your weather is better that the Pearls on its maiden crossover.:)

I just looked up your cruise and it seems to be sailing southern. You should be fine and, since your balcony is aft, even on rainy days (if any) you should be able to leave the door open while you're moving.

Have a great cruise!

Since you have an aft balcony I don't think you'll have the issues with wind that the forward balconies sometimes have so you should be just fine. Also, if the weather does get a bit rough and you're feeling under the weather having a balcony might be good so you can get some fresh air. I know that helped me last year when I didn't think I could make it to the promenade deck to get air without being sick!

We had an aft balcony on the Pearl's Transatlantic. Did we use it during the hurricane? NO! Did we use it once the seas had calmed down? YES. It was out of (most of) the wind and it gave us our "private" area to look for other signs of life. The Pearl's Transatlantic was unusual - hurricanes are VERY rare near the UK so it may be a bit rough but I would expect you to be able to use your balcony for a fair bit of your cruise.

Just be sure to have heavy clothing. November will be cold no matter what the sea conditions. Bundle up and enjoy the view.

Mac:) :) :)

Make sure you have summer wear also. I remember sailing from Germany to NY (about 35 years ago) and freezing in Germany, snowy in NY and 85 degrees in the Atlantic. ;)

Wow! Thank you everyone for the great info. I'm feeling better now. I can't believe I was thinking of changing to a different cruise.

Yes, and, don't forget the BEST part of

those westbound trans-Atlantic cruises....

And, that is?

All of those 25 hour days....:D

I just looked up your cruise and it seems to be sailing southern. You should be fine and, since your balcony is aft, even on rainy days (if any) you should be able to leave the door open while you're moving.

Have a great cruise!

That's great! Where did you look to find out it was sailing south?

We have booked an aft balcony on the Gem Transatlantic in November 2008. From what I have read, it may be too rough or even dangerous to even go out on the balcony? Does anyone have any input? This will be our first aft balcony and I was looking so forward to it. :confused:

We are on the same cruise as you and have AE on the stern..you will love it..Dont forget that a large part of the cruise is sailing around the Mediterranean and that is when you will truly enjoy the aft cabin..

We were on the Jewel Repo to Miami last year and had great weather..but you never know what the weather will be.

We always try to book a stern cabin...

I just looked on the website. There is a map and itinerary there.

I saw the map. You can tell from that small box that the cruise goes more south than north? Is it the direction of the curve that you look at and can you trust that? Do other cruises actually curve up towards the north?

I just looked on the website. There is a map and itinerary there.

We are on the same cruise as you and have AE on the stern..you will love it..Dont forget that a large part of the cruise is sailing around the Mediterranean and that is when you will truly enjoy the aft cabin..

We were on the Jewel Repo to Miami last year and had great weather..but you never know what the weather will be.

We always try to book a stern cabin...

Thanks, somehow I forgot about sailing around the Mediterranean!

We have done two TAs. One North "Path of the Vikings" in an OV cabin and one the southern route (Rome to NO) in a balcony.Both trip done in the fall and both times the seas were beautiful. In fact for the southern one last Dec. 2006, the weather was the warmest and nicest of the whole trip. We enjoyed our balcony and the peacefullness of just sitting and watching God's handywork go by.

Cruising Is The Life –

We have three crossings, one via Iceland. Two on the Jewel and one on Oceania’s Regatta (at only 33,000 tons about one third of the Jewel’s size). And we have four more booked. An aft cabin with balcony is the only way to go. On each trip I tried to get some really dramatic shots of the ‘huge’ waves – no luck, there weren’t any. I’d be interested to hear how much you enjoyed it.

83077736_CiaoFlorida1s.jpg.bbcfefd0f34dcf7eb8f42b730234a9bc.jpg

Archived