OT - New York City - Take the kids or no

crusinmama06

Since I value the opinions of the parents at this board, I thought I would ask this here. It's TRAVEL related, not cruise related.

I am going on the following trip and I have NEVER been to New York City. I think I am going to leave the girls with the grandparents. Or should I take them with us? I am torn. What do you think? The travel agent said 50% of the people are bringing their kids to take them to the Toys R Us store and the American Girl store. I would like to see the sites without the kids this time, but will I be feeling guilty for leaving them behind? I just never thought of NYC as a kid place. But I have never traveled without the kids.

What do you think? Are there alot of things in NYC for kids to do or should I just enjoy the weekend away with the hubby?

JOIN US FOR A TRIP TO NEW YORK CITY AND DO YOUR CHRISTMAS SHOPPING EARLY!

Join us for an unforgettable weekend in New York. Package includes:

* roundtrip motorcoach transportation

* one night hotel accommodations at Crowne Plaza Meadowlands

including all taxes

* admission to Top of the Rock to see the city lights Saturday night!

PLUS: Plenty of free time for Christmas shopping!! The bus will drop you

off at various locations and pick you up! See New York decorated for the Holidays! Christmas is coming....

Gosh, I would be torn also. I will tell you thaty one of my fondest childhood memories is going to New York at Christmastime. It really is a magical place with all of the decorations. I think your older dd would love it, especially if she's into American Girl at all. My 7 year old absolutely thinks American Girl is the best place on earth!

But, then again having some time with dh is really nice and if you're like me, you don't make enough time for that.

Sheesh, I am no help at all! Whichever way you do it, I know you'll have a great time. :)

We did a family vacation to NYC three years ago when my kids were 4 yrs and 6 yrs old. It was great and there is a lot to do. My daughter keeps asking to go back. I'm sure they would love to see Rockefeller Center with the giant tree and the ice skaters.

However, if you are going just for one night, you may want to go without the kids. The only problem we had with our kids was that they did not want to walk very far. And, walking is the best way to get around. We did end up taking the subway a lot, and that was okay, but I would have walked if it was just me and DH.

You could go alone with DH, check things out, and then go back for a longer time with the kids! Just a thought.:)

You will do alot of walking...best way to get around and see the sites... the subway is also a breeze..everything is color coded....there is a Christmas show at RCenter...Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium...5th Ave is beautiful with all of the decorations. If you are near Grand Central Station check out the Clam Bar downstairs.....great food but Google to check their hours...it has been a couple of years since I ate there but the Bouillabaisse was fabulous.

Kids will enjoy it but if it mainly a shopping trip and some site seeing they may get bored. Looking at lights etc a couple of times is fun..all day...ugh for the kids, unless you will be doing a show etc.

Go with your hubby and don't feel guilty. The two of you deserve some "personal" time too.:)

GAPaige - LOL....you would have the same struggle that I am having. :)

Everyone else, you all bring up a great point about RockCenter tree and the lights. I forgot about that. :eek: My kids would love to see that.

But I agree, I don't EVER get any alone time with the hubby. Just a few months ago was the first time we have EVER gone out alone without the kids in 7 years. :eek:

So I think we will make this year an adult only trip. And then next year I will take the kids.

Thanks all! :D

But I agree, I don't EVER get any alone time with the hubby. Just a few months ago was the first time we have EVER gone out alone without the kids in 7 years. :eek:

Thanks all! :D

If, after seven kid years, you just experienced going out alone without them ~ you deserve this trip with just your husband! You can always take your girls back at a later time, but I say let Grandma enjoy them for the weekend while you and hubby enjoy the city! :D

And if you feel at all guilty about your decision, remind yourself that the best gift we can give our kids is happy moms and dads. So really you would be doing this for them!!

Jen

I find NYC to be a very kid-friendly place and we go once a year with the kids and twice a year without them. Of course, my kids are older than yours. It is my favorite place in the world to visit. Since you haven't been before, I would recommend going alone this time and looking around to see if your kids would enjoy it for another trip.

I have a suggestion for you- an incredible tour is a walking-eating tour of Greenwich Village put on by foodsofnyDOTcom. DH and I did that tour by ourselves and liked it so much we took our kids on it the next time they came with us and they said it was their favorite thing on the trip. We have also done that company's Chelsea Market (home of the Food Network) and Meatpacking District but the Greenwich Village tour is the best. You have to book online and usually well in advance. I have recommended this to several of my friends and they also loved it.

We also like to take the train to Coney Island and eat at Nathan's.

We have gone to the American Girl store (without DD- to get her a gift) and it is a beehive of over-excited girls. WOW!

We are walkers and love to people-watch and window-shop.

I know you will have a great time!

Barb

Leave the kids at home w/Grandma. You and DH should enjoy the weekend alone. Definitely go back w/the kids and between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a great time to go. When you do go back w/them, get tickets to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular - they'll love it! You have to get tickets way in advance though, especially if you want 4 seats together. Enjoy your time alone and have fun and of course bring a little gift back for the girls :)

I say....make it just the two of you this time around. You'll be amazed at just how liberating it can be! It took us 5 years before we took a weekend trip for just the two of us, and now we do a weekend getaway once/year.

NYC really is a great place for kids, though. Besides Toys R Us, American Girl (fabulous - bring the girl's dolls!), FAO Schwartz, Central Park, the Central Park Zoo and the American Museum of Natural History (more exciting for kids than it may sound!) there's also a great children's theater (New Victory Theater) that usually has very interesting acts as well as some great broadway shows. There's some fun/interesting restaurants aimed at kids as well (Serendipity's - great food, Mars 2112 - crazy atmosphere, and ESPN Zone - where the true "boy" comes out in DH).

So go have a great time and next time, bring the kids. Just make sure to pick up a copy of the "New York City with Kids" guide book. Lots of good info and because of the huge variety of choices and a few hidden gems, it's a necessity!

... I have NEVER been to New York City. ... I just never thought of NYC as a kid place ...

JOIN US FOR A TRIP TO NEW YORK CITY AND DO YOUR CHRISTMAS SHOPPING EARLY!

Join us for an unforgettable weekend in New York. Package includes:

* roundtrip motorcoach transportation

* one night hotel accommodations at Crowne Plaza Meadowlands

including all taxes

* admission to Top of the Rock to see the city lights Saturday night!

PLUS: Plenty of free time for Christmas shopping!! The bus will drop you

off at various locations and pick you up! See New York decorated for the Holidays! Christmas is coming....

As others have said, NYC is a great place to visit with kids. I wouldn't take them on the package that you list. The visit is really short and staying in the Meadowlands would be a hassle if your kids got really tired and you wanted to go back to your room.

Bottom-line - go with your husband and come back another time with the kids for a longer stay.

Another suggestion I have for a subsequent visit with kids is to stay at the Embassy Suites at the Meadowlands. The bus to the Port Authority picks up right across the street and it runs very frequently, and the hotel has a nice breakfast included and a pool that the kids enjoy. We have found it perfect for when we take the kids with us, as we have a separate bedroom and it actually is quicker to take the bus to the Port Authority than from other places we have stayed in the city. Parking at the hotel is free and the bus runs until around midnight.

When DH and I go alone, we stay at one of a few Midtown boutique hotels which are nice for couples but absolutely not good for kids (tiny rooms, no pool, etc).

You will have such a good time in NYC! I'm sure that this will be the first of many trips for you.

Barb

Crusinmama-

If you want to email me, I have a great list for New City. We travel there several times a year. I have all of the sights with addresses, costs (MANY are free), etc. Even if you won't use it this time, you might want it for a future visit with or without the children.

One of our favorite things to do is walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. If you take the subway over to Brooklyn, you can walk down the promenade and over the bridge towards Manhattan with the beautiful city skyline in front of you the entire time.

My email: bogelbtk@aol.com

It is a small world. I see your posts on here all the time - your girls are precious. Can't believe we live so close!

'

Crusinmama-

If you want to email me, I have a great list for New City. We travel there several times a year. I have all of the sights with addresses, costs (MANY are free), etc. Even if you won't use it this time, you might want it for a future visit with or without the children.

One of our favorite things to do is walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. If you take the subway over to Brooklyn, you can walk down the promenade and over the bridge towards Manhattan with the beautiful city skyline in front of you the entire time.

My email: bogelbtk@aol.com

It is a small world. I see your posts on here all the time - your girls are precious. Can't believe we live so close!

'

I'm emailing now. Thanks :)

We go to NYC a few times a year though mainly to visit grandpa who lives in midtown Manhatten. Some of our visits are just family visits but many times we do some touristy things. We tend to take the Peter Pan Bus from Boston to NYC since it is $30 per person round trip and less of a hassle than dealing with parking etc. It is about a 4 1/2 hour bus ride and the girls now ages 7 & 3 have fun.

While I definately find NYC to be very child friendly I personally avoid most touristy places when we visit the week between Christmas and New Years simply because of the intense crowds. Those visits we tend to do low key things like visiting the train display at Citicorps which has a controlled line. I find it crowded enough for me during non busy times but others can probably handle crowds better than I can. Of course since dh is from Manhatten he isn't as bothered by it.

I'm not sure how old your youngest is but you have to be 6 to go to the play at American Girl. Last time we went there I just walked up to the window at 3pm and had no trouble getting two tickets for the 4 pm show. Dh, grandpa and dd3 browsed then left. Mary Poppins also had a minimum age.

If you have a local museum membership many offer reciprical agreements with other museums so you might get into some NYC area places for free. Because we are there often enough we don't worry about doing all touristy places and have tried out the Manhatten Childrens Museum (don't recommend at all) and Staaten Island Childrens Museum which was great. Next time we will try and check out Bronx Childrens Museum. For us the museums work well for the kids and grandpa loves watching the kids play.

We have also taken my older nieces, nephews and other adults and done complete touristy visits. Depending on what you want to see the www.newyorkpass.com can be a great deal. We only used it for one touristy trip but easily got our money's worth from it. Even my Red Sox family enjoyed visiting Yankee Stadium for the tour etc. Each niece and nephew that visits gets to do one special thing so I've taken one to a Rex Sox/Yankees game, one to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular etc.

Lori

As someone who grew up in NY, I would recommend that you leave the girls at home this trip. Enjoy yourself doing big-girl things and learning about the city, then in a year or two bring the kids.

In July, I spent 10 days in NY with my sons and there is still a TON of things and places that we didn't get to see. NY is a big trip, not a weekend thing. Use this short vacation to get aquainted with the city and to help you plan for bringing the girls next time.

ok, sorry to get ot, but, your in PENN STATE COUNTRY!!!! My DH and I are alumni (met there actually) I am originally from Hazleton, PA, but I now live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I really miss the poconos this time of year.

ok, sorry to get ot, but, your in PENN STATE COUNTRY!!!! My DH and I are alumni (met there actually) I am originally from Hazleton, PA, but I now live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I really miss the poconos this time of year.

You should see the leaves changing right now! I keep getting emails from resorts in the Poconos offering fall foliage packages. I am soooo tempted. ;)

You should see the leaves changing right now! I keep getting emails from resorts in the Poconos offering fall foliage packages. I am soooo tempted. ;)

I totally understand. Fall was always been my favorite time of year, but after living in the northeast, it's just not the same.

NYC is definitely great for kids. I work in Times Square so I see my share of tourists including lots and lots of kids. However...I'd leave them at home this time; sounds like a great grownup getaway.

Just want to be sure you know - you're staying in NJ, not NYC. Not that there's anything wrong with that (I live in NJ!); it's just not quite the same experience.

Thanks for all the great advice and please holler if you need any tips for NYC.

Also, not to change the subject, but we just got back from Mariner yesterday and I grabbed a sample of every kids' club level including the baby program (one day only - last sea day) for a work project, so I'd be happy to scan them if you want to add them to your site. Please let me know how to reach you if you'd like them.

Thanks again for all your helpful tips. My son (5) had a blast at the Aquanauts program and in our fabulous corner aft cabin.

Leave the kids at home this time. You are only going for one night and it could be very tiring for them. If they are young, there is no way to ruin a good time quicker than with an over-tired child. Go shop, have a wonderful dinner, walk the streets, sight see, and bring the kids in the summer when the prices drop and you have time to bring them out to Coney and the Aquarium, the Bronx Zoo and the Botanical Gardens, the Cloisters, Intrepid (when it returns), City Island, and all the other places that you just wouldn't have time for.

You wouldn't bring the kids to Disney for one day, so I think it is in the same ballpark as this.

Go be grownups and enjoy each other, how often do you get the chance to do that???

Have fun!

If you're there once the tree is lit in Rockefeller Center, it's insanely crowded. We were there two years ago, and went to see a Broadway play. Since our hotel was near Rockefeller Center, our limo had no choice but to drive near that place. It took us over two hours to get back to the hotel because traffic was 100 times worse than usual.

Archived