Transatlantic Cruise

Jimmers

We are doing a 14 day transatlantic out of Miami in April 08 on the Jewel of the Seas. After a 6 day crossing we are stopping at Ponta Delgada Azores, Cork Ireland, Comwall England, Brussels Belgium, Paris France , and Amsterdam Holland.

We have done 4 Cruises so far, all of which have been in the Caribbean. The smoothest sailing yet has been on the Liberty of the Seas last month. What can we expect sailing on a smaller ship across the Atlantic. Will it be alot rougher? Sea sickness rougher?.

Do the ships have entertainment each night as they do on the 7 day cruises. Is boredom a factor during the 6 day crossing.

Finally, does anyone have any tips on what to do at the various ports of call. We're not sure yet how long we're going to be in Amsterdam where we fly home from. We may look into doing an extra day there if possible.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Jimmers

Sounds like a wonderful cruise! I've never cruised on your cruiseline, so can't respond to you specifically. But, I have done 6 transatlantics on two different cruiselines, so I can probably give you some general info. The six sea days will fly by. Always something going on to amuse you, or you can curl up with a good book and really relax. On the two lines I have been on, (HAL and Crystal) there was entertainment every night, so that won't be a problem.

As far as seas...on all my trips there have been one or two days of "fun" while crossing the Atlantic. Just get some non-drowsy dramamine (if your doctor thinks it's ok for you to use) and listen to the Captain if he says seas may be coming. Be sure to take the dramamine way ahead (I always start right after the Captain's announcement). The seas between Cork and Cornwall and between Cornwall and Brussels have a chance to be a little "fun" too, depending on the weather.

As far as the ports, in Ponta Delgada the first time, I went on a tour that included a pineapple plantation. Interesting, but, the best part was we got to do some pineapple liquor tasting...at 10 in the morning...WHEEE! The second and third times I just wandered around the city.

The only other port on your itinerary I've been to is Amsterdam. I'd definitely suggest at least one post cruise day. It's a very pretty city. Quite walkable. And it would make your transition back to reality a little smoother if you didn't have to go right from the ship to the plane!

Six Transatlantics. I think that certainly classifies you as someone who knows the territory. And if you've done it that many times it must be a great experience. We will definitely listen for the rough seas announcements and plan accordingly. Neither of us have ever been sea sick but from what I hear an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The pineapple plantation sounds fun too. And if they have pineapple RUM my wife will be first in line.

I know what you mean about the transition from Cruise to reality. That last day of the cruise is a real bummer. It's like waking up from a wonderful dream and wishing you could go back to sleep and recover it.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Jimmers

We've done four transatlantics in the past two years and have yet to ever hear any "rough seas" announcements from any ships personnel. We encountered storms on three of the four transatlantics we've done. Especially the Northern crossings. From now on we will be sticking to the Southern crossings in the future.

We've done four transatlantics in the past two years and have yet to ever hear any "rough seas" announcements from any ships personnel. We encountered storms on three of the four transatlantics we've done. Especially the Northern crossings. From now on we will be sticking to the Southern crossings in the future.

Kewl, I was fine after I took the bonine and it took effect, I slept pretty much all day Thursday and we missed the anniversary/honeymoon party we got an inivte to as it was an hour after the CC get together-which was when I got my sickest-if it had not been in the lounge at the very top and front of the ship I could have stayed longer and went to the anniversary/honeymoon party.

after Thursday afternoon of the first sea day I was fine except I could not walk straight for the waves!

One thing Tony loved about the sea days was all the lectures. He attended both maritime ocean liners lectures and the the lectures about Nasa.

We wanted to know if we did a TA on another line, such as Jewel of the Seas, would there be lecturers on that cruise?

BTW congrats on your engagement.

Thank you. It's usually Celebrity that has the lectures. I don't recall seeing any on Royal. It was nice meeting you two even though it was a brief meeting. ;)

Well I guess we better stick to Celebrity then as Tony says normally sea days are boring for him but the lectures made it enjoyable.

Actually what I learned, is I only got a little taste of Ireland and France and I want more! We may do another transatlantic but if we do- we will do a land tour first. 3 days in England was not enough.

But I have convinced Tony we could do the 2 week Hawaii cruise that is round trip California. He now says he won't mind the sea days-so it will be Celebrity for that.

Well I guess we better stick to Celebrity then as Tony says normally sea days are boring for him but the lectures made it enjoyable.

Actually what I learned, is I only got a little taste of Ireland and France and I want more! We may do another transatlantic but if we do- we will do a land tour first. 3 days in England was not enough.

But I have convinced Tony we could do the 2 week Hawaii cruise that is round trip California. He now says he won't mind the sea days-so it will be Celebrity for that.

The highlight of the trip for us was our time in Paris. Simply amazing architecture. We promised ourselves we would go back for an extended vacation in the future. We also love the relaxing sea days.

In May, 2006, we did a TA on the Galaxy. We loved every minute of the trip, weather was perfect and the six days passed very quickly. Every afternoon we had wine and cheese on our balcony. We also did the Azores and it was a wonderful experience. We did the ship's tour to Sete Cidades (??). The tour began early in the day. It was cloudy to start with and then cleared off - a beautiful day. We visted two lakes - one green and the other blue, a small village where some of the residents still get their water from the village well. The vistas were spectacular. Our final part of the tour was a wine and cheese tasting party at a local hotel - some very good wines from Portugal. We will be a westbound TA on the Voyage of the Seas in December and an eastbound TA on the Constellation next April. Already counting days. Enjoy!!!!:) :) :)

In May, 2006, we did a TA on the Galaxy. We loved every minute of the trip, weather was perfect and the six days passed very quickly. Every afternoon we had wine and cheese on our balcony. We also did the Azores and it was a wonderful experience. We did the ship's tour to Sete Cidades (??). The tour began early in the day. It was cloudy to start with and then cleared off - a beautiful day. We visted two lakes - one green and the other blue, a small village where some of the residents still get their water from the village well. The vistas were spectacular. Our final part of the tour was a wine and cheese tasting party at a local hotel - some very good wines from Portugal. We will be a westbound TA on the Voyage of the Seas in December and an eastbound TA on the Constellation next April. Already counting days. Enjoy!!!!:) :) :)

Be sure not to forget to pack the Bonine for the Connie crossing in April.

We are doing a 14 day transatlantic out of Miami in April 08 on the Jewel of the Seas. After a 6 day crossing we are stopping at Ponta Delgada Azores, Cork Ireland, Comwall England, Brussels Belgium, Paris France , and Amsterdam Holland.

We are doing a 14 day cruise of of Fort Lauderdale on MARCH 30, 2008, on the Jewel of the Seas. Am wondering if yours is a 2009 cruise or you just have the dates and the ports confused.

Mocorobabe

The highlight of the trip for us was our time in Paris. Simply amazing architecture. We promised ourselves we would go back for an extended vacation in the future. We also love the relaxing sea days.

We will, if we do another TA, is possibly the Century or the Galaxy, and beforehand do a tour of France and Italy-which would give us at least 2 days in Paris. I also want to go back to Europe and do an Ireland, Scotland and Wales tour. If I get to do those two things in that order (Paris first!) and am still around and in good health, then I would go for the Baltic!

We are considering a Millie cruise in April, I almost have Tony talked into it! If we go we will take our daughter. I loved the Connie and that spa pool so I want our daughter to experience that.

We are doing a 14 day cruise of of Fort Lauderdale on MARCH 30, 2008, on the Jewel of the Seas. Am wondering if yours is a 2009 cruise or you just have the dates and the ports confused.

Mocorobabe

My guess is they were generalizing, as most of the cruise will be in April.

We just booked our first TA for next May, Westbound on the QM2. Being type AAA, I was concerned about sea days but the Cunarders put my mind to rest. We will do a few days pre-cruise in London and then take the ship to NYC.

Can't wait!

Kim, we had a gal, Joan from Arizona (HI Joan! I know you said you post here but I don't know your handle) who took the Queen Mary over and then was on our cruise also. she loved the Queen Mary, she said she danced every night.

Mocorobabe, Thanks for correcting me. It is indeed out of Ft. Lauderdale, leaving Mar 30. Guess we'll be cruising together.

The others here have set my mind at ease about the sea sickness and boredom issue. I love architecture and history so I'm sure I'll enjoy Europe. I'm part Irish by heritage so I especially look forward to visiting Blarney Castle. Legend has it that kissing the stone gives you the gift of gab so I'm going to keep my wife away from it. She has enough of that now.lol

I'm now researching how to pack for an April cruise to these places. I'm thinking, my usual shorts and tropical shirts will be a bit out of place. I'll save that for another post.

Jimmers

Kim, we had a gal, Joan from Arizona (HI Joan! I know you said you post here but I don't know your handle) who took the Queen Mary over and then was on our cruise also. she loved the Queen Mary, she said she danced every night.

I love the idea of three formal nights and all of the nightlife is supposed to be excellent! We are looking forward to it. Glad you enjoyed the Connie.:)

I love the idea of three formal nights and all of the nightlife is supposed to be excellent! We are looking forward to it. Glad you enjoyed the Connie.:)

There was also great lecturers on sea days on the Connie who helped keep us busy and enjoying the sea days. The space photography lecturer said he would be going on the Queen Mary II next from NY to Southampton and then he would take the return Queen Mary II trip-so I guess Cunard has the lecturers also.

We have done 4 Cruises so far, all of which have been in the Caribbean. The smoothest sailing yet has been on the Liberty of the Seas last month. What can we expect sailing on a smaller ship across the Atlantic. Will it be alot rougher? Sea sickness rougher?.

Do the ships have entertainment each night as they do on the 7 day cruises. Is boredom a factor during the 6 day crossing.

Finally, does anyone have any tips on what to do at the various ports of call. We're not sure yet how long we're going to be in Amsterdam where we fly home from. We may look into doing an extra day there if possible.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Jimmers

Definitely stay over. Amsterdam is interesting. There is good public transportation & almost everyone speaks English.

I would definitely spend a day at Keukenhof Gardens. We were there in the rain & the tulips were absolutely gorgeous. April is usually prime viewing time. There is public transportation available. If this interests you at all, don't miss it!

Definitely stay over. Amsterdam is interesting. There is good public transportation & almost everyone speaks English.

I would definitely spend a day at Keukenhof Gardens. We were there in the rain & the tulips were absolutely gorgeous. April is usually prime viewing time. There is public transportation available. If this interests you at all, don't miss it!

Thanks for the tips. We are soooo.... looking forward to seeing all these new places. We've never been to Europe and we thought a cruise would be a nice way to get a "taste" of the various places and then we could return to our favorites for a longer stay sometime.

So far I haven't been able to find an extended cruise option from RCCL for Amsterdam. There are several other ports where this offered but not Amsterdam. I hope one is offered. I'd hate to port there at 7am and have to fly out at noon. What a disappointment that would be. Might even put me into therapy, lol.

Jimmers

Archived