What to do to pass the time away in St. Thomas When in port for only 8 hours!

Meglyn

We are going on the Freedom Of the Seas next week on an Eastern cruise and don't know what excursions to pick. We will port at San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. We went with Royal Caribbean excursions last year and were slightly disappointed for the price we paid. I've been told to never use the cruises excursions, but we have no clue what we are doing in order to try to book things ourselves when we get there. My boyfriend lived in Okinawa Japan and loves to snorkel, however my first ever snorkeling experience was in Grand Cayman last year. They dropped us off the middle of the ocean by a ship that had been sunk by rice and a Burger King. I couldn't keep my mask from fogging up, it was grey and colorless, and It was so crowded some strange man kept holding my hand. We have read the Royal Caribbean offerings and can't find the perfect one. I know my boyfriend really wants to snorkel, but I want my second experience to me more memorable. I love to shop, but he doesn't and I want to lay on a beach by turquoise blue water. So my dilemma is....Do we go with Royals pricey excursions, or go it alone when we reach port. Either way....What is worth the price? I am very intrigued by the America's Cup Race Sailing, but my BF doesn't want to have to work on vacation. Is it worth it? Do you really have to work on board? What is a good beach to go to for lounging and snorkeling? Where is the good food/ drinks? Is there anything we just have to try in any of the ports? Help me please!!! I'm stressing out!

We are going on Freedom in three weeks, same ports as you. I don't have a clue what to do either.... I need some great ideas. You have to make sure you post when you get back so I can find out if you took any excursions and how they were. We thought about the America's Cup Challenge too, but you can only take it at 1:00 p.m. and that is right in the middle of our day. If it were offered earlier, I think I definitely would have taken it. My friends did it and said it was great.... Like you, I will keep reading and trying to come up with something. They sure don't offer much in Puerto Rico for excursions. I guess because we get there too late that day.

Has anyone done the Rum factor tour?

We were in St. Thomas in June and we took Sunny Liston's tour. We had a blast with him. He picks you up at your ship and gives you either 1, 2, or 3 hours of shopping in the downtown Main St. area, then takes you on an hour and a half tour of the island, then you have a 2 hour beach excursion at the beach of your choice. Either Coki, Sapphire, or Megan's Bay. We chose Sapphire. We did 3 hours of shopping so he picked us up at 9AM and then we got back to our ship between 4 and 4:30 so it was a whole day excursion. I highly recommend Sunny. He is a very funny man and a lot of fun.

forgot to add that it is 25 p/p.

Here is his website, if you are interested.

http://www.sunnylistontours.com

Sandi,

I'm a little confused. I thought I read some people say that you didn't get your choice of beach; that it was "majority rules" and depends on what those on your tour bus decide!

I'd like to do Coki, because the idea of being able to wade into the water to snorkel sounds good to me. I can barely swim, so I like the idea of being in shallow water.

If you book with Sunny, do you, individually, get to pick which of the 3 beaches you want?

Sandi,

I'm a little confused. I thought I read some people say that you didn't get your choice of beach; that it was "majority rules" and depends on what those on your tour bus decide!

I'd like to do Coki, because the idea of being able to wade into the water to snorkel sounds good to me. I can barely swim, so I like the idea of being in shallow water.

If you book with Sunny, do you, individually, get to pick which of the 3 beaches you want?

When we went with Sunny he gave us all a choice. Nobody wanted Coki, a few wanted Megan's Bay and the rest wanted Sapphire so he dropped the people off at both locations. We were the only ship in port that day so he wasn't very busy so maybe that is why he did it. You can email him and ask him if, when you go, he will give you a choice.

Do you have to pre-pay with them?

With so many people interested in Sunny Liston and Godfrey's, maybe someone different would be a better choice. Their prices are slightly higher (Godfrey's $25 p/p for shopping/island tour/beach). Not a big deal, but that $10 would help pay for the banana daiquiris!

;)

Eight hours is about the length of time that any cruise ship stays in St. Thomas (or any port for that matter). Sometimes you get a few extra hours ... and occassionaly an overnight ... but 8 hours is plenty of time to have a very good day. If one likes to snorkel and the other would rather just spend time at the beach, you can consider taking a trip over to St. John. There are many excursions (both private and booked on the ship).

Yes we did pre paid with them, but well worth the money. It was a wonderful experience and we could have not had a better tour company.

Man Of The Year

Oops! Eror made in typing. Yes we did pre paid with them, but well worth the money. It was a wonderful experience and we could have not had a better tour company.

I checked CruiseCal and it looks like there will be 4 ships in port the day we're there. There were suggestions by others that Sunny Liston and Godfrey may not be able to hit all the beaches if they're really heavily booked (that it might be "majority rules", and I want to make my own choice).

Now, I just have to decide which beach. I've read good things about them all. Magen's Beach looks truly beautiful, but there's the extra fee. Sapphire also looks beautiful. I like the idea of Coki because of the wade-in, good snorkeling and the option of Coral World as well.

I guess it would help if I'd just make a decision and book it!

We went on Sunny Liston's tour in June when there were several ships in and were still able to choose our beach stop- he also did two seperate pick up times at one of the beaches since one group wanted less beach time. You can always email & ask him just to be sure. He was very good about getting back to us when we had questions before our trip.

My husband and I were in St. Thomas for our honeymoon cruise almost nine years ago. We wandered aimlessly for a little while in the shops and then grabbed a taxi and told the driver to take us to the best (obviously in his opion) beach. He took us to Magen's Bay. We still rave about that beach to this day. Whenever we hear of someone going to St. Thomas, we tell them to go to Megan's Bay. It was not crowded, the water was clear and warm, and there was a little bar that made the most delicious pina colada's! We did not want to do any tours, but be total beach bums on this day - worked out perfect for us!

We are sailing on that sailings as well. I haven't seen you over in the meet and mingle thread, check us out there, but I guess you just joined since you have 3 posts. We are taking Godfrey's tours, because Sunny wants his money beforehand. Join us over there in the roll call.

our first trip to st thomas we all went our seperate ways, a couple did kayak, one did america's cup, more did BOB, some did cable car...all as ship tours, and had a great time!

on our return visit to St Thomas, we wandered Havensight Mall, walked to cable car, went to Curves (gym for women only, we are members at home), walked into Kmart to look at Christmas decorations (interesting when the temperature was 85), rode the escalator (really) to the second floor of Kmart, attempted to walk to town (while it was an interesting walk, it was very hot, so we gave up part way and got a taxi back to the ship). A very relaxing day in a port that my husband claims to not like at all! And the Frostie at Wendy's was good too!

We like to see different ships there! St Thomas was the first time we saw a Disney ship and heard their unique horn as they left port.

Have a great trip!

Beverly

Archived