When you cruise & go to the beach do you leave your stuff alone?

cutiek184

I think it was commonly understood from the OP that "America" means USA. I think that is commonly understood ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!! If someone says they are an "American", they mean they are from the USA. Even in Europe, Europeans will ask one if they are American, meaning from the states. No one has ever asked someone if they are a USAin.

Isn't that commonly understood in Elmira? Or did Elmira secede from New York and become part of Canada?

Sheesh.

It would surpriseme to see that you would say Elmira NY. But we do have a verynice Elimra in Ontario. Mind you we do not have the problems that our friends to the south may have. Maybe your Elmira would like to secede to the friendly north!

Also I guest the term Native American will only hold true for those south of the boarder.

Oh, good grief, people. This thread isn't about Who is An American and Who Isn't.

:mad:

We've always left our stuff on our chairs. We don't go way out in the water and I always keep my eye on things.

Of course, I'm usually only ever on the beach for an extended period at HMC, and there's no one there but fellow cruisers.

Interesting how we sort of automatically trust each other just because we're on the same ship. There's really no reason to though, is there?

Since we're probably going to one of the beaches in St Thomas this time, and there will be 4 ships in port that day, I may buy one of those waterproof containers. With my luck, though, that will break and I'll lose our S&S cards and my stuff on the beach will be fine!

:eek:

Oh, good grief, people. This thread isn't about Who is An American and Who Isn't.

:mad:

We've always left our stuff on our chairs. We don't go way out in the water and I always keep my eye on things.

Of course, I'm usually only ever on the beach for an extended period at HMC, and there's no one there but fellow cruisers.

Interesting how we sort of automatically trust each other just because we're on the same ship. There's really no reason to though, is there?

Since we're probably going to one of the beaches in St Thomas this time, and there will be 4 ships in port that day, I may buy one of those waterproof containers. With my luck, though, that will break and I'll lose our S&S cards and my stuff on the beach will be fine!

:eek:

Your 110% correct! Thanks for reminding me. Bottom line it is not safe or smart to leave your things unprotected on the ship on the beach or anyplace. Have someone watch or by a safty lock, $10 to $15 it's worth it.

We use "dry fanny packs" bought them at the local sporting goods store for $7.95. they hold our documents, camera, money, S&S card, and a credit card. We wear them in the water and everything stays dry. As a previous poster stated, having someone steal our bags would be a bummer, but all we would be out is a book and a couple of towels.

I too use the waterproof fanny pack type thing from Magellan's. I've never had an issue with towels or clothes going missing from any beach, though I did have to stop a kid from trying to steal my carnival towel at the aft pool on the Liberty. He did the look to the left, look to the right, make the grab and try to take off...right into me coming up behind him from the pool. "Excuse me, where are you going with my towel?" He dropped it, gave me a deer in the headlights look and took off.

usually we cruise with atleast one other couple. Then we kind of "rotate" as far as one person sticking near the backpacks and stuff. If not, we do have a waterproof safe that we keep ID's, money and CC's in. We've also only been to smaller beaches (Sapphire in St. Thomas and Paradise in Coz) so it's easy to be in the water and still keep an eye on your things.

I know this thread has become somewhat hijacked and I apologize in advance, but I'm gonna have to weigh in here.

Nosmothj, I'm not telling you this to be rude, but I have NEVER in my life heard of a person from Canada, Mexico, Honduras, Brazil, etc. call themseves an American even though they live in either North, Central, or South America. If that was the case, what would folks from the USA call themselves if not American to distinguish themselves from other "Americans"?

Back on topic, I never leave valuables unattended at a beach, hotel pool, or waterpark no matter where we are. One of us always stays with the stuff, or we just don't bring anything that we could not stand to lose.

I would purchase a swim container for your ID. They have them here on CC or at your local store. This will hold your sign and sail card a copy of your passport and $$. They are on a lanyard and can be hung around your neck. Other than that you should only have a towel and maybe a change of clothes. These can be left at your chair.

safe.jpg

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=26

Get yourself an underwater camera (either one of the new "cheaper" ones or a disposable), then grab one of these hip CC containers for valuables.

Everything else -- towels, etc -- should go in a ratty old backpack or bag -- this is not the place for a Coach bag :) .One of our tricks is to make the bag as personal as possible. One way we did this was to tie a clear plastic bag with a diaper to the backpack. My DS even poured in a little coke to make it more realistic. I could not imagine anyone wanting to get near a bag with a wet, brown diaper tied to it:eek: . Otherwise, you can tie a baggie to your bag and use it for your trash, wrappers, tissues, etc. Also, you can tie the bag or backpack to the chair or umbrella to give the would-be theif another hurdle. Worst case is you are out some sunblock and a towel.

I have used this combination on all of my cruises and have never had any trouble.

We left our stuff in backpacks under our chairs every single place we went. Sometimes we were near people we made friends with...sometimes not.. sometimes family was around...sometimes not... We were never that far away and if someone went jet skiing or kayaking others stayed back.. We live in NY and are not paranoid but not stupid either. We don't carry passports off the boat. We did the Western Carr. route including Mexico ...no problems anywhere.

Like most suggestions, bring only what is needed. In my case, I want to bring my digital camera to the beach. When everyone wants to go for a swim, I put the camera in a ziploc bag then into one of those fishnet bags (that comes with the snorkel). I would then bury it in the sand with only a tiny bit of the string sticking out.

Archived