Kids and formal night

awesomemamma

How much do the kids dress up for formal night? What about teens? Do they all usually like to stay away from the dining room on formal nights?

thanks!

We cruise at times of year that school is on in most areas so there haven't been hundreds of kids. Every child, teen we have seen in the dining room on formal night has been very well dressed. Girls in fancy dresses (not long gowns, but below the knee fancy and frilly), and the boys in suits. I am always impressed that both the parents and the kids go with the dining room guidelines, and they look sooooooo good!

Payd:)

Do you think a US military uniform being worn on a Panamanian registered vessel is acceptable when no sanctioned function is present?

Were you ever in the military?

So, my girls will be great, no problem with them dressing up, but my boys do not have jackets. Dress shirts and ties a-plenty, but no jackets. It sounds like I will be trying to find some for them.....

Thanks for the info!

No don't bother.

They will look just fine with their ties on. This dress code thing is just a debate topic here and we/I take it to extremes on our individual opinions.I just do it for the sake of the debate.Sorry if I made you think you were doing something not correct.:o

Like it has been said many times, just look presentable and your fine. Even George Clooney does not wear a tie with a tux.:)

No don't bother.

They will look just fine with their ties on. This dress code thing is just a debate topic here and we/I take it to extremes on our individual opinions.I just do it for the sake of the debate.Sorry if I made you think you were doing something not correct.

Like it has been said many times, just look presentable and your fine. Even George Clooney does not wear a tie with a tux.

Sure he does... when it is appropriate

http://www.rtgtalent.com/Newsletter/George.ClooneyTux.jpg

http://www.papierdoll.net/blogimages/os9.jpg

http://www.celebslam.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/george-clooney-weird-squat.jpg

Even George Clooney does not wear a tie with a tux.:)

who the hell is looking at his neck??? :p

No don't bother.

They will look just fine with their ties on.

maybe, but it's good to start teaching little boys how nice it is for them to be dressed properly when they're young...'cause sometimes you wind up with adult men (like some who post on here) who refuse to wear a jacket....and the wives who post who can't get their Dh's to dress up.

As a Mom, you owe it to your future DIL to teach a boy how to dress. :p

Well, since the teen boys are 15 and 17, they figure they know everything. Lol. Too late to try to "teach" them much! Both are great dressers, but in Vegas it is usually too hot for suits so we don't own them......

Thats funny.LOL.....I think.:confused:

Were you being serious or poking fun at him?

I can see 2 pictures but not all 3. He is wearing a notched lapel.LOL

Thats funny.LOL.....I think.:confused:

Were you being serious or poking fun at him?

I can see 2 pictures but not all 3. He is wearing a notched lapel.LOL

You said george clooney doesn't wear a tie with a tux... i just posted 3 of the hundreds of pictures out there of him in a tux, with a bowtie... So it appears, that he dresses appropriately depending on the situation.

But hey, I'm not the one that is obsessed with what George Clooney is wearing... not that there's anything wrong with it, we all have our obsessions :D

This Aug on the Freedom we had 2 formal nights. 9yo daughter wore a very nice knee-long dress with dress sandals and she fit in just fine. I did pretty much the same other than the shoes. Husband wore a suit and tie. The teens next to us wore a jacket and tie, no tux. There were very few tuxes and truly formal dresses on board actually, which was just fine with me.

i am 14 and the formal nights were great, i loved dressing up and then after the meal i went to see my friends and what they were wearing,,,

formal night dress code = you do not have to wear a bow tie, as long as you look smart then anything goes!

Just returned from the Imagination and other than staff there were only about three men in our seating that wore tuxes, my ManHo included. At our table we had the tux, two suits and ties, one casual blazer and one one carribean style dress shirt. We all still had a good time.

Our 14 year old wears a funky, retro jacket but no tie for formal night. Collared shirts all other nights. Our daughter likes to dress every night.

While not formal we did see something extremely cute last week. Dad and the 3 boys, all under 7 in matching chinos and tropical shirts with dress sandles. It was adorable and to me appropriate since the boys were so young.

I wouldn't worry about jackets for your boys.

I have 4 boys...16, 15, 14, 13...if they decide to go to formal dinner they have always worn a shirt and a tie, no jackets. I noticed that the older boys are stating to like getting snazzy. Maybe they will wear a jacket on the upcoming cruise?

I have 4 boys...16, 15, 14, 13...if they decide to go to formal dinner they have always worn a shirt and a tie, no jackets. I noticed that the older boys are stating to like getting snazzy. Maybe they will wear a jacket on the upcoming cruise?

As soon as older boys come to the realization that looking "snazzy" earns them points with the females, they have an entirely new outlook on it...

If the chicks like it, you can't get snazzy enough!

I have two boys aged 7 and 12. On formal night, they both had on shirts and ties, and didn't mind it much. I made a deal with my 12 yr. old (skater boy) that if he wore a tie, I would let him wear sneakers.

He looked fine. I wasn't about to go spending all kinds of money on a suit that he would never wear again.

As a matter of fact, they both only had clip-on ties, and when we sat down for dinner, they took them off.

Okay, putting on my flame retardant suit.....

who the hell is looking at his neck??? :p

maybe, but it's good to start teaching little boys how nice it is for them to be dressed properly when they're young...'cause sometimes you wind up with adult men (like some who post on here) who refuse to wear a jacket....and the wives who post who can't get their Dh's to dress up.

I totally agree. It's a shame that manners and appropriate behaviors (like following the dress codes) are frowned upon these days.

My kids started cruising when they were 7,8, and 12. They are now 18,19 and 22. The 2 boys wore little tuxes that we rented on our first cruise and after that we bought them their own on Ebay. Over the years as they outgrew the tuxes we would alter them (tuxes have huge hems) or replace the pieces that no longer fit from Ebay. Today they are all platinum with close to 20 cruises and they love their tuxes. They look forward every cruise to the formal nights and even decide what color vests or ties or shirts they will wear each night. I have never never had a problem with one of my kids not wanting to dress because they knew it was expected and they knew how great they loked and felt when they were dressed up. They would get so many compliments on the ship from other passengers. We also did not have to rent tuxes for proms which saved alot of money there.

As for my daughter, it is like dressing for prom every cruise(twice). She loves it. We have always found great sales on gowns after prom season. Most of her gowns have not cost over 25 dollars. We pick them up whenever we see a sale.

Our entire family loves formal night and we have always made a big deal about how great everyone looks and how special these nights are. We have great pictures of all of us over the years, in fact I did my sons' senior pictures on the ships because the pictures were better than the photos from the school. My kids as young adults now, know how to dress correctly for the occaision and that it is not so bad to look your best once in a while. I am very proud of them. Cindy

Archived