Your favorite Alaska ports and why?

Psulzer

Please tell me which Alaska ports were your favorite and why. I'm trying to plan a first time cruise there and would love to hear what you thought were the best stops and why they were good.

Sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas 1/15/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2005;1;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

I'll do it the other way around - my least favourite ports are Juneau and Skagway. Juneau is just too big and crowded, and Skagway has become what I term "Walt Disney's version of the Klondike Gold Rush" (phoney). Even they give you access to some fabulous backcountry, but I'd probably put Sitka at the top of my list of favourite ports because of the history and the great coastline.

Murray

I agree with Yukon. When we return in August Wrangel is on the list for Bears and Eagles feeding on the salmon.

[img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/10a.gif[/img]
NCL Sun
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;23;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

But if you look beyond the commercial aspects of Alaska ports- there are some excellent gems to tour and all worthwhile in my opinion and vastly different experiences. The above poster is looking at shopping- so any port will fill the bill- but do consider more- fit in shopping secondary- explore some of the excellent touring available.

I don't see shopping mentioned???
I agree with Yukon about Skagway. I really like Juneau though, and I would look at a ship that gave plenty of port time there. The glacier helicopter landings are great. Mendenhall Glacier is worth a visit. People speak highly of the whale watching there, although I've not done it in that port. There is the salmon hatchery, the State Museum, the Shrine of St. Therese.... Both the glacier landing and the Shrine of St. Therese take you away from the crowds. I recommend doing a glacier landing and then hiring a taxi to take you on a tour that includes some of the above stops. We really enjoyed that.

Although Juneau is probably my favorite inside passage stop, I really like Seward for the Kenai Fjords tour, Seavey's Ididaride, Exit Glacier, the Sealife Center! Don't hurry out of this port!
This year we are skipping the ports and we are going to do a land vacation. I can't wait to see more of Alaska!
Remember, that unless you get out of town, the "shopping" area of all the ports will most likely be packed with people. I still think that an Inside Passage cruise is worthwhile, but do try to get out of the crowds to experience the real Alaska.
OOPS....I forgot Ketchikan. That port has to go near the top becuase of the great Anan bear watch that we did with Michelle of Island Wings!

We love Sitka. The approach to the harbor, Mt. Edgcomb (an extinct volcano) the totems, historical downtown, and while we were there (mid June) there were many Eagles soaring above town looking for updrafts, all played into making that our favorite spot. Oh yes I failed to mention the Raptor Center, it was quite a thrill to be up close to an American and a Golden Eagle. The shopping was also good, if that is your thing. Have fun

The Anan Bear watching is actually closer to Wrangell than Ketchikan. We agree about getting out of town, that is why next year we are going by Ferry to Wrangell, Sitka and Petersburg.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Palomino:
I don't see shopping mentioned???
I agree with Yukon about Skagway. I really like Juneau though, and I would look at a ship that gave plenty of port time there. The glacier helicopter landings are great. Mendenhall Glacier is worth a visit. People speak highly of the whale watching there, although I've not done it in that port. There is the salmon hatchery, the State Museum, the Shrine of St. Therese.... Both the glacier landing and the Shrine of St. Therese take you away from the crowds. I recommend doing a glacier landing and then hiring a taxi to take you on a tour that includes some of the above stops. We really enjoyed that.

Although Juneau is probably my favorite inside passage stop, I really like Seward for the Kenai Fjords tour, Seavey's Ididaride, Exit Glacier, the Sealife Center! Don't hurry out of this port!
This year we are skipping the ports and we are going to do a land vacation. I can't wait to see more of Alaska!
Remember, that unless you get out of town, the "shopping" area of all the ports will most likely be packed with people. I still think that an Inside Passage cruise is worthwhile, but do try to get out of the crowds to experience the real Alaska.
OOPS....I forgot Ketchikan. That port has to go near the top becuase of the great Anan bear watch that we did with Michelle of Island Wings!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/10a.gif[/img]
NCL Sun
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;23;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Sitka's surroundings as we were docked were magnificent. But we liked the shops as well as the museums, etc here as well. Be sure to walk up the hill where the Governor's?? house use to be. Great views.

Juneau is good if you take some extra time at Mendenhall and Nugget Falls. Walk the trails out to them. The tram up Mt. Roberts is good only in good weather.

[I]"Thanks to all for your help & advice. Our May 28th cruise was much better for it!"[/I]

Archived