Coffee and coffee cards on Princess

ehogan

Just returned from the Golden Princess.

We were aware (from previous Princess cruises) of how truly awful the coffee is onboard and thought we would try the coffee card for specialty coffees. The coffee punch card is about $27 with gratuity included and gives you 15 coffees. (The card is transferable) Unfortunately, even the specialty coffees were weak and tasteless. When we asked for a double shot, we were charged two punches on the card, so it cost us about $3.60 for a decent cup of coffee.

I am disappointed with Princess, because this just seems to be another way of getting another buck out of passengers. We also noted that in the specialty restaurant ($20 per person) we received an excellent cup of coffee so they seem to be capable of making a decent cup, just not willing to offer it without extra charges.

Thankfully, we did bring along our French Press, good coffee and a automatic shut off kettle, so at least in our cabin, we could enjoy a truly good cup of coffee.

Good to know about the Golden as we will be sailing on her early next year. I have to agree with you about the coffee cards and the quality of the specialty coffees. We had one this past spring on the CB and never did get anything resembling a real mocha or latte. We aren't coffee snobs, even though we come from the land of Starbucks ;) ...but found the drinks very weak and tastless as well. I'll just stick with their regular coffee from the dining rooms which was quite good.

Just returned from the Golden Princess.

We were aware (from previous Princess cruises) of how truly awful the coffee is onboard and thought we would try the coffee card for specialty coffees. The coffee punch card is about $27 with gratuity included and gives you 15 coffees. (The card is transferable) Unfortunately, even the specialty coffees were weak and tasteless. When we asked for a double shot, we were charged two punches on the card, so it cost us about $3.60 for a decent cup of coffee.

ehogan I agree with you. Recently on the Sea Princess I ordered the double shot of espresso which goes for $2 on the specialty coffee list. I also got a double punch on my coffee card. So my $2 cup of coffee actually cost me 3.60 with a coffee card. When I asked the purser why this happened he answered "that's the way it is" and dismissed me for the next person in line. Don't expect a good cup of coffee on any Princess ship. If you don't get coffee syrup and hot water you get a watered down version of the real thing.

Archived