Oosterdam Aft Cabin--What's the best Deck?

Cruising Bill

I'm new to HAL, but am planning a Mexican Riviera cruise for next Spring. I love Aft cabins on Celebrity, and plan on sticking with that with a VA cabin on the Oosterdam. What is the best deck on the un-refitted Oosterdam? I gather the Navigation Deck (8) might have some issues with noise from above. Based on my reading here, it seems 7 might be nice (higher, closer to pool deck), while Upper Promenade (4) might be best (perhaps larger balcony, close to dining room). Or does it not really matter, and any deck is as good as the other?

I appreciate any advice! I tried to talk my partner into the LaffnVegas suite, but couldn't get that deal closed, so am stuck (!) with a VA cabin.

Thanks!

Deck 5 does have the largest balconies, and that's where my next cabin will be:). But, deck 4 cabins let you look directly out over the wake, instead of down and across other people's balconies.

To see what I mean, check out this Zuiderdam film on YouTube...same aft configuration as Oosterdam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EEVrIBMyoQ

First shot to show this is about 45 seconds into the video.

IMO, it may depend on whether you want a covered, partially covered or mostly open balcony. We had an aft VA on deck 5 that was almost completely uncovered and would be perfect for sun-worshippers. It was very, very deep - plenty of room out there. If you want more shade, go to one of the highest decks. The deck 8 verandas are covered. We didn't have noise issues on either of those 2 decks except that we could hear music on our veranda at sailaway when a band performed outside; we heard that for about 30 minutes when we were on deck 8, but it wasn't especially disruptive or loud. We were in an SB on deck 8, but we'd enjoy the veranda in a regular VA in that location just as much. Even the smaller verandas on the upper decks seem to be a decent size. We enjoy being aft.

Have a great cruise!

Archived