flags for the balcony

Jghendrick24

Has anyone ever had flags hanging from their balconies? We have a group of us going on the Mariner in January. We are making our own flags to hang from the balconies so when we get off of the ship, we can see which cabins are ours. We are going to put grommets on the sides and probably use bungee cords to hold them to the balconies.

I know that the balconies are solid, but, isn't there a smal gap on the bottom for water go get out?

I have to do all of these crafts now because I just can't wait to cruise and they will help pass the time!

I know that the balconies are solid, but, isn't there a smal gap on the bottom for water go get out?

Guess it depends on the cruise line/ship. On Carnival Miracle our balcony did not have a gap at the bottom of the glass. It had a 'trough' that ran the length of the balconies that I guess emptied out somewhere?

I can't say for sure, but have sen other posts about cruiselines discouraging most balcony flags and/or lights. The subject often revolves around distress signals versus decoration.

Something subtle would surely go unnoticed, but it sounds like you're not aiming for subtle. I would hate for you to hand craft something, only to have it taken down....?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two years ago I had one of those string of small colored flags hanging from my balcony on the Pride. It stayed up the whole week and no one ever said anything to us or told us to take them down. It's funny because I saw another Carnival ship docked next to us at Costa Maya and they not only had many balconies with laundry lines and clothes dangling, I also saw quite a few other balconies with lights and flags. Maybe they have tightned things up over the last two years? Another question, These ships have so many lights, neon etc on them how could a small set of lights on the balcony make any difference?:rolleyes: Just my thoughts, when in doubt call and ask.

Flags are often used as distress signals at sea. If it were me---I'd bring along the Christmas lights and duct tape them to the rail. I've sailed on the Mariner in a suite and there really wasn't anyplace to put a "flag" and hanging laundry was a big no-no. So I'd go with the Christmas lights; those big old-fashioned ones would work great! ;)

The Mariner was a lot of fun. A lot of ship...but a lot of fun!!!

Archived