"British" Dinner Menu

Bubble and Squeak.

Turkish Delight. And Cadbury Flake. And Aero, Violet Crumble, Cherry Ripe.

Scones. (rhymes with "don" not "cone")

Crumpets.

Golden syrup (look at the can, it has a dead lion on it).

Devonshire cream.

Marmite.

And yes, black pudding.

omigawd, now I want some high tea. *sigh*

Its Dick van Dyke...........

You canna beat haggis, neeps and tatties! Wi a nippy sweetie to wash it doon!

:D For those who need translation: Scotland's very own dish served with mashed turnips (heavily doused with white pepper) and mashed potatoes. Accompanied by a shot of the finest Scotch Malt Whisky.

not sure where you mean as Binnses was on both sides of the street!

I seem to remember the railway station was directly opposite where I worked - heck that was back in the record breaking summer of 1976.

It's where I learned about Vaux houses . . .but I didn't tell my pals as they wore black and white - and I still do :)

Strange isn't it that when the word "British" is mentioned in a subject line, we all come out of hiding to quell any uprising

There'll be a round of "Rule Brittania, Britttania rules the waves" next . . .:rolleyes:

Night all

Originally from England I saw Trifle on Brilliance of the Seas menu so ordered it, my advise to anyone ORDER SOMETHING ELSE. It was the worst excuse for trifle I had ever seen, a piece of fruit in the bottom of a very small glass dish with nothing else but poor tasting cream on top. No cake soaked in liquor in the bottom, no other fruit, and no blanc mange, etc.,:eek:

yes and when they play the National Anthem of all the nations on the ships have you all noticed they play Rule Brittania instead of our National Anthem.

And what's your National Anthem?? Ours is Flower of Scotland.:D

And what's your National Anthem?? Ours is Flower of Scotland.:D

You just got in before me. I was reading through the whole thread first and I am always fascinated to read that "British food is always associated with English dishes. What about a good plate of Mince and tatties, made from Aberdeen beef, or Haggis neeps and tatties. Nothing bland about these, also our trifle is made with sponge soaked in plenty whisky or brandy. Just having a laugh BTW

jst, thanks for the tip onthe trifle. Real trifle when made properly is just divine. The English definitely got that one right!!!

I think trifle made with jello (gelatin) is nasty. Trifle made with jam/jelly is not much better. I prefer it layered with fresh or frozen fruit.

:D Not forgetting roast pork with crackling, and apple sauce, roast and creamed potatoes, roasted parsnips,

Not just roast beef, any roasted hunk of meat, especially lamb and any roasted root vegetable or gourd squash type vegetable.

What I find interesting is the reaction one often gets when mentioning to a non-American about putting sugar in a peanut dish or a pumpkin squash type dish. These are savoury foods, not sweet! I had an Australian friend who just could not picture pumpkin pie. Sugar and pumpkin squash did not mix.

Driving home tonight I saw a Mexican food place, a Chinese restaurant, an Italian place, and a diner. Funny, I never see any British food restaurants.

Maybe that's because Americans don't want to eat spotted dick and bland, boiled meats.

Go to a specialty restaurant the British food night. Make reservations early. It will most likely be packed.

Definately would book Portofino or Chops on the British night, it is nothing that we would call "Typical British":( on that night.

I'm sure thats a safe bet.One night thet served Maryland Crab Cake as an appetizer and while good I can honestly say No resturant who wanted to stay in business would pass that along for a Maryland crabcake.....Frank:)

Driving home tonight I saw a Mexican food place, a Chinese restaurant, an Italian place, and a diner. Funny, I never see any British food restaurants.

Maybe that's because Americans don't want to eat spotted dick and bland, boiled meats.

Go to a specialty restaurant the British food night. Make reservations early. It will most likely be packed.

We in the UK see American "places" everywhere ...what are they called? Starts with a M but have a scotish sound to them???

That's a bit like saying that all Americans subsist on a diet of deep-fried peanut buter sandwiches, a la Elvis! :D

And also, whilst we are on the subject of ripping it out of the british for Spotted Dick - what about you lot and your "fanny packs" :D

Honestly, if you even had any idea what that translates as in proper English you would never say those words again!!!! :eek:

And also, whilst we are on the subject of ripping it out of the british for Spotted Dick - what about you lot and your "fanny packs" :D

Honestly, if you even had any idea what that translates as in proper English you would never say those words again!!!! :eek:

My husband had to explain that to an Americam colleague just the other day :D

Archived