Cave Tubing - Please Help Me Choose!

TwinMom7

We'll have a large group of probably 25 family/friends who will be cave tubing in April. Somehow, I'm the one in charge of getting all the information and making the reservation.

I'm so torn between Major Tom and Yhonny at cavetubing.com. I've read numerous posts and both sound awesome.

Our ages will range from 11 - late 50's.

Can you please let me know your thoughts and help me with my decision?

We'll have a large group of probably 25 family/friends who will be cave tubing in April. Somehow, I'm the one in charge of getting all the information and making the reservation.

I'm so torn between Major Tom and Yhonny at cavetubing.com. I've read numerous posts and both sound awesome.

Our ages will range from 11 - late 50's.

Can you please let me know your thoughts and help me with my decision?

Hey Patty. My wife and I are newbies for cruises and have been planning our first trip this coming Dec. I have probably spent 40 hours or more researching what we will do for all four ports. It has been insane digesting so much info. Anyway, I looked at both Major Tom and Yhonny. They both have lots of positive posts. I started with Major Tom at "cave-tubing (dot) net" and have been really impressed with his humor, quick responses to emails, and patience (I've asked a lot of questions). I look forward to the trip and believe I have made a good decision to go with him. Of course, the proof is in the pudding and I will leave feedback here after all of my expierences because I think it is only fair after benefiting from so many other people's posts.

I saw some posts earlier warning people not to trust someone who has less than XXX number of posts. Well, I'm new and can't help not having many posts. I'd be glad to authenticate myself to anyone in doubt. Send me an email at pepperman65 atsymbol yahoo dot com. This is my junk account, but if you put *** CRUISE CRITICS *** in big letters in the subject line, I should be able to spot it and reply with proof I am a real poster and not a poser. I have a personal site on the web and I am located near Memphis, TN.

Anyway, just on communications alone, I feel we made the right decision. I hope this helps.

Mikl-n-CJ

Hi twin mom -

I was in your shoes not long ago trying to decide the exact same thing. I was only planning for a group of 6, but kept going back and forth. I read numerous post and numerous reviews and finally selected Major Tom and ********* adventures. At the time I picked, I was still not sure; however in my email correspondence with Major Tom, I know I chose correctly for us. He has responded to my emails quickly, answered all my questions and concerns, and made me feel that they are all waiting for us to show up and experience their country. I have yet to read a bad thing about either tour group, so I am sure you can't go wrong. However, in the 8 emails sent between Major Tom and myself and the reviews/comments on cruise critic, I feel I made the correct choice.

One thing I did find is that instead of booking on-line and paying via paypal - you can just email Major Tom from his website and make the reservation and pay the day of the trip. I was concerned if something happened and I didn't make the port, we'd have to work to get the money back. I don't think that would be a problem at all, but I did find out that they prefer cash so they don't have to pay the credit card fees. CErtainly understandable to me!! Good luck!!

Hi Twin Mom,

We,ve been in this situation before and we decided that we'll stick to what we know.

last Year we went with Ecological Tours and did the Shark Ray Alley snorkeling, this time around we are going for the cave tubing Marvin offered us a super deal ($49.00 with lunch)since we are second time customers.

For the most part they are very proffesional and very efficient with the ship's schedule, I think most independent operators in Belize are aware that customer service is the key to stay alive in the business, so I do hope that whatever operator you choose, you will have a great time:)

Major Tom, hands down.

We just got back from a cave-tubing/zip lining excursion with him, and were so impressed by him and his son!

He has a wealth of knowledge about the country of Belize, as well as the Mayan people. He kept us spellbound from the moment we met him, he is so charismatic and charming. I learned more about Belize and Mayan/Aztec history in five hours with this man than I ever learned in school. He also made us feel very safe in Belize, all the people we encountered knew him and treated him very respectfully. I never had a moment's pause, he and his son both were wonderful.

We did notice that Major Tom and Tom Jr. take smaller groups than the guys with the other outfitters. I liked the group of 12 we had, it made things go faster and we didn't feel like cattle being herded!

Also, I think we had one of the best meals on our cruise with him...we were running a bit behind the day we were in port, so we stopped at a roadside stand in Hattieville called Pearl's, I believe. We had a meal of two pieces of chicken coated in a wonderful sauce, some fabulous potato salad and rice and beans (NONE of which I will eat usually, but I licked the plate clean) and a sweet orange drink that my DH keeps talking about. The piece de resistance? Thick, warm slices of bread pudding! I could have died happy after our day in Belize cave tubing, zip lining, and with a belly full of good food!

Hey Patty. My wife and I are newbies for cruises and have been planning our first trip this coming Dec. I have probably spent 40 hours or more researching what we will do for all four ports. It has been insane digesting so much info. Anyway, I looked at both Major Tom and Yhonny. They both have lots of positive posts. I started with Major Tom at "cave-tubing (dot) net" and have been really impressed with his humor, quick responses to emails, and patience (I've asked a lot of questions). I look forward to the trip and believe I have made a good decision to go with him. Of course, the proof is in the pudding and I will leave feedback here after all of my expierences because I think it is only fair after benefiting from so many other people's posts.

I saw some posts earlier warning people not to trust someone who has less than XXX number of posts. Well, I'm new and can't help not having many posts. I'd be glad to authenticate myself to anyone in doubt. Send me an email at pepperman65 atsymbol yahoo dot com. This is my junk account, but if you put *** CRUISE CRITICS *** in big letters in the subject line, I should be able to spot it and reply with proof I am a real poster and not a poser. I have a personal site on the web and I am located near Memphis, TN.

Anyway, just on communications alone, I feel we made the right decision. I hope this helps.

Mikl-n-CJ

HI:

WE JUST GOT BACK FROM BELIZE AND CAVE-TUBING..THIS WAS MY 2ND TIME WITH YHONEY..HE ABSOLUTELY GIVES THE BEST SERVICE. AND HIS PRICE IS GREAT..95$ ON SHIP VS. 45$ TO YJONEY..

WE NOT ONLY WENT THROUGH ONE CAVE LIKE THE REST, BUT GOT TO GO THROUGH 2 CAVES..WE HAD GUIDES AT ALL TIMES, AND THEY HOOK EVERYONE TOGETHER TO GET THROUGH THE CAVES.. I DEFINETLY WOULD RECOMMEND YHONEY@CAVE-TUBING.COM ..TELL HIM CRUISE BUNNY SENT YOU....WE CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK TO BELIZE AGAIN AND SEE YHONEY...HOPE I WAS SOME KIND OF HELP....

I have heard great things about Yhonny AND Major Tom. We are going to Belize on our cruise in Nov. I researched both websites & all the info available here.

We decided to go with Major Tom for a couple of reasons:

1 - he appears to be a little more "educational", teaching more about the area and ecology. My fiancee and I LOVE to learn about new areas, cultures, geology & ecology WHILE having fun. Major Tom's approach seemed to be right what we wanted.

2 - seemed VERY safety conscious (not saying the other groups aren't). His website had LOTS of safety info and his follow-up emails had even more

3 - It just felt like a good "fit" for us - I know that's a subjective criteria, but I tend to trust my gut instincts.

I made a reservation online and within 2 hours had a confirmation and nice note from Major Tom himself. My fiancee is a firefighter and I had mentioned that in my email to him - he even is planning on showing us the fire department! WOW! Above and beyond the call of duty!

I have emailed him several times with different questions or concerns - each email has been answered quickly (within 24 hours, usually in MUCH less time), completely answered my questions, and with a wonderful sense of humor.

I almost feel like I have a "friend" waiting for me in Belize! We are SO excited. I can't wait to actually do the excursion - and I WILL post a review here. Also, not having to worry if we can't dock for some reason - we haven't paid upfront & Major Tom keeps tabs on what's going on with the daily cruise arrivals. He appears to be very organized and professional.

I'm sure your group will have a GREAT time with whichever tour you decide, but I highly recommend Major Tom!

My fiancee' and I have booked our tubing excursion with Maj. Tom. We read TONS of reviews for all the tubing companies in Belize and his gets the best reviews. We have exchanged emails with him serveral times and he always answers our questions quickly and completely. He has a fantastic sense of humor and if I WASN'T going tubing, he sounds like someone I would like to meet just for the heck of it!!!

I have heard great things about Yhonny AND Major Tom. We are going to Belize on our cruise in Nov. I researched both websites & all the info available here.

We decided to go with Major Tom for a couple of reasons:

1 - he appears to be a little more "educational", teaching more about the area and ecology. My fiancee and I LOVE to learn about new areas, cultures, geology & ecology WHILE having fun. Major Tom's approach seemed to be right what we wanted.

2 - seemed VERY safety conscious (not saying the other groups aren't). His website had LOTS of safety info and his follow-up emails had even more

3 - It just felt like a good "fit" for us - I know that's a subjective criteria, but I tend to trust my gut instincts.

I made a reservation online and within 2 hours had a confirmation and nice note from Major Tom himself. My fiancee is a firefighter and I had mentioned that in my email to him - he even is planning on showing us the fire department! WOW! Above and beyond the call of duty!

I have emailed him several times with different questions or concerns - each email has been answered quickly (within 24 hours, usually in MUCH less time), completely answered my questions, and with a wonderful sense of humor.

I almost feel like I have a "friend" waiting for me in Belize! We are SO excited. I can't wait to actually do the excursion - and I WILL post a review here. Also, not having to worry if we can't dock for some reason - we haven't paid upfront & Major Tom keeps tabs on what's going on with the daily cruise arrivals. He appears to be very organized and professional.

I'm sure your group will have a GREAT time with whichever tour you decide, but I highly recommend Major Tom!

Well, I just have to tell you that after I posted this question yesterday I emailed Major Tom with some questions. Not only did he email me back within an hour, he CALLED ME at my place of work. I was in shock when the receptionist told me that "Major Tom from Belize is calling". We had a great visit and I already feel that we have a "friend" waiting for us in Belize.

He finished the conversation by telling me that with our group of 20+ family/friends, it sounded like a real "party" and that he'd supply the cashew wine.

Like you, I think I've made the right decision.

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Well, I just have to tell you that after I posted this question yesterday I emailed Major Tom with some questions. Not only did he email me back within an hour, he CALLED ME at my place of work. I was in shock when the receptionist told me that "Major Tom from Belize is calling". We had a great visit and I already feel that we have a "friend" waiting for us in Belize.

He finished the conversation by telling me that with our group of 20+ family/friends, it sounded like a real "party" and that he'd supply the cashew wine.

Like you, I think I've made the right decision.

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

That's awesome! I KNOW you will have a great time. He is just a stand-up guy and I don't say that lightly. I've not met him yet either! Make sure to give a review about your experience after you get back!

Archived