All things Monarch of the Seas

[quote name='birdylady']We are looking at taking the Monarch next year. We would like to book a Junior Suite. We notice that they are either under Windjammer or the pool area. Can anyone tell me what the noise level would be for these? Currently the cabins listed by RCCL's website (1048, 1050, 1546, 1548, 1550, but there may be more not listed) are the ones nearest the elevator. Any input on which cabins are quietest or have better views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Erika[/quote]

On our September 15th Monarch cruise we stayed in JS 1550 and it was never noisy :cool: Also the elevator banks or the stairs are right outside the door; very convenient. Another plus was our cabin steward; the fabulous Randall Grant was 'da bomb' and he took excellent care of us during this cruise. I would not hesitate to book this stateroom again, were it an option.

[quote name='susibell2']We had a JS on the Sovereign which is the Monach's sister ship. We were in cabin 1546 and it was a nice cabin but very noisy. We were awakened early in the morning by pool chairs being dragged across the deck. Allday long it sounded like people running and jumping.We loved the room though.[/quote]
Thank you for the reply. We ended up booking 1052. Due to it's proximity to the cabin you had, I suspect we'll probably have the same situation. I'll keep fingers crossed that it won't be but I'll try not to let it ruin the vacation just the same.
Thanx,
Erika

[quote name='birdylady']Thank you for the reply. We ended up booking 1052. Due to it's proximity to the cabin you had, I suspect we'll probably have the same situation. I'll keep fingers crossed that it won't be but I'll try not to let it ruin the vacation just the same.
Thanx,
Erika[/quote]

Erika, any cabin on Deck 10 is going to have noise from above. Some people are really bothered by it, others manage to put it in the background. Enjoy!

This was my first trip on the Monarch for a 3 nighter. I've never sailed on Royal Caribbean before, just Princess. I was looking forward to the friendly crew, but was disappointed. I felt more pandered to, than genuine friendliness. Our cabin steward was not so great. We were in an OV on deck 3. The cabin wasn't too clean, mold in the shower. I had to call to get the pullman (there were 3 of us) down at 11:30 one night and get towels that had not been replaced from earlier in the day.

Food was better than expected. Icky night (3rd) was actually my favorite. I loved the lamb shank! Our servers in the Dining room were very good. They remembered certain food allergies etc. They were very accommodating.

We had drinks before 2nd seating each night in the schooner's bar. Drinks were fine, but service very slow. It would take on average 15-20 to get our drinks after they were ordered. The bar wasn't very crowded, so we couldn't figure out the delay.

The cruise in general was fun. Would it make me want to try another cruise with Royal Caribbean? Not so much. I hope the spruce the ship up in dry dock, it could use it.

[quote name='critterchick']Erika, any cabin on Deck 10 is going to have noise from above. Some people are really bothered by it, others manage to put it in the background. Enjoy![/quote]
Well, I guess they didn't plan that out well, did they. Having all the suites on 10. Go figure.
Thanx,
Erika

[quote name='muffy6445']This was my first trip on the Monarch for a 3 nighter. I've never sailed on Royal Caribbean before, just Princess. I was looking forward to the friendly crew, but was disappointed. I felt more pandered to, than genuine friendliness. Our cabin steward was not so great. We were in an OV on deck 3. The cabin wasn't too clean, mold in the shower. I had to call to get the pullman (there were 3 of us) down at 11:30 one night and get towels that had not been replaced from earlier in the day.

Food was better than expected. Icky night (3rd) was actually my favorite. I loved the lamb shank! Our servers in the Dining room were very good. They remembered certain food allergies etc. They were very accommodating.

We had drinks before 2nd seating each night in the schooner's bar. Drinks were fine, but service very slow. It would take on average 15-20 to get our drinks after they were ordered. The bar wasn't very crowded, so we couldn't figure out the delay.

The cruise in general was fun. Would it make me want to try another cruise with Royal Caribbean? Not so much. I hope the spruce the ship up in dry dock, it could use it.[/quote]

Sorry you didn't have a great experience. Just FYI, Icky Night (a/k/a Feast of Nations) is now the first night and the Venetian Feast is the third night. The only thing I miss about the dining room is that warm chocolate cake. Ala mode, of course.:)

Does anyone know when the Monarch is going into dry dock? What all are they going to be doing to it?

We we just on it back in September and had a great time. We were in GS 1532 and had no noise from above.

DW and I sailed on the Monarch in 1992 and one thing we noticed missing was the insert in the elavator telling you what day of the week it was.:(

We are sailing on her again next April (B2B). Will be our first time to the Bahamas and Coco Cay.

Eric

[quote name='retiredawacs']Does anyone know when the Monarch is going into dry dock? What all are they going to be doing to it?

We we just on it back in September and had a great time. We were in GS 1532 and had no noise from above.

DW and I sailed on the Monarch in 1992 and one thing we noticed missing was the insert in the elavator telling you what day of the week it was.:(

We are sailing on her again next April (B2B). Will be our first time to the Bahamas and Coco Cay.

Eric[/QUOTE]
[I][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]
We were told it would enter a one week drydock right after the Panama Canal cruise that begins this Friday. They said deep cleaning and a few things here and there, but nothing major.

At least for the past few years the Monarch has not had the day of the week in the elevators.[/COLOR][/I]

My husband and I planned our very first cruise for the Monarch on Jan 26, 2009--4 night to Bahamas. Knowing it's an older ship I have been reading good and some bad things, but since we have never cruised before we really have nothing to compare it to. We did get a great deal from our travel agent and booked an outside cabin on 8th deck (8050) how obstructed is the view from that deck and what is usually outside those windows? We will be on the cruise over my birthday any tips on that? Also, we haven't booked any excursions yet but would like to, what would you suggest for Cococay or Nassau? We were thinking the Discover Atlantis tour. How cold will it be in January as far as water activities? What are your opinions or suggestions for first timers on the excursions?

Thanks in advance :D

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Teal"]Your TA has you booked a good cabin. 8050 has little obstruction from the lifeboats. See the guide below. The cabins with the pink dots are between the life boats so they have a much less obstructed view than the others which are behind the boats. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[IMG]http://image30.webshots.com/466/7/72/47/2228772470046215528AbSjDk_ph.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='mohavemommy'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Your TA has you booked a good cabin. 8050 has little obstruction from the lifeboats. See the guide below. The cabins with the pink dots are between the life boats so they have a much less obstructed view than the others which are behind the boats. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[IMG]http://image30.webshots.com/466/7/72/47/2228772470046215528AbSjDk_ph.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Thanks so much for that info, i don't see the picture tho :( ....any info on the ports or ship in general, sorry I am new here :)

[quote name='cawagner']Thanks so much for that info, i don't see the picture tho :( ....any info on the ports or ship in general, sorry I am new here :)[/quote]

Certain cabins on deck 8(marked with dots) are not obstructed......

[URL="http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2744539470042692775jOfoba"][IMG]http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/39715/2744539470042692775S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Piepkorn']Certain cabins on deck 8(marked with dots) are not obstructed......

[URL="http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2744539470042692775jOfoba"][IMG]http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/39715/2744539470042692775S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

Thanks for the picture. We changed cabins (deck 9 for a cheaper price 9044) hope that is a good room!! It is bigger so that is a plus :D Do you know how obstructed the view is from our "new" cabin?

The deck 9 cabins have the lifeboats below the window. There is very little obstruction in these cabins. They are also larger... you made a good choice. Here are some pictures of the cabin I had on deck 9 on the Monarch.
[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2362060800046215528asUXAS][IMG]http://inlinethumb55.webshots.com/43894/2362060800046215528S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2421023500046215528RTyrcO][IMG]http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/42621/2421023500046215528S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2969498890046215528AOlQOe][IMG]http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/17508/2969498890046215528S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='cawagner']Thanks for the picture. We changed cabins (deck 9 for a cheaper price 9044) hope that is a good room!! It is bigger so that is a plus :D Do you know how obstructed the view is from our "new" cabin?[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][B][I]Just to reinforce what MohaveMommy said...[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][B][I]I've had a cabin on Deck 9 all four times time I've sailed on Monarch and if there is an obstruction outside the window, it's usually a davit (a mechanical arm that holds a lifeboat) which might minimally block your view. They aren't right up against the windows, but out a bit. You can see them well in this photo. (Deck 9 is the row of windows just above the tops of the lifeboats.)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][B][I][URL]http://nacdavis.com/image_gallery1/image8.JPG[/URL][/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][B][I]I don't think a davit has been directly in front of any of the windows of the cabins I've stayed in; they've been mainly off to the side or between windows. The lifeboats themselves are below your window level which can partially obstruct your view looking down onto the water, but not looking straight out. All in all, the davits have never bothered me and I've always had a nice view out the windows.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][B][I]I've never stayed in 9044 but these are the cabins I've stayed in and I think only one had a davit that I especially noticed but again, I really wasn't bothered by it at all.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][B][I]9548 (port side, midship)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][B][I]9536 (port side, midship) there was a davit outside the window, off to the side.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][B][I]9056 (starboard side, aft of midship) I think there might have been a davit off to the side.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][B][I]9062 (starboard side, aft)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][B][I]I hope that helps. All in all, I think you'll be pleased with your cabin choice.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

since so many of you have cruised this ship I wanted to ask if there is a lot to do for the kids on this ship? My kids will be 4 and 7 our next cruise and we are considering this ship..Any info would be great- judging by the comments i may want to consider a sail on this one with just me and hubby it looks fun!

[quote name='Iluvboatrides'][B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple]I have missed some posts, and perhaps I missed a discussion about optional steak in the dining room. I was on the Monarch the weekend of August 22. The menu has changed since I sailed on the Monarch in January. The optional daily choices are no longer on the menu....but there definitely is NOT a charge for "optional steak". There was a steak offered every night. Perhaps there were not enough people who requested items from that list and it was discontinued. [/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple]Our first night on the three day, one lady in our group of seven noticed that one steak dinners offered sauted zucchini, and she requested that with the "other" steak she ordered. She was told sorry that the chef would need some additional time to do it, and there was not time that evening to make the special request. As it turned out there was NOT sauted zucchini with the steak as shown on the menu....but the last two nights of the cruise, the head waiter arrived at our table with a plate of freshly done sauted zucchini. Another lady in our group always ordered the same thing, one of the selections of fish on the menu to come with a baked potato and steamed vegetables. After the first night, the waiter knew what she wanted. The steamed vegetables were not on the menu, but she had them every night. This makes me think you could tell your waiter every night that you would like a grilled sirloin steak instead of the other selections, and you would probably receive it. Needless to say, we were all impressed with the personalized service, especially the zucchini delivery every evening. It was her first cruise, and this added to the fun of the good service we all anticipate on a cruise. [/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#800080]We will be on the last four day of the Monarch on October 13. We are really going to miss a RCCL ship doing the three and four day boat rides out of San Pedro. :( We have already booked a four day on the Carnival Paradise for late spring 2009 so our tradition of at least one of these a year will continue. [/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B][/quote]

We just sailed on the Sovereign on 10/6/08 and there was no charge for the steak. My husband had it once and our table mates had it every night. We were told to ask for shrimp cocktail the first night and that we would like to have it every night. We had no issue with that at all and the third and fourth nights, they brought enough for the table. After the first night, our waiter brought extra appetizers and desserts every night to tempt us with. We loved it. I guess you can tell, since we are sailing the Monarch on 12/12/08! This time we are bringing our son!

[quote name='hillhouse']Make that a flexible "Balcony Snob".:D

At the great bargain these deck 8 cabins offer, and being only a 3- nighter, we decided to save the difference in cost for a JS or up.

Maybe we'll treat ourselves to some of those $15 steaks in the dining room:rolleyes:[/quote]

Just did the Sovereign and there was no charge for the steak offered every night.

[quote name='S_cruiser']Is there a library on the Monarch or do we need to plan on taking a book or 2 to read.

Thanks[/quote]

There is a library, but bring your own anyway. I donated about 80 books between July and October, and many of them had disappeared from the shelves by our last cruise on October 10. It's an honor system, and many people apparently lack honor.:mad: They start the book, don't finish it and then take it home instead of putting it back and buying their own copy at home.

[quote name='critterchick']There is a library, but bring your own anyway. I donated about 80 books between July and October, and many of them had disappeared from the shelves by our last cruise on October 10. It's an honor system, and many people apparently lack honor.:mad: They start the book, don't finish it and then take it home instead of putting it back and buying their own copy at home.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. It does seem that the shelves in the library always look emptier at the end of a cruise. I have also left books that I have read in the library when I leave a ship.

Archived