All things Monarch of the Seas

I have only booked the times I wanted, once I get onboard...........trust me,it wont be a problem.............I have been the MN 5 times this year and have always gotten the time I want............you just see the MTD guy when you board.....he'll be by the dining room door on deck 4(closest to the internet station)........the other door is for people just changing their arrangements.

You can tell them the time for all 4 nights if you want.......if not as you leave every night,you can do it then...........

Never been a problem getting a table for 2..........

I'm just back from a 4 night trip on the Monarch. I have to agree with most - the Monarch may be an older, smaller ship - but she still has lots of life left in her. Overall it was a very nice cruise.

Good things:

Service and food in the Main Dining Room (dinner and breakfast - never did lunch there)

The layout of the ship was great - easy to get most everywhere (see below for the exception)

Attentiveness of the staff - just right, not constantly pushing drinks but there when you wanted them

Cleanliness of the public areas

Room Attendants - always someplace you could find them if you needed something.

Entertainment - especially the piano bar

Not so good things:

Breakfast in the Windjammer - Cold food, self service toast with a toaster that took 5 tries to toast an english muffin to anything resembling toast.

Layout of the 5th floor on the RCC website didn't show the floor being split by a staircase - making navigation difficult for my mother in a wheelchair.

Seemed as though there were less organized activities on board than on other ships I have been on and some things were overlapping. Why schedule Quest during the buffet/dance on the pool deck??

I'm just back from a 4 night trip on the Monarch. I have to agree with most - the Monarch may be an older, smaller ship - but she still has lots of life left in her. Overall it was a very nice cruise.

Good things:

Service and food in the Main Dining Room (dinner and breakfast - never did lunch there)

The layout of the ship was great - easy to get most everywhere (see below for the exception)

Attentiveness of the staff - just right, not constantly pushing drinks but there when you wanted them

Cleanliness of the public areas

Room Attendants - always someplace you could find them if you needed something.

Entertainment - especially the piano bar

Not so good things:

Breakfast in the Windjammer - Cold food, self service toast with a toaster that took 5 tries to toast an english muffin to anything resembling toast.

Layout of the 5th floor on the RCC website didn't show the floor being split by a staircase - making navigation difficult for my mother in a wheelchair.

Seemed as though there were less organized activities on board than on other ships I have been on and some things were overlapping. Why schedule Quest during the buffet/dance on the pool deck??

That's good to hear. I'll be sailing on the Monarch for my first cruise ever at the end of the month, and I've been looking for a nice recent review. I know everyone has different experiences, but hearing that there were minimal issues on a cruise that just occurred makes me feel all the better!

That's good to hear. I'll be sailing on the Monarch for my first cruise ever at the end of the month, and I've been looking for a nice recent review. I know everyone has different experiences, but hearing that there were minimal issues on a cruise that just occurred makes me feel all the better!

It was a nice trip - the annoyances were small and the good far outweighed the not so good.

Have a great trip, you'll enjoy her.

just returned home from a 4 day, and let me tell you this is one great ship, and the best crew on the seas........we had so much fun. we were in a inside room on 6 and never heard a sound.

we had NO SAFE and NO FRIG. but the upside was we didn't need them.

there were more things to do than on some 7 day cruises, and the people on board were fun to be around.

the very best thing about this cruise is the crew the heart of rccl.

I agree too - friendliest crew I've encountered yet. I too love how easy the ship is to navigate. I found the Carnival Freedom this past April to be frustrating in their layout - so easy to miss ever seeing some places. The Monarch cruise we just did was my boyfriend's first cruise. He loved it so much he said that was the cruise he wants to take next year instead of going anywhere else.

Here's a quick question... I enjoy my nice hot showers in the mornings. Has anyone ever had a problem with pressure or temperature?

We were in an interior cabin on deck 5 over labor day on the Monarch and although the shower was small, it had great water pressure and plenty of hot water.

Here's a quick question... I enjoy my nice hot showers in the mornings. Has anyone ever had a problem with pressure or temperature?

Never ever had a problem with temperature or pressure on any Royal ship. On Monarch the showers are a bit small so the curtain will love you....

Any comments on the speciality restaurant Jade? Worth the extra cost?

Edit: Never mind---read other posts....how do you delete a post here? LOL

You dont...................unless you ask one of the mods to do it.........but hey,at least,you figured out how to edit!:D

Never ever had a problem with temperature or pressure on any Royal ship. On Monarch the showers are a bit small so the curtain will love you....

I remember that "love" thing on the Sovereign. The shower water also loved the rest of the bathroom. Did they ever upgrade those bathrooms in any way ? I have a friend that will be taking her first cruise ever on the Monarch, so I'd like to prepare her for what to expect. Haven't read this whole thread, I'm lazy.

Do the kids have fun on this ship ??

Why not 2 days at Nassau instead of a "sea day?"

Thanks !! :D

I remember that "love" thing on the Sovereign. The shower water also loved the rest of the bathroom. Did they ever upgrade those bathrooms in any way ? I have a friend that will be taking her first cruise ever on the Monarch, so I'd like to prepare her for what to expect. Haven't read this whole thread, I'm lazy.

Do the kids have fun on this ship ??

Why not 2 days at Nassau instead of a "sea day?"

Thanks !! :D

LOL, i can see it happen. Though... if the shower curtain stay inside the shower, then theres no way the rest of the bathroom will get wet.

I guess the ship needs to get back to Canaveral which doesnt really allow for another port of call (or an extra one). How did it used to be with Sovereign from Port Canaveral? Anyone?

We like the sea day. Theres a whole different vibe on the pool deck with loads of activities which Majesty lacks since she doesnt have a sea day.

Our last time on Monarch was in July this year and there were plenty of kids on board. They all seemed to have a great time. I did some filming in the Adventure Ocean area also and found that its up to par with the rest of the fleet. They do a great job with the kids.

She is the smallest and oldest, but she's a classic and looks good and still delivers a great experience.

:)

LOL, i can see it happen. Though... if the shower curtain stay inside the shower, then theres no way the rest of the bathroom will get wet.

I guess the ship needs to get back to Canaveral which doesnt really allow for another port of call (or an extra one). How did it used to be with Sovereign from Port Canaveral? Anyone?

We like the sea day. Theres a whole different vibe on the pool deck with loads of activities which Majesty lacks since she doesnt have a sea day.

Our last time on Monarch was in July this year and there were plenty of kids on board. They all seemed to have a great time. I did some filming in the Adventure Ocean area also and found that its up to par with the rest of the fleet. They do a great job with the kids.

She is the smallest and oldest, but she's a classic and looks good and still delivers a great experience.

The ships can get back to FL from Nassau overnight. That's why I don't see why the 4-day can't be with 2 days in Nassau, like they did back in 06-07. Thanks for the input though, the more I read - the more I'm convinced my friends kids will be quite happy. :)

The ships can get back to FL from Nassau overnight. That's why I don't see why the 4-day can't be with 2 days in Nassau, like they did back in 06-07. Thanks for the input though, the more I read - the more I'm convinced my friends kids will be quite happy. :)

Sure no problem.

If you haven't seen it yet. Here is a video I produced on the Monarch in July: 'Culinary Operations onboard Monarch of the Seas'

The next video is almost complete and it will be on 'Coco Cay'.

The ships can get back to FL from Nassau overnight. That's why I don't see why the 4-day can't be with 2 days in Nassau, like they did back in 06-07.

I dont recall it ever being 2 days in Nassau:confused: Thought it was the same as the SS------I,myself,prefer the sea day

Sure no problem.

If you haven't seen it yet. Here is a video I produced on the Monarch in July: 'Culinary Operations onboard Monarch of the Seas'

The next video is almost complete and it will be on 'Coco Cay'.

Still waiting for my email;)

I dont recall it ever being 2 days in Nassau:confused: Thought it was the same as the SS------I,myself,prefer the sea day

Still waiting for my email;)

Hye parrothead...

Sure... I didnt forget. Im just a bit busy at the moment editing some work. Doing the Coco Cay editing in between my spare time.

If you like Coco Cay, then the video is worth waiting for...

Its going to be just under 10 minutes...

;)

Used to be they did spend the night. Now a days though the port is so busy, there just isn't room fro her to spend two days. Some ships are in at 1 pm and out before midnight!

In June 1967 I sailed the SS Miami to Nassau on a 4 night crusie. We stayed two full days and left the morning of the third day! At night we would go out to the clubs all over the island. Not anymore. Nights are not real safe unless you go over to Atlantis.

Used to be they did spend the night. Now a days though the port is so busy, there just isn't room fro her to spend two days. Some ships are in at 1 pm and out before midnight!

The Majesty and the Monarch will be doing some 5 night holiday cruises this year spending 2 days in Nassau... Prices starting around $300.

Sure... I didnt forget. Im just a bit busy at the moment editing some work. Doing the Coco Cay editing in between my spare time.

If you like Coco Cay, then the video is worth waiting for...

Its going to be just under 10 minutes...

;)

Well hurry it up will ya? I really enjoyed the first video, makes me excited to get on board and eat some of that fine food :D

We just had a great 3 day cruise. We had only been on one other cruise before and that was a 9 day on the explorer for our honeymoon. This one was just a nice weekend getaway.

We could definitely tell the difference in size of ships. However this difference was unimportant. We had a great time anyway.

We were sandiwched in between some complainers at dinner though. One group was a senior citizen group and I think seniors by nature just like to complain. The guy complained the most the first night. He wasn't getting a roll or coffee quick enough. Then when the guy did pour his coffee he said 'you can fill it more than that'. Then he said 'is that hot? i like it hotter than that'. He bitched the whole time. Why don't people concentrate on enjoying the moment instead of griping the whole time?

The group on the other side of us complained about their table the first night. It was one of those long booths against the wall and they comaplined they didn't want to be looking at the wall. Seriously? There was 4 of them. They could have switched seats every other night. The one woman here did not smile the whole time. I can't stand people like this.

I felt bad for the waiter and head waiter.

The only minor gripe i had was that towards the end the luggage tags were not delivered to us, nor was a guest survey. We had no idea what to do with our luggage tag. ONe person on the phone told us they'd be delievered in the AM and one told us we come get them ourselves. It just seemed a little more unoriganized than our 9 day, but is that normal when comparing long cruises to short ones?

My wife and I wondered if they slack slightly on service for shorter cruises and smaller ships.

Anyone have any insight?

All in all it was a great Bahamas cruise and the water there was just beautiful. I love chilling on the deck with some brews overlooking the night sky during the pool deck party.

Son Dizzle

RCI-Explorer 5/07

RCI-Monarch 10/09

Archived