All things Monarch of the Seas

We just had a great 3 day cruise. We had only been on one other cruise before and that was a 9 day on the explorer for our honeymoon. This one was just a nice weekend getaway.

We could definitely tell the difference in size of ships. However this difference was unimportant. We had a great time anyway.

We were sandiwched in between some complainers at dinner though. One group was a senior citizen group and I think seniors by nature just like to complain. The guy complained the most the first night. He wasn't getting a roll or coffee quick enough. Then when the guy did pour his coffee he said 'you can fill it more than that'. Then he said 'is that hot? i like it hotter than that'. He bitched the whole time. Why don't people concentrate on enjoying the moment instead of griping the whole time?

The group on the other side of us complained about their table the first night. It was one of those long booths against the wall and they comaplined they didn't want to be looking at the wall. Seriously? There was 4 of them. They could have switched seats every other night. The one woman here did not smile the whole time. I can't stand people like this.

I felt bad for the waiter and head waiter.

The only minor gripe i had was that towards the end the luggage tags were not delivered to us, nor was a guest survey. We had no idea what to do with our luggage tag. ONe person on the phone told us they'd be delievered in the AM and one told us we come get them ourselves. It just seemed a little more unoriganized than our 9 day, but is that normal when comparing long cruises to short ones?

My wife and I wondered if they slack slightly on service for shorter cruises and smaller ships.

Anyone have any insight?

All in all it was a great Bahamas cruise and the water there was just beautiful. I love chilling on the deck with some brews overlooking the night sky during the pool deck party.

Son Dizzle

RCI-Explorer 5/07

RCI-Monarch 10/09

Hye,

Good to hear that you enjoyed the Monarch. No the behavior (lugage tags, survey, service) you mentioned is NOT normal. Its usually better than the bigger ships / longer voyages.

I would have ditched those complainers. I could'nt agree with you more... some people I think don't even realize how negative they are...or became...

Anyone have any experience with rooms on the ship being all the way forward? we wanted joining rooms with a window and all they had was 8000 and 8002. Also, does this room come with safe/mini fridge? We stayed on deck 9 last time and it did.

Thanks

The only time I stayed that far forward was on a Carnival ship {never again, to much motion for me}. I usually get midship, if not then I go for aft.

So you think too much motion going on that far forward?

Maybe I will see if i can switch it to something more mid-ship and just not get joined rooms...I would hate my kids first cruise to be sick with all the "extra" motion.

My wife and I enjoyed your video. For being an older ship, it sure is beautiful. I so look forward to seeing it in real life.

Are there more video's that you have done. I looked on Youtube for some but most are really bad. I got sucked into one of someone taking the tender from Cococay to the ship, I don't know how long that small trip takes, but I watched 6 minutes waiting for something else... :)

Thanks for the info!

Here's the menu from the 10/2 sailing

Night One

Starters

Fired Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (v) – creamy hummus and toasted pita paired with tangy red pepper

Shrimp Cocktail – served chilled with spicy sweet Royal cocktail sauce

Spinach Dip (v) – warm and creamy, this spinach dip is comfort food at its best. Served with crispy tortilla chips

Roasted Pumpkin and Apple Soup (v) – Pumpkins natural sweetness is balanced with crisp apples. Crème fraiche and fried sage add a savory touch

Onion Soup – caramalized onions are simmered in rich beef broth. Full of flavor each serving is finished with a Gruyere toast

Chilled Forest Berries and Buttermilk soup (v) – a unique combination of sweet, fresh berries blended with tart buttermilk

Caesar Salad – Crisp romaine lettuce and crunchy jumbo croutons, sprinkled with Parmesan shavings, served family style

Main Menu

Smoked Salmon Pasta – earthy sautéed mushrooms, crushed tomatoes and cream complement the flavors of smoked salmon and Grey Goose vodka

Grilled NY Strip Steak – juicy steak with decadent Béarnaise sauce, crispy potato wedges and sautéed zucchini

Risotto Primavera (v) – creamy risotto flavored with a hint of saffron and garnished with freshly grilled vegetables

Rice Biryani (v) – delicately flavored with saffron and spices, served with pappadams and tangy raita

Chefs Menu

Mahi Mahi Tempura – mild fish, lightly coated with tempura batter and fried golden. Served with stir-fried vegetables and homemade sweet and sour

Alternative Menu

Conchiglie with Mariana Sauce (v) - fragrant sauce of tomatoes, onion, garlic, simmered and tossed with al dente pasta pasta

Fresh Alaskan Salmon – broiled fish filet served with Chef’s choice of vegetables

Chicken Breast with Seasonal Herbs - grilled breast of chicken perfumed with rosemary and served with assorted vegetables

Black Angus Top Sirloin – grilled to order, topped with herb butter and served with garden vegetables

Vitality Menu

Roasted Turkey – served with apple bread dressing, rich pan gravy, a mound of creamy mashed potatoes and tart cranberry sauce

Desserts

Brownie Madness – a dollop of bittersweet chocolate mousse perched atop a chocolate brownie and drizzled with semi sweet chocolate sauce

Key Lime Pie – tangy creamy custard with the distinctive flavor of key lime nestled in a flaky pie cruise

Banana and Crunchy Nut Parfait (v) – creamy frozen banana custard in layers of luscious whipped cream finished with caramel fudge sauce, almonds and macadamia nuts

Sugar Free Key Lime Pie – tangy sugar free key lime custard in a flaky pie cruise served with marinated berries

Low Fat Strawberry Shortcake – light buttermilk pound cake layered with glazed sliced strawberries

Night Two

Starters

Orange Carpaccio – thinly sliced citrus complemented by the sweet sharpness of red onion, the salty bit of feta cheese and tangy cumin mint yoghurt

Shrimp Cocktail – served chilled with spicy-sweet Royal cocktail sauce

Escargots Bourguignonne – tender snails, drenched in melted garlic herb butter and baked to perfection

Lobster Bisque – rosy colored and laced with cognac and whipped cream, this is a classic fare

Oxtail Broth – rich beef broth scented with aged sherry, served with a crispy cheese twist

Chilled Golden Pear Soup (v) – delicately sweet, this chilled soup serves as a canvas for the dark red of the dried cranberry garnish

Caesar salad – simple and classic. Crisp romaine lettuce with shaved parmesan and herbed croutons

Main Courses

Truffle Wild Mushroom Linguini Alfredo (v) – white truffle oil enhances the earthiness of the wild mushrooms in the creamy pasta dish

Golden Sea Bass – Pan-seared and served on a mound of creamy black polenta, and accompanied by Spanish sofrito and fried capers

Roasted Duck – a black currant sauce and sweet red cabbage complement the richness of the duck, while golden brown croquette potatoes add texture

Potato curry (v) – potatoes, onion and rich spicy tomato curry served with fragrant basmati rice, pappadams and tangy raita

Chefs Menu

Filet of Beef – piquant green peppercorn sauce is the perfect partner to this tender cut of beef. Served with a mound of creamy whipped potatoes and meaty sautéed crimini mushrooms

Alternative Menu

Linguini with Marinara Sauce – Fragrant sauce of tomatoes, onions and garlic, simmered and tossed with al dente pasta

Fillet of Atlantic Salmon – broiled fish fillet served with Chef’s choice of vegetables

Chicken Breast with Seasonal Herbs – grilled breast of chicken perfumed with rosemary served with assorted vegetables

Black Angus Top Sirloin – grilled to order, topped with herb butter and served with garden vegetables

Vitality Menu

Eggplant Mozzarella Tower (v) – thick sautéed slices of eggplant, drizzled with balsamic glaze, surrounded by chunky plum tomato sauce

Desserts

Grand Marnier Soufflé – with each bite this warm delicacy melts on the tongue to release a hint of slightly bittersweet orange liqueur

Double Strawberry Cheesecake – creamy cheesecake laced with a strawberry swirl, Add a dollop of whipped cream, a spoonful of strawberry compote and enjoy!

Cherries Jubilee (v) – warmed, dark red cherries laced with Kirsch, Generously ladled over vanilla ice cream

Low Fat Double strawberry Cheesecake – low fat cheesecake laced with a strawberry swirl, Add a spoonful of strawberry compote and enjoy!

Sugar Free Coconut Vanilla Layer Cake – a Tahitian vanilla mousse rests between layers of moist cake, Toasted coconut adds a bit of crunch

Night Three

Starters

Caprese Salad (v) – creamy fresh mozzarella and sun ripened tomatoes drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. Simple yet perfect

Antipasti – Cured Italian ham, seasonal melon, grilled vegetables, marinated Portabella mushrooms, and baked caramelized garlic

Scallop Risotto – delicate sea scallops enhanced by the sweetness of corn, served over a creamy mascarpone risotto

Creamy Roasted Garlic Soup – mild and fragrant garnished with rye bread croutons

Minestrone(v) – A hearty tomato soup, filled with vegetables and pasta, sprinkled with Pecorino Romano cheese

Strawberry Bisque(v)– perfectly chilled soup garnished with a sprig of fragrant mint

Insulate Mesta (v) – mixed greens, crisp zucchini, sweet red bell peppers and black olives

Main Menu

Rigatoni Pasta – spicy chorizo sausage, colorful bell peppers, grilled corn, olive oil and basil lend a Southwestern twist to this dish

Garlic Tiger Shrimp – reminiscent of classic shrimp scampi; sautéed in garlic herb butter and accompanied by seasonal vegetables

Chicken Marsalis – sautéed chicken scaloppini nestled in Marsala mushroom sauce, served with buttery mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables

Kaju Paneer Dhansak – paneer, fenugreek, tarka dal and pineapple curry served with fragrant basmati rice, pappadams and tangy raita

Chefs Menu

Lamb Shank with Rosemary – succulent lamb shank flavored with a hint of rosemary and served with oven roasted vegetables and garlic mashed potatoes

Alternative Menu

Rigatoni with Marinara sauce (v) – fragrant sauce of tomatoes, onion and garlic simmered and tossed with al dente pasta

Fillet of Atlantic Cod – broiled fish fillet served with Chef’s choice of vegetables

Chicken Breast with Seasonal Herbs - grilled breast of chicken perfumed with rosemary and served with assorted vegetables

Black Angus Top Sirloin - grilled to order, topped with herb butter and served with garden vegetables

Desserts

Warm Chocolate Cake (v) warm chocolate cake complemented by milk chocolate sauce and sweet roasted pears

Raspberry Panna Cotta – full of raspberry flavor, this light Italian dessert is served on a crunchy almond butter cookie

Tiramisu – this creamy dessert combines the best of several worlds: mascarpone, espresso, Kahlua

Low Fat Angel Food Cake – light as a feather, with Grand Mariner marinated strawberries

Sugar Free Chocolate Mint Cake – layers of moist chocolate sponge cake and silky sugar free chocolate mint mousse

Has anyone stayed on deck 7 outside cabin?

I can never find them listed on the website to be able to check price/availability and price drops LOL I did call RCC and they said that they have the cabins available I was looking for (we are smokers and last year saw the cabins on that side of the ship :cool: don't flame us for being smokers) but the are in good location to sneak out for a smoke ;)

Why are they never listed on the website? and those of you that stayed in those cabins on deck 7 how did you check back for price drops?

Archived