Vanilla in the Caribbean??

kathyjack

Has any purchased pure vanilla extract in either Barbados, Dominica, Aruba, or St. Thomas? If so, where? I've never seen it in the Caribbean, but I seem to remember a thread saying someone had purchased it in Barbados. I hate artificial vanilla and would love to get some while on my January cruise. Thanks!

Yes, I have purchased real vanilla extract and vanilla beans in Barbados. You can purchase them at the little mall next to the cruise dock. They did seem to be of pretty high quality and VERY inexpensive!

I bought ALOT of Vanilla in Cozumel. It is SO cheap!! I am just starting to run out, just in time to restock in October. I bought many of the 4oz. bottles and gave them as "stocking stuffers" to friends at Xmas. Make sure you get REAL vanilla, we saw many offering "imitation" vanilla... check the label.

Yup, I know I can get it in the southern Caribbean - have always bought it in Mexico too. Just wasn't sure if my four ports would have it. I'll try Barbados, sounds like it would be easy to get with the shops right outside of the ship.

Bunkie103

If you are interested in getting pure vanilla in Cozumel you might want to try a store called Chedraui. This is pronounced shay dra wee. It is as close to a Wal Mart as you can find in Coz. The is store is located about four blocks south of downtown and the Punta Langusto dock. You will see the police station and it is directly across the street and on the east side of Melgar St. We purchased a 1ltr bottle for less than $2 USD. Brought home about 8 bottles for ourselves and for gifts. It was very good.

Archived