Door decorations?

shutterbun

Hi all, first time cruiser here, counting down the hours til I leave!

From perusing these boards, I've seen quite a few mentions of "door decortations," most frequently from people advertising that they are with a particular CC group, or whatnot.

So, what's the deal with the door decorations? Is it a common maritime ritual? What does a typical "door decoration" consist of? Do the cruise lines frown on them?

It's in my nature to find out as much as I can about the local customs and "things to do when in Rome" so I thought I'd ask about this particular practice. I'll be traveling with a good size group (about 250 people) and I don't want to miss out on any of the shipboard shennanigans.

thanks!

I don't know about traveling with large groups, but I'll be decorating my door on our cruise. I'm sailing with two birthday girls and I'll be putting up a magnetic "Happy Birthday" and decorations for them...

There are lots of threads in here about decorating your door... many many different reasons to do so!

Well, if your friends with the people in your group it helps to identify that all of you are together.

It also helps you find your cabin after several drinks of the day!

We are leaving on a family cruise next week and will have decorations identifying who we are. This way if I know a family member is aft on the port side I can easily find their room.

From perusing these boards, I've seen quite a few mentions of "door decortations," most frequently from people advertising that they are with a particular CC group, or whatnot.

So, what's the deal with the door decorations? Is it a common maritime ritual? What does a typical "door decoration" consist of? Do the cruise lines frown on them?

It's in my nature to find out as much as I can about the local customs and "things to do when in Rome" so I thought I'd ask about this particular practice. I'll be traveling with a good size group (about 250 people) and I don't want to miss out on any of the shipboard shennanigans.

thanks!

I would say that MOST people don't decorate their doors, at least not on the cruises i've been on. My daughter and I cruised over July 4th, so we had July 4th decorations on the door and in the cabin. We also had a door poster that one of the men from our roll call actually had made up and then he sent all of us one. The ships don't mind if you decorate your door, at least i don't think they do! Just use doublestick tape or something like that. Don't use the blue clay like stuff because one time i used that in a sunday school classroom and it pulled the paint off the wall! What group are you traveling with? Some people go all out and make top to bottom door posters. I've seen doors decorated in a college football theme, etc. Go to webshots.com and do a search and i'll bet you can get some examples of door decorations. Just be aware that anything you decorate your door with shouldn't be expensive or sentimental just in case someone steals it or messes with it, although I've never had anything happen to any of my decorations. You can pick a theme, go to a party store, teacher supply store, etc. and look for things to put on your door! To ME it is a really fun part of getting ready for the cruise!:D

is parts from Dollar Tree, and stickkers from craft store..Really girly for me, also a CC-er one w/stickkers too..My Reg ship cabin crew know "Sheeee's baaaack" when they see my pretty door. I get left notes on it too..this one is on its 10/11th coming up..and it's only been cruising 11 months!..Good Luck with all yours..you might make a contest out of it for your large group, and especially if there are kids along

Just got off of the Glory on Sat. a.m. Had a WONDERFUL cruise. Enjoyed absolutely every part of it. We did decorate our door. Had a western pix of girlfriend and I (could not see our faces) then we put "You know you are in Wyoming when..." I laminated it. Then we punched holes in the bottom and tied ribbon. It sure looked cute!! Stuck it on the door with this putty type stuff you can buy at Walmart. Did not see any other door decorations on our floor. But oh well...we always enjoyed looking at it whenever we entered our cabin. Enjoy your cruise.... :D

I don't know about traveling with large groups, but I'll be decorating my door on our cruise. I'm sailing with two birthday girls and I'll be putting up a magnetic ...

We just got off a cruise with a very large CC group. Some one made us very nice magnetic door signs. Most of them were stolen the first port day. I recommend, they paper signs now, none of them were taken. Just remember not to put up anything that you would be upset about losing. This is the second time I've lost mine.

Hey, lots of people do door decorations in almost every conceivable style you can think of, some simple, some really elaborate. Here's a picture of the one we had made for Miracle cruise. We also added "guestbook" type sheets to the door as well that had a picture of the Miracle, the dates of the cruise, fish and places for people passing by to sign and leave us messages. It was cool and went over well!

We'll planning a whole different style for our next 2 cruises so have fun with it!

DSC00369.jpg.88475d1e2273b41da46fd34bc4ed70b4.jpg

Hey, lots of people do door decorations in almost every conceivable style you can think of, some simple, some really elaborate. Here's a picture of the one we had made for Miracle cruise. We also added "guestbook" type sheets to the door as well that had a picture of the Miracle, the dates of the cruise, fish and places for people passing by to sign and leave us messages. It was cool and went over well!

We'll planning a whole different style for our next 2 cruises so have fun with it!

that is cute I am have to sit here and think what lkind of decoration I want on my door.

thanks!

Sailed on Carnival Liberty on 9/23, and saw just a few doors decorated this time. We decorated our door for my sisters birthday, going with a theme of "Under the Sea". We had fish, blue aquatic streamers, etc. on the door, along with a sign-in sheet and Sharpies for people to add comments. She collected quite an assortment of signatures/comments on that !

Wow you went all out girlfriend that was awesome!

We each made a poster last time to put on our door and this time we made a bunch of posters. One has a map of the Carribbean with all our ports marked in glitter. Another has pictures of all our ports. Another has pictures of cruise activities. Another will have our picture and our first names.

We also decorate the inside of our cabin. We have some hanging foil fish, a paper parrot banner, an inflatable palm tree and some halloween cutouts.

It's fun to do and it always made me happy to see the cabin when I'd come back from somewhere. One of the room service people commented on how much she liked our door so I can't imagine that they'd frown on it!

We are sailing Oct. 21st for our 25th Anniversary, so I have made up a door decoration for that, but also, since we are sailing during halloween time and on the "Spirit", I couldn't help but make up a halloween door decoration about sailing with the Spirits on the Spirit under a full moon. So I have made up both themes. You can see them in my banner in my signature too.

Not sure I'd want pictures showing faces of two females sharing a cabin. Not that I'm paranoid, or anything. Just doesn't seem wise.

How do y'all make those huge banners? And how would you attach something for people to sign/write on? Do you put it on the door or on the wall? Don't adolescents roaming the halls decide it would be fun to ruin someone's handiwork?

I'm not very creative or artsy. Maybe DD can come up with something.

I'd like a palm tree with Christmas lights.

I plan on decorating our door and room with a Halloween theme, since we'll be on the ship over Halloween. I'm keeping it a secret from my boys! I can't wait to hear their reaction.

:) I was thinking the same thing. I think the window cling decorations may stick.

Our door decorations are one of the things my 5 & 7 year old LOVE about cruising. I've done decorations for birthdays and also just so they would know which room was ours. The dollar store is my supply center, that way I only spend a few dollars and it doesn't matter if anything gets torn or comes up missing... though the only thing we've ever had taken was a balloon. That was on our RCI cruise and we even had a problem with our Do Not Disturb signs being taken on that cruise.

Hope the Legend has metal doors:p ; was going to recycle the hand-made ones i used last cruise - just attached the magnetic tape to them.;)

screen names, hometown, etc...sure makes it easy to find that cabin after a long day.

do know that shortly before our sailing, it was reported that the cabin stewards had orders to remove any that "protruded" from the door; evidently people were getting over the top as to 3-D ones & they got cited for a safety violation? Have read that line (DCL) has since relaxed their stance; any issues on Carnival?

Archived