"Slap Strap" Question

Ryffian

So I finally got a mask ... I think I'm gonna love it. The guy at the dive shop recommended that I get a Slap Strap to replace the silicone strap to avoid getting my hair tangled all up in it. No problem.

So I get the stuff home, and I'm trying to "install" the slap strap onto the mask. The "plush" side that the velcro straps stick to should end up facing your head, right? (With the cool graphic side facing out.) Here's my problem ... the straps on the slap strap are wider than the mask's original strap (and strap openings) and I can't get the darn things to go through nicely.

It'll be a few days before I can back to the dive shop. Any suggestions?

Well I have to admit, I've never heard of the "slap strap".... I use the regular strap for the mask but I have the material cushion covering for the strap...... It works great and my hair is rarely caught in it... ;)

Have you tried the mask without the slap strap? My wife uses the straps that came with her mask with no problems. Where the hair tends to get caught is in the snorkel keeper.

One of our friends uses a slap on her's, and has the same issue. Hair gets caught in her snorkle keeper.

I sense a pattern.... :D

if you're snorkeling, try using the regular strap, odds are your mask will stay on until the end of the swim and your hair won't be an issue. If you're diving, just wear a beanie or bandana to cover your hair. Works well for my wife! Otherwise, just trim the velcro straps (I'm assuming they are like others I've seen) and you'll be fine.

Or you can do what my wife did. She got a cover that wraps around the original strap that came with the mask. It uses the Velcro to hold it on so you don't have to take the strap off. If your LDS(local dive shop) does not have them, you can get it on line from most major dive gear supplier, Divers Direct, Divers Supply, or Leisure Pro for about 10$ Now go blow some bubbles!

DSAO

I have super curly hair and my slap strap is a life saver. I know what you're talking about. The velcro is just slightly wider than the thingys that hold the strap on your mask. It WILL work. You just have to fold to velcro over a bit and pinch it to get it started. Once it's in there, it will pull through. It just takes a lot of patience and persistance and sometimes a pair of pliers. Be careful not to force it with the pliers though...or you'll end up buying a new mask! Good luck!

My "slap strap" actually replaces the strap on my mask. I have shoulder-length hair, and even with pigtails (so very attractive) I still have hair issues, so this is a lifesaver.

My dive buddy on our last trip saw my strap and said she liked it much better than her around-the-existing-strap version.

Bonus: I keep the original plastic strap in my mask case in case I ever need it.

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Yes, I have that issue as well. However, a pair of sturdy tweezers and a small pair of needle-nose pliers will work pretty well.

I use a 'slap strap' on my most-used mask that does not have Velcro, as my hair tends to get caught in the hooky side of the Velcro. (OW!!!). The down side to this is that the strap tends to get pulled on, and it eventually settles back to the adjustment length for my old mask.

However, DH prefers the Velcro kind, so depending on which mask I pick up that day is whether I'm pulling my hair out of it.

On the Velcro straps we have, the faces are opposite - the 'fixed' side has the plushy side facing in & loops facing out. On the 'adjustable' side the strap goes on the head side, with the plushy part of the Velcro facing out. Then the strap goes through the buckles, and sticks back on the plushy side to adjust on the fly.

I also use a lycra hood, and have now added beanie for when the water is cold (< 85 or so).

Have a great trip!

Wendy

Archived