directions from NYC Times Square to Pier?

jnv

can you give me the directions from Times Square to the Pier? We will be taking a cab from our hotel (located near Times Square) and just want to have the directions for the driver. Thanks so much.

I don't have the directions, but why don't you go on either Mapquest or Google and download them?

In any case, I just returned from 4 days in New York and took many taxis. I don't think you'll have any problem. All the drivers spoke English and they all knew where they were going. A big improvement for out-of-towners! If you have a lot of luggage have your hotel ask for a minivan taxi.

can you give me the directions from Times Square to the Pier? We will be taking a cab from our hotel (located near Times Square) and just want to have the directions for the driver. Thanks so much.

It's true that many taxi drivers don't know where Red Hook Pier is, or at least that's the story they'll use. Just keep asking and one of them in the end will agree to take you.

As for directions, it couldn't be simpler... Just tell the guy to cross Brooklyn Bridge and as you're crossing the river you'll see the pier and ship down on the right hand side. Once over the bridge all he has to do is take a right and follow his nose.

The cabbie should go west to the West Side Highway (seems counter-intuitive, but go with it) to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Follow the signs to the pier when leaving the tunnel. This is the fastest way to get there. You might also check the East Coast Departures board for more detailed instructions.

Get in the cab and close the door before you tell the driver you are going to Red Hook; either that or have your hotel's doorman arrange the cab. You may meet some reluctance to make this trip.

since we have never been to NY, I am wondering what you mean when you say there might be some reluctance to take us to the port? Can you please explain? is it a dangerous area, or very difficult to get to? Thanks for any info.

since we have never been to NY, I am wondering what you mean when you say there might be some reluctance to take us to the port? Can you please explain? is it a dangerous area, or very difficult to get to? Thanks for any info.

Its not dangerous at all. They just don't know where it is and it is out of the way for them to get a fare back.

As others have said its actually just behind the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel in Brooklyn. Don't take the Broadway way downtown its terrible for traffic most of the day, if you take a cab the most direct way is to go to the west side highway and take it to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel(actually you go to 11th Avenue make a left and it runs into "the west side highway" which is actually just west street just below 23rd street.

The Brooklyn Bridge way is actually much more scenic you go over the Brooklyn Bridge and can see you ship at the Red Hook Pier in the distance but the correct way to go is after the Brooklyn Bridge stay straight ahead to Atlantic Avenue make a right on Atlantic Avenue and after you go under the Highway make a left and then the first right which as you follow it around and see the signs will lead you right to the Red Hook Cruise terminal.

Finally if you take the F train and get off at either Bergen or Carroll Street please take a cab. Its not six blocks as Joseph describes and while for safety its not unsafe you don't want to be carrying luggage for over a mile which is what it is to the terminal itself as opposed to the entrance to the terminal. You should have little problem catching a cab on Smith street although once again they won't know where the terminal is. Cabbies know Manhattan very well and where the airports are but whether you ask them to take you to the Hunt's Point Market(in the Bronx) or the Cloisters in upper Manhattan, its just they don't go there very often....

I live about block from the Bergen Street stop of the F train PS not one calls it the Red or Orange line its the F train

http://www.nycruise.com Brooklyn terminal

That's exactly what I meant -- if they drive you clear to Brooklyn, chances are they will be returning to Manhattan with an empty cab.

Actually they will get a fare if they know what they are doing. If they go up clinton street or Smith Street about 3/4 of the time they will get a fare back to Manhattan..but most of the time they just want to get back to Manhattan so fast they will take the tunnel back to the Wall Street area.

Last summer we took the Princess transfer from the airport to the pier. Our bus driver got lost several times. After a while, I actually asked him to stop the bus so that I could get out and ask for directions. He finally did ... and we finally got there. We were on the Crown's second voyage so the Red Hook pier was new to a lot of drivers. Hopefully, after thousands of passengers, it's no longer such a strange place.

There are less than 51 days that ships are at the Brooklyn Pier in 2007. They are equally divided between the Princess and the Cunard(with one or two sailings from other ships). let us say there are 2000 passengers each trip(its actually less)...but less than half take cabs. Most take the Bus followed by cabs followed by private cars. there are about 11,800 cabs in New York and about 30.000 drivers. The chances any of them have been there more than once are pretty small. The airports have more people in one day(and sometimes in one hour) than the Cruise terminal will have all season.

In contrast Manhattan has 206 sailing in 2007....

I would recommend NOT taking the subway, because, if you're anything like the people with whom I cruise, you will have at least one large piece of luggage per person. And it would be a pain in the ass to deal with that . . . especially having to wheel it through Times Square and then navigate the 42nd ST/Times Sq. stop with it.

I live only four (long) blocks from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. I went on a cruise out of/into there this summer, and my party walked to the ship from my place after brunch for embarkation. It was enough of an inconvenience that we all took cabs when we disembarked.

Finally if you take the F train and get off at either Bergen or Carroll Street please take a cab. Its not six blocks as Joseph describes and while for safety its not unsafe you don't want to be carrying luggage for over a mile

I live about block from the Bergen Street stop of the F train PS not one calls it the Red or Orange line its the F train

www.nycruise.com Brooklyn terminal

Well, about the F train...thats I Learn it from you in the other thread NY for a first timer......also.. thank you very much for telling and explaining me about the NY subway...:):):)

Well, about the F train...thats I Learn it from you in the other thread NY for a first timer......also.. thank you very much for telling and explaining me about the NY subway...:):):)
I think you were the only one who read it and of course you are welcome.

Sid

The question doesnt specify which pier in New York but all of the answers are referring to Red Hook. Maybe they are departing from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. ????

The question doesnt specify which pier in New York but all of the answers are referring to Red Hook. Maybe they are departing from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. ????

This originally was on the Princess Board and has been moved here. Princess docks in Brooklyn....

Archived