Sleep Inn Fort Lauderdale-safe area?

readytolose

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so forgive me if it's not. We will be staying at the Sleep Inn (Dania) for 2 nights before our cruise and then also one night after our cruise. We arrive in Fort Lauderdale on Thanksgiving day around noon. We would like to go to the beach and walk the Broadwalk, go to Dave and Busters one night (which looks to be about 2 miles away) etc. Any other suggestions would be great.

Anyways, my question is concerning the area. Is it a safe area to walk? Would we be able to get a taxi easily for places a little out of walking distance? Or is there a bus service that would be relatively easy to figure out without ending up in some other city?

I was thinking about getting a rental car but the prices are a little high since it is a holiday and I don't think I can justify the cost when we probably can walk to most places.

Anyways, my question is concerning the area. Is it a safe area to walk? Would we be able to get a taxi easily for places a little out of walking distance? Or is there a bus service that would be relatively easy to figure out without ending up in some other city?

The area is primarily residential, it is a safe area to walk day or night. You can easily obtain a taxi at the hotel to bring you to the broadwalk or D&B's. There is public transit that runs past the hotel, I do not know the route numbers or schedules though.

For anyone else staying at the Sleep Inn Dania, below is information that Bequia gave me in another thread:

Originally Posted by Bequia

Sleep Inn is 1.5 miles from Hollywood Beach, one of if not the nicest beaches in SoFla. I'd recommend a cab and have them drop you off at the Marriott on Hollywood Beach. It's a great starting point to walk either north or south on the oceanfron broadwalk. Not only that, they have a fantastic open air cafe overlooking the ocean with an ecclectic menu. Simply delicious. The broadwalk is almost 3 miles long, very safe and secure.

Here's a virtual tour of the beach:

http://www.hollywoodfl.org/virtual_t.../broadwalk.htm

And another link:

http://www.visithollywood.org/

Marriott Hollywood Beach:

http://www.hollywoodbeachmarriott.com/

The cab fare should be minimal, $5-$8 each way. There's always cabs waiting for fares at the Marriott. The walk from the Sleep Inn to the beach is doable, it's flat with the only rise crossing over the drawbridge that traverses the intracoastal. I enjoy a good walk too but I would save my energy for the broadwalk beach walk. Trust me, it's a really gorgeous beach, the broadwalk is wonderful, you can check out all the family owned oceanfront hotels and motels.

I'm willing to bet after your visit you'll book a week in one of the properties for your next visit. Depending on the time of the year it's best to walk early morning or late afternoon as the nid-day sun and heat can get to you. (unless of course you bring your bathing suit, showers are available at almost every other block on the broadwalk )

Thank you for all the help. Looks like it shouldn't be too hard to get a taxi or even the bus. I'll look up some information on the bus schedule so I have an idea of what to expect ahead of time but we probably will just do a taxi.

Archived