Remember your very 1st Cruise?Just for laughs..

neya

It is clear to me that you never forget the first time. We sailed the NCL Dream, it is sad to think she's at the breakers now.

The muster was out on the deck with every one in our group pressed together in in a space clearly designed for less people, One little old gal got freaked because of the press of people and we all worked to mover her to the front, she was so grateful and nice. Then the roll call to make sure every one was there, then the waiting as they look for those hiding in the john.

Our room was in the very bottom of the boat, waves would regularly flash over our two port holes. I remember looking out the port hole that first light and not being able to see anything, the ocean is dark at night. One night security and the deck crew (security to assure us everything was okay and the deck crew to do the work) showed up to put big metal covers over the port holes as seas that night we supposed to be 12' to 15'.

It didn't take long for us to developed a routine, breakfast buffet, wake p my DW, 2nd breakfast, morning activities, lunch, swimming (the sea was so rough we were often the only ones in the pool -- the salt water pool) snacks, trivia in the lounge, early dinner, the buffet, the early show, the buffet again, the late show, and yep you guessed it -- late night chili and hotdogs. It has been said that we march on my stomach this time we sailed on my stomach.

The last day of our trip we passed a pod of orca, I snapped pitchers of them until they were well back of the ship. Then they started to jump and breach. I held down the button on the camera and got a lot of pitcher of these little dots hopping out of the ocean. Later when we got home and looked at the photos at full magnification on our computer, the turned out to be humpies.

We had a great time and we're completely hooked.

OK, My hubby and I went on a NCL cruise back in 1984!!!! I was a teen bride marrying my soldier boy;). The cruise was a honeymoon gift from my mom. I don't remember much, we came out of the cabin to eat every once in awhile. Our cabin had a port hole. not a window. I have the picture they took outside the diningroom.

This year was our 25th anniversary and we are going on a RCI this fall. I plan to scrapbook our "updated" picture opposite the 1984 picture.

OK, My hubby and I went on a NCL cruise back in 1984!!!! I was a teen bride marrying my soldier boy;). The cruise was a honeymoon gift from my mom. I don't remember much, we came out of the cabin to eat every once in awhile. Our cabin had a port hole. not a window. I have the picture they took outside the diningroom.

This year was our 25th anniversary and we are going on a RCI this fall. I plan to scrapbook our "updated" picture opposite the 1984 picture.

Will you be in a balcony? suite? Congrats on your 25th Anniversary! Corkey

Thanks, boy the years have just flown by:) We will be in a Grand Suite! We have come a long way since Army life. But I wouldn't have traded all those year for anything. "We never went on vacations we just moved there." was our family moto.

Carol

Thanks, boy the years have just flown by:) We will be in a Grand Suite! We have come a long way since Army life. But I wouldn't have traded all those year for anything. "We never went on vacations we just moved there." was our family moto.

Carol

Good for you! enjoy! I've only peeked into a GS...

I am a Carol too - corkey carol

Our first cruise was last year on the Holiday with all of my husbands family. I was really worried about leaving the kids home (kids...they were 21 and 18!) but in our whole 22 years of marriage we never left home without the kids. I remember me and my husband packed for three weeks (packing, shopping, repacking, unpacking to make sure we had everything packed...) And, yes, I overpacked. I think I took ALL of my clothes!

The drive to Mobile took 14 hours (I am terrified of flying) and when we got to Kentucky I started to not worry about the kids so much (ok, I called them every hour and at every state line I took a pic and sent it to them.)

I remember when we got to Mobile (2 days early) we went to the USS Alabama and I just looked out over the Gulf, I had never seen it before and it as beautiful.

The next morning we went to the port and there was the ship and even though I was excited for the three months before it didn't seem real until I saw the ship!

It took awhile to board because they said the computers went down and we saw alot of people were taking their own water and pop (we didn't know we could do that)

I could not believe it when we finally boarded, we found my husband's parents and brothers and sister and we had lunch on the Lido deck. When we went to our room our bags (alot of bags!) were outside of our door and we unpacked, then went to the front of the ship and watched while we pulled out. Really regretted not having the video camera on! Went to the muster drill which I thought was kind of exciting, then went to dinner where I swear I have never been so waited on in my life!

The saddest part of the whole cruise was when they sang, "Your bags are packed..." the last night at dinner, thats when it hits you that it's over. :-(

Ok, the funniest part, we were in the gift shop and we were in some really rough seas and I picked up a couple of the glass seahorse and dolphin knocknacks I bought for my bathroom, anyway I was standing there seeing how well balanced they were to make sure they wouldn't fall off the shelf in the bathroom and I remembered, MY HOUSE DOESN'T ROCK BACK AND FORTH!

Anyway, we are on the Pride in Sept. out of Baltimore (only a 7 hour drive) and we can't wait. Just the other day my husband wanted to get the suitcases from the attic and start packing! We are already planning our next cruise after that.

My first cruise--wow that was awhile ago. On the Emerald Seas - 1986 I think. EEK. Anyway, we lived in Ft Laud at the time so it was just a short drive. I remember that I didn't want to go. My fiancee and his family really had to talk me into it. I remember thinking I would feel claustrophic, bored, sick, etc. So, I went reluctantly. Then I had the time of my life and they practically had to drag me off! I was hooked!!! I can't imagine how I ever felt that way. It was only a 3 or 4 night cruise but I managed to get the most out of it! We still talk about that cruise! (and now we are married for almost 22 years - going on Oasis of the Seas next July!)

My first cruise was for 3 nights in 1989 on a cruiseline that went out of business soon after that, Admiral Cruises Emerald Seas, I think (my relationship went out of business soon after that too...I think the cruise just did us in). The dining room was nice enough, but the rest of the ship was awful. We had to step over a threshold to get into the cabin. We were on a low deck, and heard banging all night. There was a tiny porthole. I don't know if there were any shows, as I didn't go to any. My clothing was ruined by soot on the pool deck. On disembarkation day, the only place to go was the pool deck, and it seemed we waited for hours to get off. My second cruise was a 10 night Princess cruise with my mother-in-law. I was 25 and most everyone else was 65 and up (there may have been 10 people who weren't). We were the ONLY passengers in the disco after the midnight buffets.

Archived