Pros/cons - cruise VS an all inclusive vacation

Herby

I have been on a few cruises and loved them but wanted to try on all inclusive on one of the islands that we like but am worried I will wish I was cruising instead. Has anyone done both that can give me any insight? I know drinks are included with the all inclusive....

Herby

I know drinks are included with the all inclusive
When I asked this question a few months back on USENET, we got that as one of "advantages" of an all-inclusive, and a major justification for the higher price. Since we don't drink alcohol, it was one reason we decided not to consider all-inclusives. It made it clear to me that it was a good idea to provide some background for the comparison, outlining what was and wasn't important to us. (Once we did that, we got a clear pointer away from the all-inclusives, of course.)

Have done several all inclusives and had a teriffic time. I thought they were a very good value for the money. We did one to Cancun and one to Punta Cana for around $1100.00 which included airfare out of Philly. Iberostar resorts in my opinion is a great choice for all inclusives...

Hi! I did an all-inclusive for my honeymoon to Sandals Dunns River and LOVED it!! We don't drink a ton, wine with dinner usually. And then of course since your on vacation it's fun to indulge in the swim up bar and order a drink with the silly umbrella :) We had a suite that came with a bar and it was ALWAYS stocked, but for the week we were there we never touched anything in the bar except for the fresh OJ in the morning.

I like both and plan on doing Sandals Beaches down the road with our son, it looks like a blast!

To cruise or not to cruise.....

I think it all comes down to personal preferences once again... Prior to this month, I think you could really find a good deal on a cruise... but now with the new RCCL policy, things will definately tighten with regards to deals. I do not think that you get a better deal on a cruise when you compare it with an all inclusive resort. Add up that bar bill and add that to the cost of your cruise... and your air.. and the port charges and taxes.. etc... Preference is the real determining factor

Tom

I like cruises because I like to see the different ports and dress for dinner. More upscale atmosphere then the resorts.

I like all-inclusives because you are not on as much of a schedule and you can get more involved with the culture of the people of whereever you are.

I usually book based on price. I have done auctions through Skyauction and got great deals twice on all-inclusives, and been happy with the vacation. We are not big drinkers, so I will not pay extra because drinks are included (our regular bar tab for a 7 day cruise is $50-$100 - most of it being non-alcoholic).

Have done several all inclusives and had a teriffic time. I thought they were a very good value for the money. We did one to Cancun and one to Punta Cana for around $1100.00 which included airfare out of Philly. Iberostar resorts in my opinion is a great choice for all inclusives...

Seaside: More information, please! For New Year's 2005, cruising just doesn't fit our calendar, no way, no how. If I take the kids (kids, HA! At that point, they'll be 20 & almost 18) away at all, it may have to be a resort type of vacation.

Tell me more about Cancun, Punta Cana, and Iberostar. (We'd be going from Philadelphia International, too). Which are the "nicest" resorts (alcohol NOT a consideration) and which have the most things to do and see outside the resort?

Carol

We have done All Inclusives in Aruba (the Tamarjn/Divi Resort) and

Cancun (Beach Palace and Xpu Ha Palace) as well as a cruise. I agree

with the previous reply that the atmosphere for dining on the cruises

is more formal. Food on both is about the same. Some of the AllInclusives

had specialty (order off a menu) type restaurants that are included in the

price. These are always very good and a nice alternative to the "buffet"

type restaurants. In Aruba, they had 4 specialty restaurants (you stayed

at one resort but had access to the other ones facilites) and two buffet

restaurants. They also have snack bars and 24 hour ice cream

(same as the cruises). Cost wise, the All Inclusive is usually a better

deal for us as we have two children (8 and 15) and alot the of the

AllInclusives has a children free policy. Also, as alcohol is included

(no biggie for us) so are sodas. We paid over $150 on Serenade of the

Seas in March for soda cards. The water sports are also included in

the AllInclusive. In Aruba, we kayaked, snorkeled, and would have tried

wind surfing if we had had more time. All of this was included. The only

time we spent any cash was on souveniers. In Cancun, the food was a little

more monotonus. We were at Xpu Ha (an eco park in the Mayan Riviera

section of Mx below Playa de Carmen). Food was all buffet type (it got

old quick!).At night a couple of the restaurants did have table service,

but the menu didn't change. The good thing about Palace resorts is that

if you stay at one (all in the Cancun area)you have access to all six resorts.

Also, they include free tours in your package price. We took the tour to Tulum. Very nice. We did not do an All Inclusive in Bermuda (wish we had).

I know the Grotto Bay has this option.

Obviously, we loved cruising also, as we are booked on the 10/4 Majesty

of the Sea

Rhonda

Majesty of the Seas 10/4

Serenade of the Seas 3/04

I like cruises because I like to see the different ports and dress for dinner. More upscale atmosphere then the resorts.

I like all-inclusives because you are not on as much of a schedule and you can get more involved with the culture of the people of whereever you are.

I usually book based on price. I have done auctions through Skyauction and got great deals twice on all-inclusives' date=' and been happy with the vacation. We are not big drinkers, so I will not pay extra because drinks are included (our regular bar tab for a 7 day cruise is $50-$100 - most of it being non-alcoholic).[/quote']

HI! I just have a quick question in regards to Skyauction... What two all-inclusives did you win? How much did you pay? Did it include airfare? What type of room did you get? I'm very interested in doing an auction, I didn't even know this website was there!! Very cool.

Thanks!! :)

Carol--As Rhonda spoke about we also stayed at Beach Palace which is part of the Palace Resorts. You wear a wristband and can go to any of their properties to eat, drink, play etc. Cancun is alot of fun. It can be a very active place if you hop on a local bus and explore or you can just stay put at your hotel. We were there in November and the weather was awesome. Check out Apple Vacations on the web or pick up one of their books at your local TA.

We were in Punta Cana November 2002 and that also was a great vacation. We stayed at Iberostar Punta Cana. The Dominican Republic is a very good deal right now. Again we booked this thru Apple Vacations. Check them out. If you have any specific questions I will be glad to answer.

Deb

We stayed at Cancun Palace in 1999. My parents went the year before and loved it so we went on their recommendation. The resort itself was beautiful. The ocean was awesome. BUT, the food was awful!!! Everything had the same nasty spice in it. It didn't matter if we were having a stirfry, pasta, steak, seafood, whatever. You name it, they put this nasty spice on it. The milk at breakfast was lukewarm. We went in August so that may have caused a refrigeration problem? I don't know. But, by the 3rd day we both had montezuma's revenge!!! Not pretty. We ate/drank nowhere else, so it came from there. We also met others at the resort with the same malady. Also, we got soooo sick of the same nasty food that by day 4 or 5 we had to go out and eat at a real restaurant. The drinks were ok, but watered down a bit. I did enjoy the free excursions, and our accommodations were very nice. But, we just didn't like the food. And, I am not normally a picky eater. Set a plate of grub down before me & I chow.:p

I ate at both Cancun and Beach Palace. Thought the meals were great. Did the specialty restaurants for a change from the buffet and they were all good. Didcn't have any problems with intestinal stuff. Guess it can happen to everyone in a foreign country or in the states. We had a large group and I can't recall of anyone who felt sick (except maybe from too many drinks). I like the Beach Palace because it was smaller and a more warm atmosphere. Cancun Palace is much larger and the waits were longer for drinks, etc. but they both are great properties and would use either of them if we went back again.

Archived