I am embarrased to ask, but.......

bogie113

I have heard from a friend of a friend that Hong Kong is "the place" if you want to buy a knock-off watch, etc. Of course this would not be for myself :rolleyes: but, if anyone has any experience, details, advise, I would love to hear!

Thanx

Marsha

I don't know about Hong Kong but almost anywhere in Asia -know for certain in Bali and in Thailand- you can buy knock-off watches in any market or even on the beach. They are everywhere and almost any higher end watch you want.

Hi, Marsha -

I answered this over on the Regent board for you. Shanghai is 'the' place to buy knock-offs, but the markets tend to move as they are frequently shut down. In Hong Kong, we saw several in Stanley Market selling authentics replicates - their words, not mine.

Charlie

• 4 weeks later...

As Spikegirl says, if you have a stop in Shanghai, that place is definitely full of every kind of knock off you could imagine. Watches, purses, you name it. But yes, in most of Asia you will find these types of places although I don't recall stumbling on it in Hong Kong...but I wasn't looking either. Just saying that in SHanghai, you didn't even need to be looking.

Bangkok has a lot in their late night markets especially as well. Have a great time shopping and enjoy your trip.

Cathy

Hello

I just returned and found that the BEST shopping for the items that you are specifically looking for such ascoats, designer jeans, dessigner shoes/purses, boots , watches etc was the silk market in Beijing. It was a five story building and I spent hours in there...and got everything you sound like you are looking for. Remember to negotiate...I offered 10% of whatever they asked for, based on advice from people I know from China...and I could ususally get it for 15-20% of their asking price. If they say no....walk away and if it is a fair price they will call you back...!

Nathan Road market may be what your looking for. My Mum bought me 2 black Armani Tshirts which were seconds 10 years ago for $1. They are still going strong no bobbling no fading. I loved them so much I bought one from Armani and it didn't last!

We're off on Diamond Princess in March 2009!

Hello

I just returned and found that the BEST shopping for the items that you are specifically looking for such ascoats, designer jeans, dessigner shoes/purses, boots , watches etc was the silk market in Beijing. It was a five story building and I spent hours in there...and got everything you sound like you are looking for. Remember to negotiate...I offered 10% of whatever they asked for, based on advice from people I know from China...and I could ususally get it for 15-20% of their asking price. If they say no....walk away and if it is a fair price they will call you back...!

Hi Jodi

Remember, the Silk and Pearl Market (though the latter not as good) had great bargains in Beijing.

• 3 weeks later...
I have heard from a friend of a friend that Hong Kong is "the place" if you want to buy a knock-off watch, etc. Of course this would not be for myself :rolleyes: but, if anyone has any experience, details, advise, I would love to hear!

Thanx

Marsha

Bangkok cheapest, Taipai best quality.:cool:

I would suggest that you not by any counterfeit goods in Asia.

First, the quality is often very, very poor. Many in Hong Kong, for example, will offer you fake Rolex watches with "genuine Seiko movements." Can you really believe this person? Most of these fake goods will stop working after a few months.

Second, you are contributing to a significant problem that affects trademark owners both around the world and in Asia. Counterfeit goods are stealing the trademark rights of the trademark owners. Also, goods such as fake DVD's are killing the arts industry in China.

You may be able to find some counterfeit electronics, like bluetooth headsets, that are of the same quality as the actual goods because they are often produced on the same assembly line. The Chinese producers just run an extra shift and sell the goods on the side. This is still considered counterfeit product however, since it is sold without the permission of the trademark owner.

I live in Taipei and regularly travel to these cities and just wanted to give you my two cents worth.

Archived