Can't take on inflatable pool??

heathercruisin

My friend is going on Carnival this Saturday, with her 1 year old. I reminded her that the baby can't get in the swimming pools, and gave her the idea of taking a small inflatable pool. She liked the idea and called her travel agent to ask about it. The agent supposedly called Carnival to ask if it was okay, and they said No, because "there wouldn't be anywhere to drain the pool water."

I told her that someone else on this board had done it without problems, but I can't remember which cruise line they were on. Has anyone done this on Carnival? I'd like to take a pool on my cruise in November too which is on NCL.

Thanks,

Heather

Everyone that has said that they have brought one has drained it in the showers on deck. I don't remember what cruise lines they've been on but it seems like it has to all the major family friendly ones which would include Carnival, Princess, RCCL, and NCL. You might want to try a search of this forum for pool or blowup pool or inflatable pool or something like that.

OK I did a search for inflatable pool:

Here is a thread with a picture and judging by the fact that their countdown for their sailed cruise is Carnival I bet the picture was taken on a Carnival Ship:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=622880&highlight=inflatable+pool

Here is one for NCL:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=588593&highlight=inflatable+pool

The big thing is be considerate of other passengers and make sure you put the pool in an out of the way location so that you are not blocking the path of others.

We have used a SMALL pool both on deck and as a tub in the cabin on the shower floor for a 10 mo -2 1/2 yr old many times. NCL, Celebrity, RCCl and YES even Carnival. The issue has to do with rude behavior (imagine that! Someone on a cruise being rude?). Keep the pool small, out of the traffic area of others and empty in a drain on deck or at the shower area near the pool. In May a couple had a child about 18 mo in a pool set up right in a walk way around the pool. A crew member spoke with them then a bit later 3 crew members spoke with them. The pool was emptied, a lot of yelling and they(the family) left the pool area carring their pool (which was rather large). On that same cruise, we saw 3 other families with small pools set up out of the way. The one child we saw on each of 4 sea days. Only probelm we noted was with that Dad with the large pool and in the way of traffic. I would take the pool and use good judgement. Have a great cruise.

We've seen posts where people ask who is going to blow up their pool and are pumps provided on board and will a staff member find them a hose, etc., so the cruise line may be getting annoyed with the expectation that they are responsible for passengers' personal blow up pools. Those who have successfully brought pools have brought the tiniest sized ones, where a bucket or two of water is enough to have some splash fun. I brought mine on the Carnival Pride. As previous posters have stated, if she tucks it away between two lounge chairs or in a another uncrowded area, it shouldn't be a problem at all. And it doubles as a bathtub in the shower.

Best,

Mia

One pool is obviously not a problem. However, how many <2 year olds might there be on a ship with almost 3000 passengers? What if everyone brought their own inflatable pool? The area around the pool would be overrun with many little pools.

DON

Here's a picture of the baby pool we used on our cruise last week. It worked perfectly. People stopped and laughed and complimented us. Everyone thought it was really cute, and it didn't bother anyone. The bartender gave us a bucket to fill it with, and when we were done we dumped it in the drain right next to it.

Enjoy!

100_0467.jpg

100_0468.jpg

This pool, and smaller ones, are what people have used. Note that it's out of the way.

One pool is obviously not a problem. However, how many <2 year olds might there be on a ship with almost 3000 passengers? What if everyone brought their own inflatable pool? The area around the pool would be overrun with many little pools.

DON

Then cruise lines who are actively wooing "families" to their ships will need to wise up and begin providing splash pools for babies and toddlers -- or at the very least not charge them full 3rd pass. fare ...

Also, while there may be 3000 passengers there are NEVER 3000 toddlers/babies. Not even 10% ... so this is an unlikely issue anyhow.

DON

There would never be enough under 2's to fill up the extra space on Carnival ships.

This is just an example on Sensation...but there is enough space to put a small pool no doubt

IMG_1175-1.jpg

IMG_1176-1.jpg

IMG_1177-1.jpg

I applaud any family who thinks to bring these small splash pools for their toddlers. It just makes sense and appears safer to let your infant enjoy these pools than to think of them peeing and/or whatever in the large pools. I think it's a wonderful idea! Purchase a small, cheap blowup, remember to drain it in the outside shower drains and then throw it away at the end of your cruise. Hope you and your family have a great cruise!

The one in the picture directly above appears pretty large and appears to be poolside in the walkway. Is this the one removed by the crew? Is there a problem with other kids wanting to play in "your" pool?

The one in the picture directly above appears pretty large and appears to be poolside in the walkway. Is this the one removed by the crew? Is there a problem with other kids wanting to play in "your" pool?

It wasnt large at all, its only 2 feet wide and big enough for two kids max. It wasnt in the walkway it was in the open area on deck of RCCL. They were just starting a pool game so tons of people had just gathered around when I took this picture. I quickly moved the pool. No one removed it or said anything negative except how wonderful it was and infact, a group of men (traveling without kids I might add) helped me fill it and drain it. We did have another two year old come and play in it, but I welcomed the idea.

Julie

Thanks--my cousin and her husband are considering cruising with the kids (6 and 1 1/2) and are worried that the 1 1/2 yo will get too hot on sea days. My aunt and uncle have offered to "babysit" the little guy (which I think would be best IMHO) and I have encouraged them to take the 6 yo and leave the 1 1/2 yo home (he adores his grandparents and the feeling is mutual) but they think it might show favoritism to the 6 yo.

Thanks--my cousin and her husband are considering cruising with the kids (6 and 1 1/2) and are worried that the 1 1/2 yo will get too hot on sea days. My aunt and uncle have offered to "babysit" the little guy (which I think would be best IMHO) and I have encouraged them to take the 6 yo and leave the 1 1/2 yo home (he adores his grandparents and the feeling is mutual) but they think it might show favoritism to the 6 yo.
My son was 14 mos when I left him behind. I regretted it. My DH and I missed him so much the whole cruise. My parents loved the time with him and he did fine, but the look he gave us when we got when we got home was horrible. I wasn't allowed to touch him for several hours. I would never leave him behind again (well until he's older) and I would never recommend to anyone else to leave their child behind.

I have seen blow up pools on the pool deck on every cruise. I would bring one if I had a little tyke. I see plenty of families willing to "share" their pool to any other little ones. This makes much more sense than each person wanting their own and finding 10 on the pool deck.

Archived