Should a single traveler tip?

fxstsb

I'm not sure where the "built in tip" is coming from but tips are based on per person. I've always been charged for one person when I travel solo. They are charged to your onboard account. However, the crew I've always encountered have been, more often than not, exceptional and are deserving of some extra cash at the end of the cruise. :)

exactly...they work so hard for low wages...the least a person can do is tip the recommended amount of $10.00 per person....single guests are only charged for 1 person's gratuities.....

I don't know of any single people who don't sleep in both beds pushed together. The bed still needs to be made, the shower and toilet cleaned, trashed removed, ice bucket filled,etc. etc. If you only tip for one, then you should only expect service every other day. But that isn't how it works, so you should tip more.

Many of the cabin stewards consider tipping on the first day an insult. This comes from many people posting on these boards and personal conversations with cabin stewards.

I have read these posts so what you say is true. I have also read many posts here from crew members who say this is completely ridiculous. Either way what is truly an insult is not tipping at all because you were charged for your kid, you are paying a single supplement or what ever other rational one can make for being a cheap sob.

Going on a cruise with the intention of stiffing the help is theft plain and simple. I hope people who do this are treated likewise in their workplace.

I disagree that it is theft. Tips are and have always been voluntary. The recommended amounts are just that - recommendations.

I simply encourage people to look at the service they receive and let their tip accurately and sincerely reflect their gratitude for that service. Hopefully, most people who do so will end up tipping MORE than what is recommended.

I have read these posts so what you say is true. I have also read many posts here from crew members who say this is completely ridiculous. Either way what is truly an insult is not tipping at all because you were charged for your kid, you are paying a single supplement or what ever other rational one can make for being a cheap sob.

Going on a cruise with the intention of stiffing the help is theft plain and simple. I hope people who do this are treated likewise in their workplace.

exactly....karma......

I disagree that it is theft. Tips are and have always been voluntary. The recommended amounts are just that - recommendations.

Tipping is subjective. Recommended amounts act as guidelines, setting the bar for typical service. Better service warrants a better tip. Substandard service deserves less. A case can even be made for no tip at all if service is non existent. But cruise line employees work for tips and tips are expected for services rendered. Walking on a cruise ship expecting these services with no intention of paying for them is theft, pure and simple.

Many of the cabin stewards consider tipping on the first day an insult. This comes from many people posting on these boards and personal conversations with cabin stewards.

So when are you supposed to slip them a little extra:confused:

Actually, it is not a policy. It is a recommendation.

As for the third/fourth in a room, I have no problem with giving the room steward a BONUS above and beyond what he/she counts on making, but I don't feel right docking his/her pay just because I chose to sail alone. Beyond that, I imagine keeping the room nice gets substantially more difficult when there are more than 2 in a room... Like I said, it is my personal feeling. Take it with a grain of salt if you like.

Personal feeling aside. Tips are paid per person. It is explained in your welcome aboard brochure.

OP you need just pay for one person.

I don't know of any single people who don't sleep in both beds pushed together.

This is based on what type of room a solo cruiser has. When I cruise solo I select one of the category 1A rooms that has one bed on the floor and one upper bed (which is never pulled down). Although I keep my room tidy so the room stewards won't have a mess to clean up, I still leave an extra tip at the end of the cruise simply because I know how hard they work.

Tips built in:confused: Of course it is your option to not tip but you are still using ship services, having you room cleaned, dining, etc.

My sister is in a similar situiation in that they are having to pay the 3/4 rate for an infant. They are saying that aren't going to tip because of this to make up for that fare. I don't agree with their decision but it is their decision.

Your sister does not have to pay tips for a infant. No tips for kids under 2.

My personal feeling is that if the cabin steward is good, you actually should tip the full amount for two people. He/she has to work basically just as hard whether there is one person or two people in the cabin. And why should he/she lose out on expected income because you cruise solo?

In the dining room, chances are they will place you at a table that is filled by others. In that case, I see no problem tipping the wait staff as one individual. The waiter and assistant waiter will make their full amount for the table because other passengers are there [hopefully] tipping.

Whoa, just a second here now.......

A solo cruiser uses only one single bed not two so only one bed to make, strip, etc(and if it's a larger size bed it's still one bed not 2). Uses towels at a slower rate. On average will make less of a mess in the room. Etc, etc.

If you still disagree, I'll tell you what you can do..........

From now on every time you go out to breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. and sit at a table for 2 when you are a solo you are to tip 30% if you normally do 15% or 40% if you do 20% etc. Cause why should the waitress/waiter lose a tip of a second person cause you sit at a table for 2 as a solo.

That IS your logic above, isn't it?

:confused:

You're paying a 'single supplement' when you sail alone, you aren't paying for 2 people. Tips are based PER PERSON PER DAY...you only pay tips for one person.

My sister is in a similar situiation in that they are having to pay the 3/4 rate for an infant. They are saying that aren't going to tip because of this to make up for that fare. I don't agree with their decision but it is their decision.

I certainly don't think what they're doing is right either. :rolleyes:

If you still disagree, I'll tell you what you can do..........

Dude! Relax!!! I'm saying what I think and what I would do. If you disagree, FINE. Do whatever you like!

You're paying a 'single supplement' when you sail alone, you aren't paying for 2 people. Tips are based PER PERSON PER DAY...you only pay tips for one person.

And not a NICKEL of that single supplement goes to your steward. You certainly don't HAVE to tip more than the basic per-person recommendation. They may not even suggest that you tip more. I happen to think it is a nice gesture. That's all.

Dude! Relax!!! I'm saying what I think and what I would do. If you disagree, FINE. Do whatever you like!

And not a NICKEL of that single supplement goes to your steward. You certainly don't HAVE to tip more than the basic per-person recommendation. They may not even suggest that you tip more. I happen to think it is a nice gesture. That's all.

Of course it's a nice gesture. You're barking up the wrong tree for goodness sake. I am a very generous tipper...based especially on the fact that I worked as a hairdresser for 18 years. The fact is that this person isn't paying for a second passenger. The cruise rate for a single passenger just happens to cost quite a bit more. (I'm not sure how much...I cruise with my DH) and if this person wants to tip above the suggested amount for ONE PERSON that's fabulous!! But they do not have to pay tips for 2 people...period.

I just think it's wrong for you to suggest to this person that they should tip as a 'couple'. I find it wrong and bizarre. If this poster would like to tip above and beyond the suggested amount, I'm sure the crew would grately appreciate it, but what you stated is just totally odd. If you feel this way then if you sail as a couple, you should tip as if there were 4 of you in your cabin and at your table instead of just the two of you.

I thought I would just post the answer to this that Carnival sent me.

Thank you for visiting carnival.com. In regards to your query, infants under 2 are not required to tip.

If there is anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Bill I thought I new the answere to this but just wanted to verify with Carnival before posting

Thank you for visiting carnival.com. In regards to your query, infants under 2 are not required to tip.

If there is anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Rain BowBrite, your sister is correct. Don't make her feel bad.

Sorry Kurbanfan, didn't see your post. I wanted to double check with Carnival due to the heat.

SHE SAID HER SISTER ISNT GOING TO TIP FOR ANY OF THEM BECAUSE OF THE BAY BEING CHARGED!

and if this person wants to tip above the suggested amount for ONE PERSON that's fabulous!! But they do not have to pay tips for 2 people...period.

I just think it's wrong for you to suggest to this person that they should tip as a 'couple'. I find it wrong and bizarre.

a. I said that it was my personal opinion.

b. I'm not suggesting they tip as a couple. I'm suggesting they tip as a single person WHO HAPPENS TO TAKE UP THE ENTIRE CABIN, thus preventing the steward from getting tips from a second person.

c. Of COURSE they don't have to pay tips for 2 people. They don't have to pay tips for 1 person, either. It is all entirely voluntary.

My suggestion (and it is just a suggestion -- nobody has to take it seriously) is simply that it would be nice to tip ONE person, the cabin steward, extra because if you do not, he/she will lose out on income. I believe the breakdown of the tips is that the cabin steward gets a suggested $3 or $4 bucks a day per guest. If you double that, we're talking about an extra $25 for a weeklong cruise. I stand by the suggestion.

Are they not tipping at all?? or are they just not adding a tip on from their infant??

If they aren't tipping at all, then I think that's outrageous!! They are punishing their wait staff and stewards (etc) because Carnival charged them for their infant? I feel sorry for those poor workers!

a. I said that it was my personal opinion.

b. I'm not suggesting they tip as a couple. I'm suggesting they tip as a single person WHO HAPPENS TO TAKE UP THE ENTIRE CABIN, thus preventing the steward from getting tips from a second person.

c. Of COURSE they don't have to pay tips for 2 people. They don't have to pay tips for 1 person, either. It is all entirely voluntary.

My suggestion (and it is just a suggestion -- nobody has to take it seriously) is simply that it would be nice to tip ONE person, the cabin steward, extra because if you do not, he/she will lose out on income. I believe the breakdown of the tips is that the cabin steward gets a suggested $3 or $4 bucks a day per guest. If you double that, we're talking about an extra $25 for a weeklong cruise. I stand by the suggestion.

I'll never argue giving extra because I always do. I guess I dislike the way you present it...that you 'should tip double solely based on the fact that you are one person in a cabin where there 'should be' two'.

When I go to a restaurant with just my husband and sit at a table meant for 4 people, do you think I should tip for 4 meals???

When I go to a restaurant with just my husband and sit at a table meant for 4 people, do you think I should tip for 4 meals???

If your sitting there prevents a party of 4 from sitting, I think you should tip a bit more generously. Especially if you chose the table for 4 over an available table for 2 (if cruiselines had designated single cabins, the topc of this thread wouldn't be an issue). Equivalent to 4 meals? I don't know. The amount is up to you. Similarly, if you drag out the meal and occupy the table in a restaurant long enough that it prevents an additional seating, I think you should tip more. Basically, I just expect people to be aware of how their choices and actions impact others. Then, I can only hope that they will behave (and tip) accordingly.

I'm sorry you dislike the way I say it. I should work on my presentation, I guess. I am NOT saying that a solo cruiser who tips the recommended amount for one is a deadbeat or a jerk or anything of the sort. To me, that is acceptable. However, tipping more to try to make up for some of the lost income is better than acceptable. It's ideal. All of this, of course, presupposes that the steward provides excellent service and deserves full tips.

You know, call this petty but this whole topic makes me raise my eyebrows and say huh?? Here's the reasons. While true that a single cruiser pays more to cruise alone, cruise lines are a business and single travelers are taking up rooms, sometimes that are double occupancy for 1 person so in essence they are trying not to lose money. Secondly, why would you not tip?? While it may or may not be in the fine writing that tips are built in, that steward or waiter is still only getting a small fraction of it and they work hard to take care of you. The fact that you're traveling alone doesn't diminish the service you get. I bet if you were that steward, you would still hope that the people you are caring for are classy enough to tip you for doing a good job. Also, if you book a hotel room in most hotels, the price is based on double occupancy. They don't lower the price because you stay at the hotel alone so why should they have to lower it if you cruise alone? On top of that, the 10/pp you pay in tips for a week is only $70 for the entire week IF you don't tip over that. Most people pay more than that a month in fast food. This list could go on forever but my bottom line is, if you are cruising alone (and yes, I've cruised alone on another cruise line although I'm all Carnival now) then you need to budget in the extra cash for the service you're getting and stop complaining about it.

If your sitting there prevents a party of 4 from sitting, I think you should tip a bit more generously. Especially if you chose the table for 4 over an available table for 2 (if cruiselines had designated single cabins, the topc of this thread wouldn't be an issue). Equivalent to 4 meals? I don't know. The amount is up to you. Similarly, if you drag out the meal and occupy the table in a restaurant long enough that it prevents an additional seating, I think you should tip more. Basically, I just expect people to be aware of how their choices and actions impact others. Then, I can only hope that they will behave (and tip) accordingly.

I'm sorry you dislike the way I say it. I should work on my presentation, I guess. I am NOT saying that a solo cruiser who tips the recommended amount for one is a deadbeat or a jerk or anything of the sort. To me, that is acceptable. However, tipping more to try to make up for some of the lost income is better than acceptable. It's ideal. All of this, of course, presupposes that the steward provides excellent service and deserves full tips.

How much or how little a waiter/serviceperson makes or doesn't make is not our concern. In fact, it is none of our business. The only thing we are responsible to do is to tip well when the service is deserving, normal for normal service and let them know when something isn't to our liking rather than stiffing them. If they don't try to make it right, then some tip might be held back. They are working for us, we have to pay them according to performance. If I'm alone at a table for 4, I'm not tipping for 3 ghosts that didn't chip in for the check anyway.:D Its the luck of the draw for the server. If 5 jam into that same table, should they all tip a little less because he should have only had 4? No, he serves 5, he should be tipped for 5, serve 1, tips for 1.

Dan

in the scheme of things....and all a pax spends, if the auto tips bother, take away, if the single supp bothers, easy answer..an allll inclusive resort is the answer..try to meet other singles or amicable couples to spend time with as friendly as cruisers..I too am a solo pax..and EVEN tip extra, cuz I feel they earn it, 18hrs everyday..7 days a week..for 6 to 8 months running.

Archived