Transport to Uxmal

sajohnston

Just got back tonight... went to Uxmal on Wednesday. It was fantastic! We booked through Carnival - $69. They picked us up in a nice bus, Tony the tour guide gave us TONS of interesting stories on the way there (1 1/2 hr. approx) Ruins were amazing. They gave us a decent sack lunch, through Muna which was Tony's home town - we learned so much. I'll post review tomorrow, but the travel to/from looked somewhat complex (I was on 2nd seat) and I would not have dared to travel that far from the ship with so many turns and twists and exits... no worries whatsoever

I'd stay with cruise excursion....we did this on 10/1 w/Carnival @$69pp. At 1.5hrs from port, too far for me to risk non-ship exc, though with the last minute port change we had little time to prep. We usually go on our own but chose to stay w/ Carnival on this one.

Although...there are several vendors set up at the port for private tours. I did notice AutoProgreso had a table set up offering rates to all the various sites. I don't recall the exact rate for Uxmal, but I did comment to the wife that it was more then we(2) paid Carnival. We had a nice experience, only 8 folks total in our group off the Holiday.

Can anyone tell me the best way to get from the pier to Uxmal? I do not want to book the ship's excursion since it is somewhat overpriced. Can you hire a taxi for the day? Any information is appreciated.

Definitely stick with the ship's excursion.

It was a pretty decent ride, which if you had any sort of mechanical problems with your chosen ride, you would definitely miss your ship.

Our excursion left within 30 minutes of the gangplank going down.

With the drive there and back, a 1 1/2 hour guided tour and 30 minutes afterwards to explore on our own, we got back to the pier with less than 30 minutes to spare. (and those who went to Chitzen Itza said their ride was 20-30 minutes longer each way)

We also paid $69 per person and felt it was well worth it for the distance driven and the admission price to get into Uxmal park being paid.

(although make sure you get some Peso's before you leave the ship, as there are plenty of shops at Uxmal with drinks, snacks, ice cream and gifts, but NONE of them accept US dollars.)

Uxmal was a great choice, after seeing the multitude of busses heading for Chitzen Itza versus our group of 12 going to Uxmal.

(once there between our group and a few others, there may have been 50 of us exploring the entire huge site)

Bill

don't think you'll need Peso's ...we made purchases with USD's, no problem. Just take 1's,5's,10's along with your 20's so you get little change, it will likely be in Peso's. But had no problem with the shops inside Uxmal accepting USD's. Don't know bout the vendors set up outside the entrance, didn't realize they were there until we were pulling out.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to hear from someone who did this without using the cruise line. Our ship will be there from 8am to 8pm so not worried about missing the ship. The ships excursion to Uxmal starts 12 noon. I would prefer to start early am. The ship price is $72 pp. If someone is going soon could you please check to see if they offer Uxmal at the pier or Progreso:confused:

Thanks

I would like to hear from someone who did this without using the cruise line. Our ship will be there from 8am to 8pm so not worried about missing the ship. The ships excursion to Uxmal starts 12 noon. I would prefer to start early am. The ship price is $72 pp. If someone is going soon could you please check to see if they offer Uxmal at the pier or Progreso:confused:

Thanks

Hi Echo Queen

I am on the same cruise and I was wondering the same thing since we now have 12 hours in port.:cool:

Sandy

We got off the ship without any plans. Once on land we had several offers with local tour companies and were able to negotiate $46.00 per person to Uxmal. The guide was very good and spoke excellent english. Our bus had about 12 people on it and all were from the ship. We followed the bus that was the tour set up by the cruise line most of the way.

We stopped for a 15 min break along the way and that place turned out to have all the shopping bargains. Everything was half the price of anywhere we shopped of the shore excursions. Then we continued on to the ruins.

Our guide knew everyone at Uxmal and we were able to see some things that were roped off and closed. We left there ahead of the ship tour bus and made another stop for three of the people to buy Cuban cigars at a guys home that wholesales them for that state in Mexico. Everyone left there with two handfuls of cigars whether they smoked or not (he insisted).

I forgot to mention that they provided free beer and bottled water the entire trip and Tequila shots just before they dropped us off.

I will give my friends a call and get names as I just don’t remember specific details. Once back on the ship we swapped stories at dinner with another couple that was on the ships tour and I think we had more fun.

Found out that I am not a cigar smoker and became ill for a couple of hours. My wife on the other hand smoked every one we were given before we returned back home (she is the anti-smoker that always makes the nasty comments to smokers at public places).

We used the tour company www.mayanroutes.com for our journey to Uxmal the middle of Oct.... The driver was a good guide at the ruins, very good information... He wasn't that entertaining going and coming but we had a group of kids along that entertained most of the time...:)

We never felt that we were gonna miss the boat back and the driver had communications with the "home office" if we encountered any problems... A nice air conditioned van awaited us on the pier by the ships docking area....

This is a pricey tour for a small group 2 to 4 people but if you have a larger group the price pp drops within reason.... We were at the ruins before any other of the tour groups arrived, but having said that, the place is so massive that we never had to wait on another tour group to leave an area for us to enter....:)

All in all a impressive site....:cool:

Joey

We got off the ship without any plans. Once on land we had several offers with local tour companies and were able to negotiate $46.00 per person to Uxmal. The guide was very good and spoke excellent english. Our bus had about 12 people on it and all were from the ship. We followed the bus that was the tour set up by the cruise line most of the way.

We stopped for a 15 min break along the way and that place turned out to have all the shopping bargains. Everything was half the price of anywhere we shopped of the shore excursions. Then we continued on to the ruins.

Our guide knew everyone at Uxmal and we were able to see some things that were roped off and closed. We left there ahead of the ship tour bus and made another stop for three of the people to buy Cuban cigars at a guys home that wholesales them for that state in Mexico. Everyone left there with two handfuls of cigars whether they smoked or not (he insisted).

I forgot to mention that they provided free beer and bottled water the entire trip and Tequila shots just before they dropped us off.

I will give my friends a call and get names as I just don’t remember specific details. Once back on the ship we swapped stories at dinner with another couple that was on the ships tour and I think we had more fun.

Found out that I am not a cigar smoker and became ill for a couple of hours. My wife on the other hand smoked every one we were given before we returned back home (she is the anti-smoker that always makes the nasty comments to smokers at public places).

Thanks Mark, I would love to know the name of the tour group you used.

I tried to get hold of my friends wife. She was the note taker of the group. She is out of the country until 10-10. I will call her and post the information ASAP upon her return.

No one else I called remembers.

I do know it's the guide and his brother who is the bus driver. The bus was a little older but it was clean and the A/C blew cold, the FREE beer was iced down and the price was right.

• 2 months later...

Thanks

Hi Echo Queen,

Your post is almost exactly what I just posted elsewhere. I cannot imagine why the ship tour is waiting until noon to start. We want to go early as well and have time to go to corona beach for a massage after. don't really feel comfortable going before if we take the ship tour bec. i'd be afraid of missing the bus. We cruise two weeks after you on the voyager , so if you find out anything please let me know. i've been looking online and have only found a couple of things that were pretty overpriced unless you get others to join you.

thanks!

Hi Echo Queen,

Your post is almost exactly what I just posted elsewhere. I cannot imagine why the ship tour is waiting until noon to start. We want to go early as well and have time to go to corona beach for a massage after. don't really feel comfortable going before if we take the ship tour bec. i'd be afraid of missing the bus. We cruise two weeks after you on the voyager , so if you find out anything please let me know. i've been looking online and have only found a couple of things that were pretty overpriced unless you get others to join you.

thanks!

I plan to look for Victor Bodden's tour group rep. when we get off the ship early am. Maybe I can find others at the M&M to go with us. We for sure (sure as the ship docks) are going to Uxmal, I will post an update when I return.:D

Hi Echo Queen,

thanks!

I just noticed that we will be on the same cruise. Are you signed up for the M&M? We have looked into doing Yucatan Travel that day, becaue since we are there for 12 hours, we wanted to do Uxmal and then tour Merida/Progreso. We got a quote for a van that holds up to 7 for $78/pp. There are only 5 of us. If there are 7 total, the cost goes down to $60/pp. We would have our own guide and can go at our own pace, and see some sites after the tour. They said they would pick us up at the pier right when the ship docks. Don't know how many in your party, but it would be great to have a couple more people to share the cost.

I just noticed that we will be on the same cruise. Are you signed up for the M&M? We have looked into doing Yucatan Travel that day, becaue since we are there for 12 hours, we wanted to do Uxmal and then tour Merida/Progreso. We got a quote for a van that holds up to 7 for $78/pp. There are only 5 of us. If there are 7 total, the cost goes down to $60/pp. We would have our own guide and can go at our own pace, and see some sites after the tour. They said they would pick us up at the pier right when the ship docks. Don't know how many in your party, but it would be great to have a couple more people to share the cost.

Hi

We might want to join you guys. It is just my hubby and I. Is everyone in your party of 5 traveling together? We really had wanted to come back an d get a massage on the beach, but we also talked about seeing Merida. I think it would be neat to have a local guide. Can you let me know a few more details and I'll talk to hubby. If we decide to go with you guys, would you contact the person you scheduled with and tell them you have two more or would we? not sure how all that would work as we have never joined up with anyone else, but have always made the arrangements or done the ship's tour. Did you have to make a deposit or did they just say to pay that day?

thanks for the offer. just let me know about the above info. and we'll get back to you ASAP.

Claire

Forgot to answer your question about M&M. That stands for meet and mingle, right? if so, yes we are signed up. hopefully, i'll have more time to get on the roll call boards and get to know some fellow cruisers a little more.

claire

Mark3232 did your friend's wife have the name of the tour operator or where you signed up? Thanks, I leave on the 27th (this Sunday)

• 2 weeks later...

There's several companies and taxis offering tours out to Uxmal for smaller groups. I've done the large tour bus thing and the small van both to Uxmal and to Chechen Itza. Rather then be stuck in a group of 25+ I'd opt for the smaller more personal tour. If you're going to be in port for longer then 10 hrs. I'd go with a local small tour operator or taxi. It's going to be cheaper and you'll likely get a better tour, more at your pace with more info. Plus if you're in a small group you can stop and shop at several spots. The farther you get away the pier the cheaper the prices are going to be.

If you do end up on a small or private tour ask about a side stop at Ticul. Pottery there goes for about 20-30% of what it costs on the "malecon." Basically if it's $100 on the pier it's $30 or less in Ticul.

There's several ways to book a private tour. Walk off the bus at the end of the pier and stop into any restaurant/bar and ask around. Tours for groups of 3-9 people can easily be arranged. Last I heard the going rate was about $45 for a min. of 3 people. If you can find your way to la Marina bar (it's easy to spot, has a large boat bow out front) and ask for Miguel. He's a good source and knows all the taxis that offer tours. You're going to want to do this first thing as the best tour guides get taken pretty fast.

If you want to set things up in advance there's also a couple of hotels that offer tours. Elke at the Hotel Yahunah offers to set up tours try www.hotelyakunah.com.mx. I can't be sure she offers this service if you're not staying at the Yakunah, but it's worth a try.

And Jorge at the Los Cabos hotel and Suites- informes@suitesloscabos.com can set you up as well. His direct e-mail is dacware@hotmail.com

Best of luck, have a great cruise.

Where did you get your quote in advance? We have 7+ people and a rental car reservation that doesn't sound top reliable....I'm hoping we don't wind up having a sucky day!

Thanks!

Shari

Just back from Progreso,

Booked the Uxmal tour from the pier, $55 per person for two of us. No one else signed up so we had a private tour with Manuel. He was wonderful, taught us some Mayan on the van ride to Uxmal. The van was a brand new Mercedes 12 passenger. Very spacious for the two of us. The ruins were not crowded, climbed most of the temples. With just the two of us we set the pace of the tour. Would highly recommend the Autoprogresso agency, they hand out flyers on the shuttle bus from the pier (4 miles long) to the city (handicraft shopping area).

Archived