"This suprised me". Century standard cabin tips.

bigwally

1) There is only one accessible 120v outlet in the cabin, plus a 240v outlet (both at the desk). There is (at least) one additonal 240v outlet you can get to (under the bed at the headboard end) for the bedside lamps.

If you have a lot of 120v stuff that needs power, take a multi outlet block or power strip with you. Alternatively, check your electronics to see which will work on 240v and then plug them in using a European plug adapter, saving the 120v outlet for stuff that won't.

2) There is no way to get at the A/V inputs on the flat panel TVs in the room. Abandon all hope of being able to hook up your DVD player or other media device. Even if you could figure out a way, there is no way to change to the A/V inputs either on the TV or the remote.

3) You will not need bulldog clips for the shower curtain bottom. The rail is curved to keep the shower curtain away from you. When the curtain is closed though it makes your bathroom feel smaller, so pull it back out of the way when you're not in the shower.

4) Don't bother with the wireless Internet in the staterooms. It is horribly slow, when it works at all. A total exercise in frustration. Use the computers in the lab on deck 7 instead. These are also slow, but at least they work predictably.

5) There is an umbrella and a small canvas tote/shopping bag available for your use in each stateroom. Don't bother taking either of these items if you'll only need them on the cruise. There are also two bathrobes in each.

That's it for now. Will add more if I can think of more.

1) There is only one accessible 120v outlet in the cabin...

Huh???? What do I do with my travel iron, electric coffee pot and soldering gun????:confused:

5) There is an umbrella and a small canvas tote/shopping bag available for your use in each stateroom. Don't bother taking either of these items if you'll only need them on the cruise. There are also two bathrobes in each.

The umbrella and tote will be MIA if we are in the cabin on the cruise before you. Same thing for the bathrobes if we don't buy may souveniers. :rolleyes:

Les

PS Depending on our mood, you might not have a TV either. ;)

Oh, Shirley and/or Les.....you card(s) you!

You can never have enough outlets. I used both the desk 120v and 240v ones when I needed to charge my cell phone at the same time as I was needing to charge digital camera batteries. Not to mention charging the laptop battery. And then there was the wife's curler set which isn't dual voltage.

I'm sure you knew this, but use of pressing irons (and I assume soldering irons too) is forbidden in staterooms. You'll need to send out anything that would need pressing. Though I tried the plastic laundry bag packing technique on this cruise and it worked beautifully for keeping things from getting too wrinkled in the first place.

The robes, and I assume the umbrella and tote, will be replaced by the cabin steward at the end of the cruise if missing (and no doubt will show up on your shipboard account). As a matter of fact, the clean ones were already in the cabin on the last night of the cruise, which could actually give you the opportunity to make off with 4!

The bedside lamp seemed fine for reading. I don't think a book lamp would be necessary. However, I always carry one of those head lamps, which is more for emergencies and finding my way to the bathroom in the dark, but can also be useful when you want to read at night without disturbing your partner as much as having a bedside lamp on would.

Oh, Shirley and/or Les.....you card(s) you!

I'm sure you knew this, but use of pressing irons (and I assume soldering irons too) is forbidden in staterooms. You'll need to send out anything that would need pressing. Though I tried the plastic laundry bag packing technique on this cruise and it worked beautifully for keeping things from getting too wrinkled in the first place.

Thanks for the information. I guess I didn't realize this. On our next cruise, I will only bring the five iron. It doesn't need any electricity. I don't like to use it since it provokes a lot of swearing on my part.

The robes, and I assume the umbrella and tote, will be replaced by the cabin steward at the end of the cruise if missing (and no doubt will show up on your shipboard account). As a matter of fact, the clean ones were already in the cabin on the last night of the cruise, which could actually give you the opportunity to make off with 4!

Now you tell me! I have been getting $5 on Ebay for each one!

The bedside lamp seemed fine for reading. I don't think a book lamp would be necessary. However, I always carry one of those head lamps, which is more for emergencies and finding my way to the bathroom in the dark, but can also be useful when you want to read at night without disturbing your partner as much as having a bedside lamp on would.

Boy, am I fed up with technology. I just put the kerosene lantern on the bedstand (of course, I trim the wick and refill it first) and it works fine for reading. It seems to cause a bit of a problem with the ship help since they rush in with fire extinguishers and hoses if I happen to spill a bit of kerosene and there is a small flareup in the cabin. If they hadn't put that flammable chocolate on the pillow, there wouldn't have been a problem. :rolleyes: (NO MORE FLAMES, PLEASE.)

Les

Archived