Miami and time to kill???

Zeno

Our cruiseship (returning) docks at 7AM. Even if we take our time getting off, we will have a LOT of time to kill before our flight home at 8PM - so I REALLY need some suggestions about what to do with ourselves. Are there any tours etc we can book at the Port of Miami? Do any hotels rent day rooms (or have an early check-in - say 11AM - we would be quite happy to just relax in a hotel room until 5PM). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1) I would suspect that the ship you are on (NCL Sky??) would offer a day-excursion (possible tours of Miami) that you could sign-up for, your luggage would be kept on the tour bus and you would be dropped off at the airport. Dollar value $$$$

2) You could rent a car for a day, store the luggage in the trunk, and go to South Beach and enjoy the sights... :eek: , dollar value: $$$

or

3) Contact hotels directly for room opportunities...and ask where/when you can pick-up their shuttle...

A couple of years ago, Pebbles and I were slated to go on the S/S Norway, and it blew its boilers 3-weeks before we could go. We had signed up with a Days Inn just off the Miami Airport that had shuttles going to and from the airport...and to and from the port (both shuttles were free to hotel guests). Soooo, I would reserve a room (hotels allow early checkins all the time...), and then, around 4:30/5:00, ask for the next shuttle to the airport...and then leave... Dollar value: $$ (big savings on taxi fees...)

just a thought....

Thx for the great ideas bambam ! Number 3 - looks like a good plan. I am glad to hear that early check-ins are possible - the late check-ins of the hotels were a bit discouraging. NCL Sun is the ship btw.

P.S. Was that the Days Inn Miami Airport North you stayed at ? We are going on the cruise in Dec. Is it better to book now or closer to departure ?

I have a similar situation getting off the Majesty of the Seas 9/20. I have a day to kill and would like to stop in and visit some relatives in the area before returning to PA. Right now we plan to cab it to South Beach, rent a car, check out the sights, visit family, then head to FLL for the flight home.

I really like the Miami airport for their delicious Cuban food. Try out the restuarant there - you will not be dissapointed. Also, my DH and I were there a few months ago, the airport was under construction. It took us forever to get to our gate. Luckily, we had lots of time. That morning, we had booked a shore excursion through our ship and took an Everglades Tour. So much fun! We took an airboat ride in the Everglades. The gators were pretty neat! Hope you can find some fun things to do to fill the time. I would, no matter what you end up doing, give yourself lots of time (at least 2 - 2.5 hours) at the airport. Have fun!:)

Archived