Transportation to Seattle from Oregon

margaret a

Hi All,

We are visiting friends in Seaside Or and Monroe Wa before our cruise which departs out of Seattle. Rental car companies want a fortune to pick up at Portland airport and return to Seattle airport.

Does anyone know:

1) is there any public transportation from Astoria Oregon to Seattle (bus, train, ferry)?

2) how much a taxi would cost from Seattle airport to the port?

Thanks!

Actually, if you go Amtrak, you'll be on a bus from Astoria to Portland, then a train from Portland to Seattle. And it'd be a long trip -- 8+ hours. But the train service from Portland to Seattle is quite good, and usually runs on time. I take the train to/from Portland frequently, and have not run into problems with the trains not being on time.

Have you thought about flying up from Portland? Horizon has many daily flights to Seattle, for about $79 (sometimes less if they're running a special).

I'm assuming you'll rent a car once you get to Seattle? Monroe would be a pretty expensive cab ride from downtown Seattle! :D

Cheers!

Thanks Budgetqueen and Jenbo567....I will do some research..... We probably will end up renting the car even thought they want $350 plus!

I did check Horizon air and they do have specials for about 51 pp. But, then my friend would have to pick us up at the Portland aiport and bring us back to Portland (from Seaside) and that is probably too much to ask (2 round trips).

Thrifty has a rental counter right at the pier....they want $400 plus to pick up at Portland and return to the pier.........oh well...what's another $400 !!!!!

Thrifty is at the pier, but this is not as convenient as it sounds. The pier area is pretty long and depending on which line you are on, its about 15-20 minutes away. We dropped our luggage and passengers except me at the ship first, which was a really good idea. They run shuttles, but they only seemed to be running one at any one time and it had limited room. We booked cars from them both directions and coming back was even worse because everyone was there at the same time and still only 1 shuttle (and it was raining). The others are not right near either and i read about other posters taking cabs to their offices, which sounds equally problematic, so not saying Thrifty is not a good option, just not as simple as it sounds.

Archived