Tips on packing Alcohol?

linsue1231

HI all,

Any tips on packing your purchased alcohol from duty free for the flight home.

Have always sail from my home port and carried it off. Now the new rule of flying does not allow this. I have read some posts and most say their purchases broke inside their luggage. :( .

Linda

There are few foolproof methods, short of specialized packing cases. But you can likely get over 90+% success rate. First off, find the sturdiest piece of your luggage. Take the bottle and wrap in bubble-wrap. Then, within some soft fabric - say a t-shirt or the like. Place in a sealed, zip-lock plastic bag (the insurance against a spill). Maybe even a double bag if you are paranoid. Then place the bag(s) in a soft, padded area (again, soft contents that can cradle the bottle) towards the middle of your suitcase - thinking all dimensions. Not on the bottom, not on the top, not to any side. Place energy-absorbent packing (soft fabrics) around it. Hope the "American Tourister Gorilla" (think back to old TV advertising) doesn't get hold of your bag. That's about all you can do.

If you are shipping a whole case (say of wine from France, Australia or South America) there are different considerations.

The better the cushioning, the better chance of success.

When I pack liquor for the flight home, I wrap it securely and place it in the centermost portion of my luggage where it is the most protected. One thing I have run into a couple of times now is that TSA inspectors tend to open and inspect bags containing bottles of liquor, and this has sometimes resulted in that bag not making it on the flight with us. It has always shown up the next day with a card stating that the bag was searched.

Archived