Immigration @ Belize

dreadlockjack

Hi!

Unfortunately, Swiss Citizens (we are Europeans, but not in the European Union... that's why...) are required to have a VISA to enter BELIZE. I have found out now, that such a VISA costs about US-$ 100 p.P., for us 300 $:eek: , as we are three (2 adults and one child). That's a lot of money for just one day at BELIZE! We are travelling on a NCL-ship. Maybe, someone can help me by answering my questions:

• How are the border controls at BELIZE? Is anybody taking care and checking, if the required persons have a visa? So, if I don't have a visa, could that be of any interest to someone?
  • If we don't have a VISA, but trying to enter BELIZE, what could be the worst thing to happen... back on board??? Or worse???
  • Is there a possibility to get a "instant"-VISA for BELIZE, directly when entering?
  • Would it be a problem to be on the ship, without leaving the ship, and not having a VISA for BELIZE?

We would love the visit BELIZE, but 300 US-$ only for entering for one day is horrible, as there will be more expenses for excursions etc.

Hope to get some helpful answers:).

Thank you, and greetings from Switzerland!

Here is a web address:

http://www.travelbelize.org/immigration.html

You know all this already, evidently, but here is what the Belize Tourism Board says (I am responsible for the red letters):

Who needs a visa to enter Belize?

Entry visas should be obtained outside of Belize. For the nearest place to obtain a visa please visit: Belize Consuls and Embassies.

In cases where a visa has not been secured, one will be issued upon arrival at entry points. This will be facilitated only where prior approval has been granted by Immigration.

Nationals of the following countries must secure a visa to enter Belize.

Afghanistan

Albania

Algeria

Angola

Argentina

Bosnia

Brazil

Central African Republic

Chad

China

El Salvador

Ethiopia

Haiti

Honduras

Japan

Korea (North and South)

Libya

Monaco

Mongolia

Morocco

Nicaragua

Panama

Poland

Russia

Switzerland

Taiwan

Thailand

Ukraine

Yugoslavia

Zaire

--If you stay on the ship you cannot be interfered with, but it is difficult to believe that Belize would actually charge you $100 pp for a one-day visa for tourism. What is your original source of information? Was the original source aware of what your actual travel plans included?

If I had read my own online reference carefully, look what I would have found (again, I have introduced the red for your ease and enjoyment):

Entry Requirements

VISA INFORMATION | DEPARTURE FEES With the exception of cruise ship passengers, all visitors to Belize must present a valid passport before entering the country. Please note that driver's licenses and birth certificates are not approved travel documents and cannot be used to enter the country. Passports must be valid up until time of departure.

Which I hope will prove to be welcome news to you, dreadlockjack!--and this, again, is from the Horse's Mouth! ;)

Can anybody tell me of his/her experience: Did the border control in BELIZE ever check your passports?
If you are on a ship, the rules are different from normal (as driftwood's second post indicates). Passengers who are on a ship and just visiting for the day often don't need visas, even if they would normally need a visa to fly to the country and stay there. So it sounds to me like the source that driftwood quotes should be all that you need to know.

Usually, a cruise ship passenger will not see the immigration officials of the places that the ship calls at during the cruise. Normally, the only place that does that is the port of final disembarkation. (One big exception, as in so many other things, is the US.)

. . . but I've been trying desperately to remember any occasion where we have been asked for a passport anywhere other than leaving or reentering the US when we were on a cruise. The cruiseline prepares a card for each passenger, and we have needed that to get into the port area and back onto the ship, but I believe that is the only identification we have ever been asked for.

Very few real people are interested in passports. They are, after all, just another fetish in the global community, smoke and mirrors, an ikon of the power of Homeland Security over our alleged freedoms. :rolleyes:

. . . but I've been trying desperately to remember any occasion where we have been asked for a passport anywhere other than leaving or reentering the US when we were on a cruise. The cruiseline prepares a card for each passenger, and we have needed that to get into the port area and back onto the ship, but I believe that is the only identification we have ever been asked for.

Very few real people are interested in passports. They are, after all, just another fetish in the global community, smoke and mirrors, an ikon of the power of Homeland Security over our alleged freedoms. :rolleyes:

Dirftwood is correct regarding passports and his closing statement is so accurate !

Very few real people are interested in passports. They are, after all, just another fetish in the global community, smoke and mirrors, an ikon of the power of Homeland Security over our alleged freedoms.
Er, passports have been a common, easily-obtained and essential ingredient of travel almost since before living memory. And certainly since decades before Homeland Security was even a buzzphrase, let alone a government department.

Possibly the only Western country for which passports are a novelty is the US. And that's really ironic, considering the frequency with which the words "photo ID" are barked at one there.

"Before living memory" is an interesting idea. I guess shibboleth is shibboleth. In the Nineteenth Century our American hero John L. Stephens seemed to spend most of his time in Central America chasing down "passports" from crack-brained dictators and generals so that he could elbow his way through vast tracts of jungle inhabited mostly by mosquitoes to present them to equally crack-brained or illiterate officials at the other side of the jungle or volcano.

It has always been important in living memory to the Kontrollers that you keep your number about you and bow the knee to any man with the gun. Great idea for them, no doubt,--job sekurity, at least--and if it makes you feel better--hey, I've paid MY money and carry MINE with me! :D :eek: :D :cool:

Archived