Shopping Deals/Placethe NE/Canda Cruise not to be missed?

vesw01

I have read post after post about great deals down in Mexico. Are there any great deals in Canada, Boston or Portland that shouldn't be missed?

I would love some feedback. I know about the shore excursions, but want to make sure I am not missing something.

We didn't do any shopping so I can't comment on that. I would recommend just renting a car and driving around (we went to Peggy's Cove). It's a lot cheaper than the excursions (you can get a full size for about $50). You can rent one at the dock or they'll come pick you up and take to the car (and drop you back off at the pier). Hope that helps.

Hi vesw01

Just some ideas from a person who happens to live in Maine...here are several ideas for you...visit LL Bean and Freeport..a small New England community with some really interesting shops and eateries! Or..walk through the Old Port in Portland..brick streets and tons of interesting shopping. If you want educational..try DeLorme..yep, the map people. They have the largest globe on earth that turns just as the earth does...and interesting site for sure. If I knew what you were being offered for excursions in Portland, I'd be willing to give you my opinion. Either way, you'll have a great stop in the State of Maine! Best wishes for a great cruise!

I am not really interested in doing "formal" excursions. I am traveling with a 2 yr old, a 11 yr old and my grandmother, so I would hate to pay for anything to find out that it just wasn't working out for the day and lose the money.

Is the LL Bean Outlet in Portland similiar to the one in Freeport or is Freeport any better? I don't want to spend all day driving around and shopping for stuff like that. I would like to do nice enjoyable, flexible things.

We will be in Portland, Sydney NS and Halifax each one day. I am not sure that Peggy's Cove has enough for the kids to do and I hear it is an hour to drive to. I would like to go see the changing of the guards-but wasn't sure which location that happens in.

Is there enough to do in the port area to keep everyone busy or should I rent a car to set out for the day?

There is enough to do in Halifax right in town. The board walk is a short walk from the peir and from there you have numerous eateries and shops. The Citadel is where the changing of the guard takes place, I believe around noon each day. Right in town also is the Museum where you can view information on the Titanic and Halifax explosion. Really there is a lot to do right in town as far as Halifax goes.

Archived