Carnival dropping Calica permanently?

Snorkel2Much

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Carnival switched future Inspiration stops at Calica over to Cozumel after the March 1, 2008 sailing (our upcoming cruise).

I was just looking to book another cruise to Calica on Carnival.com and found the Fascination's last Calica visit is April 7th, 2008, and Imagination's last visit is the Dec 27, 2007 sailing.

Does anyone know if this is intended to be a permanent change, or any other info? Guess I'll have to road-trip to Mobile and catch the Holiday if I want a quick Calica fix. (That'll go over well with Mrs. S2M :eek: )

Cruisecal still shows the older schedules. (Yes, I know how to use the search feature, and tried to no avail)

I wonder if this is another indication that the end is near for the Holiday??? Why would it be the only ship in the fleet to stop there???? I keep hearing all the rumors and wonder if that announcement will be soon....

Sad news, I really enjoyed that port. We took a taxi into Cancun and had a blast on the Imagination several years ago.

I have never been there. I would have liked to see that port. I can't count how mwny times I have stopped on Cozumel

Remember that most of the Calica stops were replacements for Cozumel, after Cozumel's capacity was reduced by damage from Hurricane Wilma. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carnival shifting itineraries back to Coz as the piers come back online. While Calica may be popular here at Cruise Critic, I think overall Coz is a much easier sell for the cruise lines.

Remember that most of the Calica stops were replacements for Cozumel, after Cozumel's capacity was reduced by damage from Hurricane Wilma. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carnival shifting itineraries back to Coz as the piers come back online. While Calica may be popular here at Cruise Critic, I think overall Coz is a much easier sell for the cruise lines.

Haven't been to Calica...from what I understand there just isn't very much there.....but again...I have never been there.

I wonder if this is another indication that the end is near for the Holiday??? Why would it be the only ship in the fleet to stop there???? I keep hearing all the rumors and wonder if that announcement will be soon....

I'm right there with you, "SwanSonia". I'm desperate for Carnival to make an announcement about their plans in Mobile, because that port doesn't require airfare for us.

another stop will be subbed. I love it,thats why I sail Monday dep's. .I'm booked til Nov 08 on Holiday. but dont care what happens, tho i love the little girl. It is great shopping, lovely beaches too..and right in town. nice restaurants..tours also. No prob for me..Hi Swansonia!..see you soon..lucky

I'm right there with you, "SwanSonia". I'm desperate for Carnival to make an announcement about their plans in Mobile, because that port doesn't require airfare for us.

None of the cruise lines seem to do a very good job at at the very least letting people know whats going on......Carnival is one of the worst at this although there are many people also waiting to hear from RCCL with regard to Mariner and Sovereign leaving Port Canaveral.

Lots of stuff really up in the air right now....wish someone would make an announcement.

Glad to hear that its not just Carnival that lets the rumors circulate endlessly....

What part of Miss are you from Martha? We love the Mobile port...And we've enjoyed our cruises on the Holiday...Calica is an OK stop....Like "Lucky" stated, nothing at the dock, but just a cabride away from PDC....We're going to Progreso on our next cruise, so we'll see how that is....

Haven't been to Calica...from what I understand there just isn't very much there.....but again...I have never been there.

There's nothing at the port, as the port itself is just a working rock quarry and gravel pit. However, it's just a couple of miles from Playa del carmen which is like a less-spoiled and less-crowded version of Cozumel. It's also much easier to get to Tulum and Xcaret from Calica than from Cozumel.

I like Calica, but overall I don't blame Carnival for shifting their itineraries back to Coz which is vastly more popular than Calica. They have to go where the money is.

We were in Calica on the Fascination in March. While it is just a gravel pit (truly) the views prior to getting there are fabulous. We sat on our balcony for well over an hour prior to getting into port and the captain sailed right near the shore and it was gorgeous seeing Cancun and then south. We didn't do a tour in Calica and should have. The beach area was pretty rough and our food was nasty but you could find that anywhere. It's 2 minutes to Xcaret which lots of people did as well as Tulum. Heard lots of cruisers talking about how great the Tulum tours were. Yes, Cozumel probably appeals to a larger number of people but not having to travel by ferry or hours by bus for these two tours is a big plus. The port area seemed very temporary, nothing permanent at all.

You're not missing much in Calica. It's just Cozumel on a smaller scale. Wasn't impressed, and the "port" is a rock quarry. You can still get to the same places near Calica from Cozumel. You just have to take the ferry across the bay.

You're not missing much in Calica. It's just Cozumel on a smaller scale.

Not exactly. It's more liek what COzumel used to be liek before it was spoiled. In PdC you feel like you're in Mexico.

In Coz you could be anywhere that American spring-breakers hang out. Might as well just go to Panama City, FL. :)

I wouldnt be suprised if Calica is dropped. Ive been twice and both times other shipmates seemed very unimpressed with the port. Now granted there is lots to do just a few miles away from the port but that doesnt stop people from talking badly about Calica and that may be enough for Carnival to make the change. Cozumel is more "eye friendly" i guess.

I would be disappointed if they drop Calica. Yes, Calica itself is nothing, but there is so much within short bus/van/cab ride.

I really enjoyed a Carnival excursion we did from Calica. It was the Mayan Village & Jungle Park. It included a light hike, swimming in a cenote, a visit to a small village, and a great meal. We were a small group, and afterwards our driver even dropped us off at PDC instead of the ship, whch saved us a cab fare.

I would hate to see other miss out on that excursion. :(

We're cruising on the Imagination in April and Calica is one of the ports....

You may want to check with Carnival for updates. :eek:

Carnival.com currently shows the 4/21 sailing going to Grand Turk & Nassau, and the 4/26 sailing going to Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios.

Archived