Celebrity's "Rome on Your Own Tour"

ncgolferette

Has anyone taken Celebrity's "Rome on Your Own Tour"? If you did - where did the tour bus drop you off in Rome? Was it convenient to the Hop On - Hop Off bus?? How large was the bus and were the people pretty punctual in arriving?? My husband and I will be in Rome next May and think that individual exploration is the only way to go for this remarkable city. Instead of hiring a private tour (there is just the two of us) for the day I was thnking that this excursion might be a good alternative. Any information is greatly appreciated.

We did the Med two years ago with RCCL and did "Rome on Your Own" with the transportation to/from Rome. I understand that the drop off/pick up points can change from week to week. My friends are currently on the Celebrity Millie, doing Rome on Your Own and have been told they will only find out which drop off point will be used when they get on the crusie.

Most stops are made in front of St. Peter's Square; alternatively they could be in the Forum/Colisseum area or there is another spot around the Vatican near the museum entrances. The hop on hop (hoho) off bus is usually very close by. Depending on the day you are in Rome, traffic could be horrendous and you may spend a lot of time just sitting on the hoho bus. You have to listen to the tour on your headphone set to make sure you know where you are for the various stops as they don't announce them. We missed the Tevi Fountain stop, expecting to see the fountain, but it is actually behind a block of buildings.

A suggestion you might consider if your ship docks overnight and doesn't leave until the next evening. Consider taking the train or private driver to Rome and spend the night in a downtown hotel and leave early afternoon via train/driver to return to the ship. This gives you a lot more time, at a more leisurely pace, to visit Rome. The private driver would cost you more, but it would also give you a lot more time to see Rome - and they take you right to the points of interest.

Even though it is only one hr drive to Rome from the ship - it takes almost another hr. to get to your drop-off point - arriving at approx. 10:30 am. That doesn't leave a lot of time to do you touring as you will likely have to be back at your pick-up point by 4 pm. If you are in Rome on a Wednesday, the Pope says Mass in St. Peter's Square around 10 am.

Archived