Melbourne - Jan 08

trvlgrlmn

I am thinking about taking Celebrity's "Great Ocean Road" excursion on Wed. Feb 20 and wanted to hear from anyone who has an opinion about this tour. It lasts 8 1/2 hours, 7 of which are on the bus. I understand that the scenery is spectacular (I'm an amateur photographer) and this is probably the only way to see the views in such a short time span. This will be our first time in Melbourne and I don't know if something else is a "must see."

Thanks in advance for all replies.

John

Hi, Yes the Great Ocean Road is worth exploring, but half the joy is taking the various roads to the special features and walking along the beaches, cliff tops areas where small rivers enters the sea and walking down piers etc and through the National Parks on the forest side. Being on a coach tour you will stop at a few of the larger sites and be able to get some feel of it and there is a good visitor centre to explore. Its an area that people will go back to and have favourite spots. The first 2 hours will be getting to the road that goes to area and likewise the last 2 hours are coming back. (Its a bit like us when we had to make a decison to go to Yosemite lots of travelling to and from but we had the time to stay one night there ) Whatever you choose a day in a port is never enough Also check trip advisor and do a search under Melbourne Great Ocean Road it will give you some interesting info annski:)

Jan is often very hot, if you decided to stay in the city may i sujest eureka towers for a fantasic view of melbourne and a tram down to St Kilda and to Chapel st South Yarra all can be done with the one day pass on the tram which can be caught just across the road from the pier. When In Jan are you in Melbourne?

The Great Ocean Road is Beautiful especialy in the summer months.

All think about The Yarra Valley and Healsville Sancturay for some great wine beautiful scenery and to see the wildlife.

Have Fun Melbourne is a great city and very easy to get around.

We also love Federation Square. It is just so different and it has become a great place to meet and mingle for Melbournites. I think most of us now love it but in the beginning there was a lot of mixed feelings.

If I were a visitor to Melbourne, I would go to the Healesville Sanctuary, then have lunch in the Yarra Valley at a winery and then return home via our Dandenong Ranges.

I adore the Great Ocean Road and we had a beach house down there for 27 years, but it does take nearly two hours before you reach the start of the GOR, and then being in January it will be so crowded as that is the time most families are on holidays. Also if it is a cloudy or wet day (we haven't had rain all year but are hoping!) you will not get the true picture of how beautiful it is. To me it is a road that you should take time to enjoy.

If you don't want to venture too far away then Melbourne is an easy walking city once you catch the Light Rail into the centre. We have wonderful Botanic Gardens, a fine Museum, a lovely Public library with a beautiful dome, two great Art Galleries, the Victoria Market, trams to ride, great shopping and lots of parks and gardens. You only have to buy a day ticket for about $3Aud and you can go anywhere on our trams, buses and trains.

We also have a free City Circle Tram (burgandy colour) which runs around the perimeter of the city and also a free Tourist Bus.

Jennie

Thank you for all of the great suggestions. I am looking forward to this trip of a lifetime. We leave Dec 31, then go to Cairns for 4 days, then Sydney for 3 days and then on to the Sapphire Princess for the cruise, departing January 9.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for the Melbournites. I'm coming down for a few days at Christmas arriving 23rd Dec. I wanted to buy some fresh fruit for a platter to take to our friends on Xmas Day - are Victoria Markets likely to be open on Xmas Eve?

Sorry, I know its not cruise related, but just seeing the mention of Victoria Markets above reminded me.;)

Mochuck,

As Christmas Eve this year is on a Sunday, the Victoria Market's fresh vegetables, meat, poultry and fish outlets will all be closed. Only the clothing and souvenir stalls will be open.

The Market will be open on Saturday morning, the 23rd, but it will start to close around 1pm or so. Could you get an early plane down or perhaps come a day earlier?

Jennie.

Mochuck,

As Christmas Eve this year is on a Sunday, the Victoria Market's fresh vegetables, meat, poultry and fish outlets will all be closed. Only the clothing and souvenir stalls will be open.

The Market will be open on Saturday morning, the 23rd, but it will start to close around 1pm or so. Could you get an early plane down or perhaps come a day earlier?

Jennie.

I'm flying using frequent flyer points - so very difficult to change. I just checked and Xmas Eve is actually on Monday and we are flying on the Sunday.

Mochuck,

The market is normally open for fresh foods on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning.

I am have just found a website and it does say that it will be open on Christmas Eve. Here is the link: http://www.qvm.com.au/market_event.php?id=181

I am sorry, I was a day out with Christmas and yet I knew that New Years Eve was on a Monday, obviously a Seniors moment alas!

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

If I were a visitor to Melbourne, I would go to the Healesville Sanctuary, then have lunch in the Yarra Valley at a winery and then return home via our Dandenong Ranges.

Jennie

Aussie Gal,

We will be in Melbourne in January for a day. How would you recommend getting to the Healesville Sanctuary & Yarra Valley? I've read on the boards that renting a car is not a good idea because of the traffic. I would like to do a private tour, but I think the cost would be too much if we can't find another couple to share the cost. Is there any public transportation that goes there? We like the adventure and freedom of touring on our own, not ship's tours.

Thanks! Janelle

Janelle,

Unfortunately, there is no public transport to Healesville and the Yarra Valley that you can take. You are looking at a distance of about 50 miles from the heart of the city. A train runs to Lilydale which would be the closest rail station but you would then have to find transport for the next 15 or so miles.

Other than taking a tour with the ship or organizing a private tour with either a tour company or private car there is no way of getting to the Sanctuary or the Yarra Valley on your own.

Jennie

We will be in Melbourne in January for a day. How would you recommend getting to the Healesville Sanctuary & Yarra Valley? I would like to do a private tour, but I think the cost would be too much if we can't find another couple to share the cost. We like the adventure and freedom of touring on our own, not ship's tours.

Janelle

Janelle....I have organised 2 groups of 10 from our Roll Call to go to Dandenongs/Yarra Valley/Healesville...starting with Puffing Billy Train! Pick-up ship for a wonderful day of sightseeing. Morning tea and Lunch at a Winery included :p Post details on your Roll Call and you are certain to get the 10 pax. Here is the website: www.atwad.com.au

Happy Cruising and Enjoy Shore Tours :)

B E V

i find it an eyesore and really don't like the area.

I like the botanical gardens and the walks along the riverbanks.

Jenny is keen on the yarra valley, and I am a fan of the Mornington Peninsula.

Both have great wineries to visit.

Cheers

Kaz

Kaz,

Don't get me wrong. I love the Mornington Peninsula, the wineries and the beaches. We spend a lot of time down your way as our daughter and family live there. but for ease of travel from the Port of Melbourne, the Yarra Valley is closer as I believe all the good wineries are past Mornington and around Red Hill which is a good hour and more from the city, whereas the Yarra Valley commences just past Lilydale and that is not nearly as far.

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...

We are stopping for a day in Melbourne on our cruise in Nov 08. We also have never been there before and are wondering what to do. So much to do - so little time. We have two kids who will be 11 and 9 (boy and girl). The 11 year old is AFL crazy so I am thinking a quick stopover at the MCG is probably a must. What else would you guys recommend that would be interesting for kids?

Thanks for your help.

Tanya

Tanya,

I am not sure where you are from. If you are from Australia then the MCG would be a must though there will not be anything on there at the time and you could only look in the museum. Other than that here are some suggestions:

I would highly recommend for your children either a trip to Healesville Sanctuary to see our wonderful wildlife and watch the Vets operate and fix the animails up who are injured or closer to Melbourne we have our wonderful zoo or our Werribee Open Plains park. Here is the website for the 3 of them. http://www.zoo.org.au/

Another trip would be a ride on our Puffing Billy train in our Dandenong Ranges which all children love. http://www.puffingbilly.com.au/

Jennie

Archived