Vancouver to Victoria

We will be arriving (after a southbound cruise) into Vancouver on July 19, 2008. After disembarking, we would like to travel to Victoria, tour the gardens and spend the night in Victoria. What is the best way to get from Vancouver to Victoria (remember, we'll have luggage!), check into a hotel and get to the gardens? Also, did I understand that Victoria has a castle tour also? After a night in Victoria, we will need to travel back to Seattle for a nights stay, then catch a plane out the following morning. Any suggestions on traveling from Victoria to Seattle? Ferries, rent car, motorcoach, hotels??? We're very confused at this point! :rolleyes: thanks for any suggestions!

Check out http://www.clippervacations.com They are a ferry service. They can arrange ferry service, plus book a nice package for you with a hotel, whale watching, Butchhart Gardens, tea at the Empress, or whatever you like.

We loved our day in Victoria on our west coast cruise. We did the high tea at the Empress, rode around a double decker bus, and toured Craig Darrock Castle (which was really more of a large house, but interesting none the less).

Also I've been craving vanilla cremes from Rogers Chocolates since we left. They have every sort of cremes in there. Our bus driver told us they delivered to the White House and to the Queen, so we had to have some. It was worth it. We didn't get to see the Gardens. We are thinking of planning a little trip with Clipper Vacations for a 2 night stay in Victoria. It's just a matter of when.

As far as transportation goes, I have no idea which is better or faster. I was checking on Clipper for ferry service from Seattle to Victoria. I noticed they also have ferry service from Vancouver to Victoria. So perhaps Clipper can take care of both legs of your trip for your transportation.

Hope that helps.

I might add that they had packages for accommodations at the Fairmont Empress and at the Marriott. The Fairmont is fun to explore, but is an older hotel. The Marriott is the newest hotel in Victoria and has bigger rooms, so I'm told. I think Bruce is who I spoke to about arranging our trip at Clipper.

Check out Pacific Coach Lines:

http://www.pacificcoach.com/index.cfm

They have several options, including picking you up at the cruise terminal after your cruise and taking you direct to downtown Victoria. I have used this service for my Alaska cruise as I live in Victoria. Look under "schedule - to/from cruiseship". You need to phone to reserve a seat for pickup at the cruise terminal. The only problem with this particular service is that it is from point A to point B only, no stopping at Butchart Gardens or a tour of Victoria, etc.

Once you're in Victoria, though, you can easily pick up a tour to Butchart Gardens. There are lots of tours available from on the street in front of the Empress Hotel. And, since you'll be here in the Summer, the Gardens will be open late, so you'll have time to see them.

And the Clipper to Seattle is the best way after your stay here. It is a very nice 3 1/2 hour trip.

There are lots of hotels around the Inner Harbour, close to where the bus terminal, Empress Hotel and Clipper are all located.

My suggestion is to take a sea-plane from Vancouver to Victoria.

The sea-plane base is 2 blocks from the cruise ship dock (Canada Place) - it takes off on skids from the harbour and takes you right to downtown Victoria in the harbour. It would be a fast, interesting, scenic and adventurous way to get to Victoria.

Their web site is http://www.harbour-air.com/home/index.php

You only live once!

"My suggestion is to take a sea-plane from Vancouver to Victoria'

Not a bad suggestion but what are their luggage restrictions - it's unlikely anyone cruising to Alaska will only have a small amount of luggage.

I suggest instead that you do the Pacific Coach Lines bus to Victoria - that way you sail through the Gulf Islands and Active Pass where you will see the other ferry passing almost within arms length of you.

The clipper to Seattle from Victoria would be my choice as you get a taste of the San Juan Islands and a great view of the skyline of Seattle as you dock downtown.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

1) There is no ferry from Vancouver to Seattle as far as I know.

2) Pacific stage lines are generally the best bet if you are not driving.

3) that being said I would recommend renting a vehicle and doing the trip yourself. One ways to Seattle are not a problem anymore with most main agencies. I t would give you so much more flexibility. Yes. There is a Castle in Victoria (more like a stone mansion). On leaving Victoria you can take a ferry across to Port Angeles Wa. and travel along the Olympic Mountains for a bit to get to Seattle.

so rent a car as soon as we get off the ship in Vancouver? then drive (ferry) to Victoria? Should we stay in Victoria OR Vancouver?

If you intent is to see Victoria and the Gardens plan on overnight in victoria.

You can get most rental from Canada Place. Some have cars on site others shuttle you.

19th of JULY is a Sunday and I would recommend making a early PM reservation via the Web site at that time of year. (just in case) http://www.bcferries.bc.ca/

The drive from the Pier to the Ferry is an easy hour on a Sunday. Do the Gardens just after you get off the ferry (side trip off to your right signage is easy) and then continue on to Victoria.

Ferry next day http://www.cohoferry.com/ across to Wa and a very nice drive to Seattle.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done this trip after arriving by cruise ship. I would definately ferry over. I think we took BC Ferries. We were picked up at the ship by bus and then the bus drove onto a car ferry over. It was a very relaxing trip. The ferry is huge and offers a large lounge and eating area. After arriving to Victoria we took a taxi to our hotel, spent a couple of nights and then took a non car ferry to Seattle. After arriving in Seattle we took a cab either to our hotel or the airport I can not remember. It is a great way with the least hasstle to take this side trip. Have fun. Linda

LInda, I need to ask you more questions... this is exactly what we're wanting to do. Did you rent a car in Victoria - or how did you tour? We're wanting to tour Butchart Gardens, etc. etc.... then head to Seattle for a day before flying home. What bus took you from the cruise terminal to the ferry then on over to Victoria? What hotel did you stay at in Victoria? Thanks!

Did you rent a car in Victoria - or how did you tour? We're wanting to tour Butchart Gardens, etc. etc.... then head to Seattle for a day before flying home. What bus took you from the cruise terminal to the ferry then on over to Victoria? What hotel did you stay at in Victoria? Thanks!

It's Pacific Coach Lines that picks you up at the cruise terminal and takes you to Victoria. See their website at:

http://www.pacificcoach.com/Schedule/Cruiseship

You have to make a reservation for this. They leave from the cruise terminal at 11:00 am and you will get into downtown Victoria around 3:30 pm.

If you're only in Victoria a day or two, you don't need a car, there's lots to see within walking distance of most hotels downtown. Tours to Butcharts are also readily available, either from PCL or from in front on the Empress Hotel right at the Inner Harbour.

Sandy

Check out www.clippervacations.com They are a ferry service. They can arrange ferry service, plus book a nice package for you with a hotel, whale watching, Butchhart Gardens, tea at the Empress, or whatever you like.

We loved our day in Victoria on our west coast cruise. We did the high tea at the Empress, rode around a double decker bus, and toured Craig Darrock Castle (which was really more of a large house, but interesting none the less).

Also I've been craving vanilla cremes from Rogers Chocolates since we left. They have every sort of cremes in there. Our bus driver told us they delivered to the White House and to the Queen, so we had to have some. It was worth it. We didn't get to see the Gardens. We are thinking of planning a little trip with Clipper Vacations for a 2 night stay in Victoria. It's just a matter of when.

As far as transportation goes, I have no idea which is better or faster. I was checking on Clipper for ferry service from Seattle to Victoria. I noticed they also have ferry service from Vancouver to Victoria. So perhaps Clipper can take care of both legs of your trip for your transportation.

Hope that helps.

I might add that they had packages for accommodations at the Fairmont Empress and at the Marriott. The Fairmont is fun to explore, but is an older hotel. The Marriott is the newest hotel in Victoria and has bigger rooms, so I'm told. I think Bruce is who I spoke to about arranging our trip at Clipper.

You can buy Rogers chocolates online! :)

• 1 month later...
We will be arriving (after a southbound cruise) into Vancouver on July 19, 2008. After disembarking, we would like to travel to Victoria, tour the gardens and spend the night in Victoria. What is the best way to get from Vancouver to Victoria (remember, we'll have luggage!), check into a hotel and get to the gardens? Also, did I understand that Victoria has a castle tour also? After a night in Victoria, we will need to travel back to Seattle for a nights stay, then catch a plane out the following morning. Any suggestions on traveling from Victoria to Seattle? Ferries, rent car, motorcoach, hotels??? We're very confused at this point! :rolleyes: thanks for any suggestions!

I lived in Victoria for 30 years, and here's my take on it....

1) Travel from Vancouver -> Victoria

a) Take the bus (PacificCoach.com). They can either pick you up at the cruise terminal, or you can take the subway(Skytrain) to Main St Station (4 stops) which is where the bus leaves from. This is probably a lot easier and cheaper than renting a car. (4-5 hours)

b) if you want to do it in style, take the floatplane from next to the cruise terminal (harbour-air.com), but it's in the range of $120/ea (45 mins)

2) What do to in Victoria.

There's lots to see downtown, you probably don't need a car. If you go to Buchart Gardens (15 miles out of downtown), there are lots of tour buses. The BC Museum is impressive (royalbcmuseum.bc.ca), so are the parliament (provincial govt) buildings. If you're looking for things to do a little way out of town (which you would want a car for), Fort Rodd Hill and the Dominion Astrophyical Observatory (Sat Nights only) are really interesting and filled with history.

3) Travel from Victoria -> Seattle

Four options

a) Clipper Navigation foot passenger ferry (clippervacations.com)

b) Coho car ferry to Port Angeles, then drive to Seattle if you have a car. (cohoferry.com)

c) Float Plane (kenmoreair.com)

d) Horizon (Alaska) Air from YYJ Victoria Airport -> SEA (AlaskaAir.com) which has the advantage of putting right where you need to be.

Archived