How many people make best dining experience?

cruise-a-lot

I think a larger table (6 to 8 people) might be a better way to meet people. It "spreads the risk" of getting an unfriendly or too-friendly couple at the table. Also if you don't like the company, speak to the Maitre 'D and he can move you to another table for the next dinner.

We prefer a table of 6-8. On our last cruise we forgot to tell our TA that and ended up at a table for 4. Luckily, the other couple were very nice and interesting, but we didn't eat together every night because of other dining options.

I like a table for 8 or 10 but since we have DD with us Carnival keeps giving us a table for 4 and only seating us. The one time they placed us with others it was honeymooners and it was not the best experience. I like to meet and talk to people and always prefer to be with others.

We like 8-10 and traditional late sitting. We also move around the table and sit next to a different couple each night. This has proved to make for very enjoyable conversations with all the parties at the table, not just the ones next to us, since there are different ones next to us each evening. Also, with late seating, we're not 'hurried' to leave to make time to clean up for the next group. Also, we sometimes get alot of extra deserts :D :D this way and time to indulge!

Yo-

We prefer 8-10-

Conversation usually lively and if you draw a "dud" couple or person - it isn't all that bad-

Only had a 4 once - and fortunately it was with a great couple-

Had a 6 booth on "Elation" - sucked for the service and conversation - never again-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

[quote name='robertew']We like 8-10 and traditional late sitting. We also move around the table and sit next to a different couple each night. This has proved to make for very enjoyable conversations with all the parties at the table, not just the ones next to us, since there are different ones next to us each evening. Also, with late seating, we're not 'hurried' to leave to make time to clean up for the next group. Also, we sometimes get alot of extra deserts :D :D this way and time to indulge![/QUOTE][size=3][color=purple]Robertew: I swear I thought I was reading my post! Thats exactly how we dine. Some look at us like we are crazy when we move around the table each night, but then by the 3rd night everyone sees who can be the first to the table to pick "their" chairs. :o Not rushing thru dinner is a added bonus. [/color][/size]

We, right now, only think we are going to eat in the dinning room for formal nights and I am concerned about how our table mates might react to that. We wont be there the first night and then we will just show up the first formal night and everyone will already know the other tablemates...I guess I am worried that they will think we are snotty or something that we didnt choose to eat with them earlier. Oh geez, I'm an over analyzer!
Do our chairs at the table just stay empty when we arent there? Do most people eat in the dinning room EVERY night?

BrodyBarb, they will try to seat you with other families whose children are about the same age as yours.

mirrajay, your chairs will be empty until you come to dinner. If you don't have tablemates that like to switch, they'll leave those two places for you every night. I don't know about the others, but we don't eat in the dining room every night. On our last cruise we had 5:45 seating, but we were having way too much fun before, during and after sailaway to stop and make that early seating. We also ate one night in the specialty restaurant. Our tablemates (table of 4) did the same so we ended up seeing them only 4 or 5 nights out of 7.

[quote name='S.S. Cruisers'][size=3][color=purple]Robertew: I swear I thought I was reading my post! Thats exactly how we dine. Some look at us like we are crazy when we move around the table each night, but then by the 3rd night everyone sees who can be the first to the table to pick "their" chairs. :o Not rushing thru dinner is a added bonus. [/color][/size][/QUOTE]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]That makes 3 of us because that's exactly what I thought when I read s.s.cruisers post! We've been very lucky on cruises to always get an interesting bunch. On our last cruise we were seated with 2 other couples who were cruise critic members. We didn't ask to be seated together, but were very glad we were![/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Terri[/font][/b]

I like the larger table for the above reasons. Once had a table for six, our group and that was good. But the table four for was a bummer as often it was just us. Also Carnival pair my DD & me with a widower & son. I'm married & ther was a ten year age difference between 18 yr old DD & his son.

Great thread. Isn't it funny how we all really kind of think of the same things and then it just takes one of us to post the thought and we are all off and running with it. :)

We have been at tables of 8-10 and at booths. Definately prefer tables. It is awful to have three couples at a booth for six. You are always slidding in and out as people come or go. We always ask for a table.

Then, we have been with 4 other couples, with just the party we were cruising with and also by ourselves. We prefer to be with other people. Otherwise the conversation was similar to that which we have every night at home. I love to hear about other people and where they are from, if they've cruised be, what they do for a living etc, etc, etc.

So, if any of you are on the Glory sailing October 30th, we'd be happy to have you at our table!

We definitely prefer 8-10 people.... On our last cruise, they originally had us at a 4 top and we HAD to move to a bigger table. It's just not the same without sharing the week with different folks... We still email most of our previous dinner mates even today.

I'm happy to see this discussion, because I've been thinking about this. For our honeymoon, I'm inclined to reqeust a table for 2. Not because we need the privacy, but because my DF is a very shy person and usually asks me to lead the conversation (even when out with his friends!)

Chris is a real sweety with lots to say, but never opens up at the table unless we're alone. Any advice on this one?

I think DH and I are going to request a 2 top. We have two small children and it seems like we haven't been alone together in several years. We love to be away from the kids and reconnect, although we often discuss how wonderful our kids are :)

I know we'll miss the socialization aspect of the cruise, but I think this cruise is just for us to spend time together and reconnect as people (not mommy and daddy).

Next time will be for socialization fun!

What an outgoing bunch of people you are!:)
I think I'm leaning toward a table or booth for 4 for myself
and two boys. (though initially I'd planned to be part of a
larger table if it was possible) My 14yo is not the most social
with people he doesn't know so it would probably be more
comfortable for him if we don't share. I want him to dine
traditionally for the duration of the cruise and I don't think he
will if he feels awkward.
Is there a good chance for us to get our desired seating or will
we have to go with whatever the maitre'd decides??

I've wanted to have alot of people at our table but no such luck so far. One time we had a table of 8 with only us and another time a table of 4 with just us again. So we invited a nice grandmotherly type person to keep us company since she was at a table of 8 by herself. It made for interesting dinner conversation since she had been on several cruises with different companies. If we're at a table by ourselves next time then there's something wrong since we're booking with 100something people :D

Archived