Choice of Bears Tours

tetons

Neither- all 3 are different locations. Consider booking independent for a more personal tour. I have gone to Neets and Anan. Excellent tour choices and you are going peak. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Dear Budget Queen, Thank you so much for all the info you give to these boards. I am planning a trip to alaska in June (24)2005. Are their alot of bears to been seen this time of year and do u recommend an excursion to see the bears. If so, where is the best place to see the bears. I am going Southbound, on celebrity from Fairbanks to Vancouver with a land tour before that. Thanks for your input. Lois

Denali Park- so be certain to book a land tour with the Tundra Wilderness tour included. Binoculars will be necessary. These are the half size land brown bears- blacks rarely seen. You are too early for inside passage bear trips out of Ketchikan, but possible out of Pack Creek - float plane from Juneau- with Alaska Fly N Fish. (browns)

we are doing a land tour before we do our cruise. We will be doing the Tundra Wilderness tour. I will bring binoculars. Thanks so much for the info.I'm going to book Capt. Larry(thru your recommendation) for whale watching. Do u recommend morning, afternoon or evening for the whale watching. Will talk again soon.
People like you, make novices like myself excited about our cruise. I thank you for that and thank you for all the info you share with the people on the boards. Lois

Budget Queen,

Just a question

To benefit everyone on CC, should we not be recommending that people who are going to do a land tour pre or post cruise and want to see bears, go to Katmai? The day trips to Katmai are only slightly more expensive than the private (or ship) excursions to Traitors Cove, etc., etc., etc. and should be a better experience. I have been to Katmai each of the last four years and have seen browns each year. Last year there were almost too many bears-very late August. Had a really hard time taking pictures of all. Over 30 bears in the ocean at one time salmon fishing. I understand that people who are only doing a cruise only have the "cruise excursions" to see bears. But people who are doing land pre or post should have an option, IMHO.

Yes certainly- but June is still too early for Katmai?? Post who you go with, I am going this year out of Homer, and am trying to get one that doesn't require hiking in hip waders and has some "basic" comforts. (you can only imagine???")

Viola!!! We do our trips with Clint and Smyra from Hallo Bay. They also have a BB in Homer. Best rates if you book a tour and BB. Private camp in the Katmai-everything from day trips out of Homer(you fly Homer Air-Andy is a GREAT pilot) to weeklong and more. You should enquire about being on staff, for a short time, as much as you love Alaska. I think they are still looking for a cook this summer.

Camp is really in the middle of the Katmai-bears wander through the camp. NO hip waders needed, only knee high rubber boots (purchased in Homer the first trip for $16.00) when we went walking one day, food is great and the camaderie from the camp is the best. We keep going back-what does that tell you??? If you go, email Smyra and tell them Gina sent you. BTW, she also does a trip to see the polar bears in Churchill every year. She flies from not too far from you. I want to go, just have not been able to connect when she goes, YET!!! [url="http://www.hallobay.com/"]http://www.hallobay.com/[/url]

We have done the Anan trip, and although we'd love to do the trip with Hallo Bay, it would be very expensive for a family of 5! We discovered High Adventure Air in Soldotna. We'll do a combo salmon fishing/bear watch. We'll be landing on a lake and then fishing and looking for bears from small boats. This will be an all day affair (with a fish fry on the beach), and will cost $200.00 less a person than the Hallo Bay trip. We will there be at the end of the season for this area, which is why we'll be out the whole day to give us more bear viewing opportunities. Hopefully we'll be lucky. Someday, when my children are self-supporting, I would love to go to Katmai though [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Palomino:
Hopefully we'll be lucky. Someday, when my children are self-supporting, I would love to go to Katmai though [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL...please tell me when this occurs!!!!!!!

9/2000 Carnival Tropicale
12/2001 NCL Norway
9/2002 NCL Norway
10/2003 Disney Wonder
2005...Alaska

We are sailing on the Coral from Whittier to Vancouver on 13th August 2005 but are doing a land tour first.
Would the timing be good for us to visit Katmai? (early August) If so, can someone tell me where and how to book.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;05;16;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
Until we sail on Star Princess

Please email [email]me-greatam@earthlink.net[/email].

What do you want??? Day tour, 3-4 days, etc. etc. etc. I have been to the Katmai 4 years in a row and every year is different. But once the salmon start running (mid July) bears are always seen no matter where you go on the Katnai.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Budget Queen:
Are you going to Homer?- plenty of tours available there, also look at Anchorage [url="http://www.anchorage.net<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>"]http://www.anchorage.net<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>[/url]

Budget Queen

Do you not think we should recommend people rent a car, drive to Homer (only four hours and great scenery) and NOT try to fly from ANCHORAGE? Approx $400 day bear trip from Homer vs $525 day trip from Anc. Rental car is no more than $60.00 per day, if you book it direct with Hertz, Avis, etc., etc., in Anchorage. Priceline is more like $30.00 from Anchorage. Saves a lot of money.

I just booked a mini-van-Priceline-August 31-Sept 12-$28.00 per day inclusive.

Greatam,
I appoligize for being lazy... but are you saying that the best (cheapist)trip to Katmai is from Homer for about $400 (each?) And what is the peak season there for this trip? Mear peak (cheaper but still good viewing)? And what is the camp and the bb you mention? Is the bb in homer, ie, stay there before or after bear trip. Sounds interesting if I can sell my car or get a bank loan? Thanks again. Are there whalewatching trips out of Homer or access to Kenai Fjords islands? Guess I better find the map.

thanks Tlingitbrave for the input.I am going to be Alaska in the middle of June,2005 and am glad that I will be able to see bears at Denali Park and now in Icy Straits. Even though this land and cruise is a year away, these boards are terrific in helping me plan my trip. Many thanks to all who contribute to these boards. Lois

thanks Tlingitbrave for the input.I am going to Alaska in June,2005 and am glad that I will be able to see bears at Denali Park and Icy Straits. Even though this land and cruise is a year away, these boards are terrific in help planning my trip. Many thanks to all who contribute to these boards. Lois

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnQ:
Greatam,
I appoligize for being lazy... but are you saying that the best (cheapist)trip to Katmai is from Homer for about $400 (each?) And what is the peak season there for this trip? Mear peak (cheaper but still good viewing)? And what is the camp and the bb you mention? Is the bb in homer, ie, stay there before or after bear trip. Sounds interesting if I can sell my [url="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw"]car[/url] or get a bank [url="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||loan|AA1VDw"]loan[/url]? Thanks again. Are there whalewatching trips out of Homer or access to Kenai Fjords islands? Guess I better find the map.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best bear viewing trips out of Homer (and some are DEFINITELY better than others-email me if you want suggestions) all run around $400.00pp for a day trip (about 8 hours). Those trips are a chance to see the huge Alaska coastal browns (grizzlies), very up close and personal (I have been within 30 ft of 2 four year old females for over 1/2 hour-I have the video; our friends were within 12 ft of a large female-their guide had to gently guide the bear away).

I just looked at the Holland America website and the 3+ hour trip to Traitor's cove was $279. I may be mistaken, but I believe most of the bears on the eastern coast of Alaska (Inside Passage where most cruises go) are black bears. I wanted to see grizzlies-you can see lots of blacks in Pennsylvania and even in the hills of NJ (they invaded one town in NJ this spring).

It is my understanding that the browns on the Katmai are there year round, although the best viewing times are when the salmon start running-July-Sept. The bears in the Katmai go inland when there are no salmon and feed on the sedge grasses. You need a guide who follows the bears' daily movements to be able to see them every day. And you do not (IMHO) want to go to Brooks Falls. That is the place with the classic bear pictures you see in every documentary. The only problem is-it is controlled by the Park Service (too many tourists want to go) and you need to draw by lottery to see the bears. Lots of people do not even get a draw. It is my understanding that ALL of 2004 is sold out. You only get 15 minutes on a "viewing platform" and then you go to the back of the line again. Not my idea of seeing bears in the wild.

When I have been to the Katmai-3 times (one time to Brooks Falls-I had to see what the documentaries portrayed) and will go again this September-I wanted an upclose and personal experience. Not forced, not "Hollywood". Really wanted to see the bears in their natural environment. I have seen it and am going back again this year. It is that precious to me.

I do my accommodations as inexpensive as possible-be it B&B, RV camping, whatever. My money is on the bear excursions. I can always sleep in a fancy hotel and pay the exorbitant rate-can I see the bears up close and personal?? Good Question. OOPS, I spent my money on a fancy hotel. I would rather spend my money on excursions that are really meaningful. That is how I economize.

If you need further advice, please email me. [email]greatam@earhlink.net[/email]. You are taking the luck of the draw seeing bears in Denali.

What company out of Haines is $400??? I haven't found any under $500, Emerald Air, Bald Mountain Air, Halo?? All more than $400. I don't want a real primative either- (carry your used toilet paper in a baggie. Certainly driving to Homer is an excellent adventure in it's self, but if you don't have the time- bear tours are listed from Anchorage. Homer for me is at least 2 nights.

Thank you, Budget Queen.

We do NOT spend a LOT of money for anything other than "BEAR VIEWING In THE KATMAI." I spend my money on airfare, overnights to the Katmai Penisula, etc., and every thing etc., etc., on the Katmai penusula.

The best bear viewing trips out of Homer (and some are DEFINITELY better than others-email me if you want suggestions) all run around $400.00pp for a day trip (about 8 hours). Those trips are a chance to see the huge Alaska coastal browns (grizzlies), very up close and personal (I have been within 30 ft of 2 four year old females for over 1/2 hour-I have the video; our friends were within 12 ft of a large female-their guide had to gently guide the bear away

But what companies are these in the $400 range you post????

Budget Queen,

Just got a nice email from Homer Air. Evidently, with the price of aviation fuel being almost $4.00 per gallon, they have raised their prices. They stated their one day bear tour is now $450.00 (was $410.00 in 2003) and Hallo Bay has raised their one day tour from $425.00 to $475.00. Since Hallo Bay uses Homer Air for transport, I would guess the increase in price is for the increase in air price. Hallo Bay's 2-7 days trips look to be the same or only slightly more (maybe $50.00 on the shorter 2 day trip) than 2003.

I just looked at the Hallo Bay website and sure enough, their day bear viewing tour is now $475.00. Their bed and bears package with one or two nights in Homer at their B & B sure makes sense.

Sorry I didn't give you good information. We booked our upcoming trip in January, before the fuel started going up so high and fast.

Archived