QE2 Advice For This Weekend

Top Cat

On the QE2 this weekend for the short cruise to Belgium and back. What are the things we shouldn't miss? We have been on cruises before, but never on the QE2 and want to make the most of our short time aboard. We are staying in a Queens Grill room and taking my wife's parents (who have never cruised before) as well.

Sorry, I know these type of messages get posted all the time, but just wanted to get the info in one place.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Top Cat

On the QE2 this weekend for the short cruise to Belgium and back. What are the things we shouldn't miss? We have been on cruises before, but never on the QE2 and want to make the most of our short time aboard. We are staying in a Queens Grill room and taking my wife's parents (who have never cruised before) as well.

Sorry, I know these type of messages get posted all the time, but just wanted to get the info in one place.

Top Cat

There is much too much to do in a weekend. I recommend the Chart Room and Queens Room. Unless you really want to see a show, I would give it a miss. That way you get more time to spend in the other bars. :D

Top Cat

Afternoon tea in the Queens Room is a must !

Look for the Champagne Bar (One deck port, forward) one of the few rooms still in glorious '60s decor. Walk up and down the A D and G staircases - the ones that would have been for Third, First and Second classes respectively - which you'll quickly recognise from their size and style. Explore! Get lost! Its all part of the fun.....

Peter

On the QE2 this weekend for the short cruise to Belgium and back

Hi why not pop along to the roll calls there are a few of us going on this trip.

Advice on what to see, well l did this trip last year, depending on how the ship docks you should be able to get some nice photos of her berthed and a good bow shot!

As for the place its self, l did the Belgian chocolate tour and enjoyed that, But like you lm taking my parents on this trip, they are looking forward to it.

The shows can be a mixed bag, as for what to see and do, Just enjoy the atmosphere and at being on board part of history, You will either love her or hate her. And most of us love the old girl to bits:D

Explore the ship, if there happens to be a heritage tour advertised do it!! you will learn more about the ship from that!

As Lanky Lad says, there really is much to much to do over a weekend, On these Party cruises, you might find the passenger mix is not the normal QE2 crowd, but dont let that put you off.

Cheers and maybe see you onboard !

Myles

19760650_QE2OCT2006CRUISEpart1071.jpg.40d2a25c55c3bbc3e6eadc4268501271.jpg

1871254904_QE2OCT2006CRUISEpart1058.jpg.cc835e260a79307dfff86f005c48081d.jpg

Just do what you all feel like doing and enjoy every precious moment aboard. You can't do it all and see it all in a few days, but you will be able to look back and know that you had a small part in the long history of a wonderful liner. Have a truly wonderful trip:)

Anita

Make sure you leave it neat and tidy for me on Sunday.

Hints for the Queens' Grill.

You have to ask for Caviar. But you can have it as a starter.

With notice, they will cook you something other than the menu items. Just because you want it - although they prefer to do it for at least two of you.

Menu is set out:

Cold Starter

Hot starter

Soup

Main Course

Pudding.

There is nothing to stop you having four or even five courses. Cheese is also available so make it six if you want.... They tend to assume cheese as an alternative to pud, but that's only because that is what most people do.

Don't be afraid to ask for guidance from the Sommelier about wine - especially if you're after pushing the boat out or just want a glass. The Chateau Coufran is quite acceptable and about $8 a glass. The Chateau Lynch-Bages is always nice, as is the Chateau L'Evangile. They keep their claret well. The only difficulty is that they seem to prefer to appoint people with knowledge of new world wine. There should be someone in the restaurant though with a good knowledge of French wine - I think they try to mix and match interests through the restaurant. We've almost always been very lucky with sommeliers.

Avoid the coffee, assuming you like coffee. I always have a double espresso in the Queens' Grill Lounge. You need to order it from the restaurant for it to be free. Don't ask why - there cannot be a sensible reason when the Queens' Grill Lounge is only used for coffee and brandy after dinner - it closes too early to be a nightspot.....

But - most important of all - be on the Sun Deck observation platform just before the ship gets underway. (Just under the Bridge.) You'll be in the best place for the whistle - assuming you're not in 8081/2 or possibly 8001-4, where the balconies are pretty good. 8081 and 8082 - front balcony - best place on the ship for the whistle.

Worth popping out on deck (weather permitting) after dinner and seeing just how busy the English Channel really is! What you won't get is a sense of the ship cutting through the water at speed - you're actually taking a lot longer than a passenger ferry to do the journey!

Chart room has the piano from the Queen Mary. Worth seeing before it is lost to Dubai.

Avoid the Lido. If you are hungry when you get on board you may decide to have a quick bite there, but after that - it's a place to avoid unless they are doing a Gala Buffet -which is worth seeing.

Look out for the silver model of QE2 in the midships lobby (where you get on). You'll be taken to your cabin by a steward - as will everyone.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Matthew

If you are in the QG, have the flamed duckling a l'orange. It is my all time favourite dish.

And, of course, don't touch the dreaded P--A----.:)

There is so much good on the menu in the Queens' Grill that two nights isn't enough.....

I'd forgotten about the Pol Acker. You'll have a bottle in your cabin (unless you've booked Q2, QS or Q1).

Don't touch it. If you want champagne - and you will - order a bottle of Perrier Jouet NV at $40. Trust me on this one - it will be money well spent. Or take a bottle with you - it's permitted. Just don't - please - drink the Pol Acker. It's caustic. You really don't want to make yourself ill.....

If you have booked Q2, QS or Q1 then you'll have a bottle of Perrier Jouet. Good stuff. It's a nice wine.

Matthew

Make sure you leave it neat and tidy for me on Sunday.

There is nothing to stop you having four or even five courses. Cheese is also available so make it six if you want.... They tend to assume cheese as an alternative to pud, but that's only because that is what most people do.

What?! Surely cheese follows pud...............

There should be someone in the restaurant though with a good knowledge of French wine - I think they try to mix and match interests through the restaurant. We've almost always been very lucky with sommeliers.

I do hope you're not including Chilean wine as new world.

Avoid the coffee, assuming you like coffee. I always have a double espresso in the Queens' Grill Lounge. You need to order it from the restaurant for it to be free. Don't ask why - there cannot be a sensible reason when the Queens' Grill Lounge is only used for coffee and brandy after dinner - it closes too early to be a nightspot.....

Sound advice; espresso is the only barely enjoyable coffee option. I understand there is a limited number of espresso facilities on board.

Matthew, I know you'll have a wonderful trip. Bon voyage to you both:)

Anita

What?! Surely cheese follows pud...............

I'm a follower of the French - pud follows cheese......

There should be someone in the restaurant though with a good knowledge of French wine - I think they try to mix and match interests through the restaurant. We've almost always been very lucky with sommeliers.

I do hope you're not including Chilean wine as new world.

I am. New World v Continental European. Just a convenient way of looking at it as far as I'm concerned. I profess no knowledge of Chilean wine beyone the simple fact that it comes from Chile. Not intended as a qualitative comment.

Matthew, I know you'll have a wonderful trip. Bon voyage to you both:)

Anita

Thanks!

Matthew

Thanks all for your great advice, it has been a great help. If you think of any more good ideas, then please let me know.

Top Cat

I look forward to meeting you, and everyone else from CC for this crossing (of the channel). It has been suggested that we all meet in the chart room at 2200. See you all there I hope.

Matthew,

On the subject of Chilean wine, may I repectfully suggest that you don't class all generically as 'New World'. Chile has a long tradition of viniculture, with many fine grape varieties grown in exceptionally good and natural conditions. The Pinochet years were responsible for destruction of much tradition (and vine stock). But now there is a number of small producers whose wine is comparable to the best French.

I wouldn't choose to drink Australian or Californian. My first choice would always be Chilean or French. If you tried a Santa Rita or Erraruiz, you may be pleasantly surprised.:) And they have higher riboflavinoids then French wine, so much better for the heart!!

Matthew,

On the subject of Chilean wine, may I repectfully suggest that you don't class all generically as 'New World'. Chile has a long tradition of viniculture, with many fine grape varieties grown in exceptionally good and natural conditions. The Pinochet years were responsible for destruction of much tradition (and vine stock). But now there is a number of small producers whose wine is comparable to the best French.

I wouldn't choose to drink Australian or Californian. My first choice would always be Chilean or French. If you tried a Santa Rita or Erraruiz, you may be pleasantly surprised.:) And they have higher riboflavinoids then French wine, so much better for the heart!!

I wasn't dissing it. I know nothing of it.

I might give it a try on QE2 if she has something interesting looking. Perhaps a time to ask the sommelier!

Is a higher Ribena content good?

Matthew

I wasn't dissing it. I know nothing of it.

I might give it a try on QE2 if she has something interesting looking. Perhaps a time to ask the sommelier!

Is a higher Ribena content good?

Matthew

Yes. to your last question. Riboflavinoids appear to have a positive effect on heart function for a range of reasons. Chilean wines have a particularly high 'count' of ribos.

That aside, it can be a truly good wine. Hopefully, you'll be blessed with an informed sommelier. Bon voyage................no jeans or spandex tights packed I trust:)

Archived