Seward to Anchorage: train or car?

chirk

There are four of us disembarking Celebrity Summit 9/3 in Seward, headed for Anchorage to pick up an RV for more fun.

What are the pros and cons of driving vs. taking the train or the bus?

Car should definitely be cheaper, right? But is the scenery on the train THAT spectacular? (And does it really take 5 hours??)

Thank you!

Ony One-way car rental from Seward is Hertz and is $250 for a full-sized car and $350 for SUV. I don't know how this compares to the train or bus. Could take a Kenai Fjords boat tour and then catch the evening train - at least you would get to spend some time in Seward.

Will be about the same with a car rental or train split 4 ways. Bus would be my last choice. Scenery is superior from the train if of interest. But it gets back to Anchorage around 10pm so your last several miles will be dark. As I responded elsewhere- be certain to take advantage and TOUR Seward, don't just pass though. The top attraction is the Kenai fjord boat tour- at least 6 hours on the water. You can get a tour that ends at 5:30pm and still either catch the train or drive back to Anchorage. Allow 3 hours with brief stops. Since you will have an RV I suggest you travel back down the Arm or as I suggested do a loop tour and ferry to Whitter. You then have another Arm opportunity. icon_smile.gif I would give an edge to the car option with 4 people. You will have more access to your hotel, food and time. If you don't do the boat- head to Exit Glacier, Sealife Center, Seavey's sled dogs, Godwin's helicopters etc. Request their visitor guide. www.sewardak.org

• 2 weeks later...

Archived