Can you believe this?

RosieR

I'm booked for the CP for Sept 25, 04. My husband had received his passport about 2 weeks ago and I haven't received mine yet. We had applied on the same day. I called the passport office to see if I would receive it soon. Well they told me they can't send me a passport because the county in NJ where I was born had some fraud issues so they closed the office and they were no longer going honor those Birth cert. I was in shock. They told me I had two options. I could overnight express papers that I could fill out and go to the state capital to get another b.c. and overnight that to the passport agency and hope I get it in time. Second option I had to call this other service and they would get me a b.c. from the state that I could travel with and get a copy to send to get my passport. Either way no guantee I would get either in time for the trip. So now I gave this service the info. and I call immigration and they tell me I cannot go with out a passport. I called Princess but they are saying it is fine as long as the b.c. is valid. I do have insurance but I doubt it covers something like this. My concern is they will not except my original b.c. but they will except one from an agency that can get me a new one. Does not make sense to me. thanks for allowing me to share my story Rose

Hi Rosie,

That sounds terrible! Government bureaucracy at its finest...

Do you still have an official copy of the old birth certificate? If so, you should be able to travel with that. I can't see any reason why Princess would know that the state has decided that it's no longer valid. Might be worth a try, as long as it's an official copy... (Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.)

Good luck!
Mary Ellen

[b][color=blue]As long as your visiting Caribbean ports, I think Mexico and Canada a birth certificate w/a raised seal should be enough. It's a shame they couldn't notify you earlier so you could make other arrangements to get a new bc. I don't know how far you are from Trenton but if you go to the Labor Building they have the vital records there so they can give you a bc right away as long as you have the correct info.[/color][/b]

[b][color=#0000ff]Debbie[/color][/b]
[b][color=#0000ff][/color][/b]

Hi Rosie,

Since you are taking a Caribbean Princess cruise (east or west), you don't need a passport. However, you will need a certified birth certificate. When Hurricane Charley was approaching Tampa, FL I was gathering all my documents for my 9/4 CP cruise (yes I know...I'm concerned too...). Only to discover, I couldn't find my birth certificate!! This was only a couple of weeks ago. So I contacted the link below and they had a certified copy in my hands within 3 days! However, with Hurricane Frances....I probably won't be able to take the cruise anyway... But I'm keeping my hopes up. At least call them and see if they can help you.

[url]http://www.usbirthcertificate.com/google/newjersey.html[/url]

Since you aren't leaving until the end of September you should have enough time to get a passport. Contact Trenton immediately to find out the fastest way you can obtain a Full Birth Certicate. They should probably be able to mail it to you quickly. Then request an expedited passport.
You might also want to check with the county you live in. In South Jersey some of the counties have County stores in the malls where you can get a passport processed in less than 10 days.
If you don't mind me asking what county were you born in? Just curious as to which county there is a problem with since I am a County worker in South Jersey.

[quote name='RosieR']I'm booked for the CP for Sept 25, 04. My husband had received his passport about 2 weeks ago and I haven't received mine yet. We had applied on the same day. I called the passport office to see if I would receive it soon. Well they told me they can't send me a passport because the county in NJ where I was born had some fraud issues so they closed the office and they were no longer going honor those Birth cert. I was in shock. They told me I had two options. I could overnight express papers that I could fill out and go to the state capital to get another b.c. and overnight that to the passport agency and hope I get it in time. Second option I had to call this other service and they would get me a b.c. from the state that I could travel with and get a copy to send to get my passport. Either way no guantee I would get either in time for the trip. So now I gave this service the info. and I call immigration and they tell me I cannot go with out a passport. I called Princess but they are saying it is fine as long as the b.c. is valid. I do have insurance but I doubt it covers something like this. My concern is they will not except my original b.c. but they will except one from an agency that can get me a new one. Does not make sense to me. thanks for allowing me to share my story Rose[/QUOTE]
If you are close to Philadelphia or New York, you can go into the regional passport offices there and they should be able to expedite one for you. The expedited services are good but they are expensive. I'm from NJ as well and I'm also curious about the county that was taken over.

Deborah

It is my orginial b.c. and I have traveled on many caribbean cruises using it. But due to the closing of the county office no one with a b.c. from there can use it for the purpose of getting a passport. Princess said it would be ok but immigration said if they realize it is no longer valid I would have a problem. In NJ they filed b.c.'s in the county and in the state capital. It is still ok to get one from the state. Today when I heard this I began to panic. It will cost me about 38 dollars to get one and an copy from this agency. After I calmed down I'm still glad I made that decision. I would have cost me more taking a day off from work gas and the anxiety of driving there.

LovingFl I too hope Hurricane Frances will stay out of your way and all our other fellow cruises.
Thanks for all your support. You can imagine how I felt when I heard this and needed to share my story with other cruises who could understand. Most of my friend don't cruise and don't understand how it would feel to miss your cruise. Thanks Rose

Sorry MNYTRPS2G02, I was born in Jersey City, Hudson County. Did you ever hear of anything like this before? I wander what the fraud was that was so bad that they had to close the office.

It would be interesting to hear what happened there. It must be something big. It seems there should be a way for them to issue birth certificates with all the new technology. I guess it's no big deal since Trenton is still able to issue them.
Years ago I had the same problem as you. I was born in Massachusetts and had been using the same birth certificate for years. It got me into Mexico, Aruba, etc. When my husband and I went to get passports his was issued immediately and mine was denied because my birth certificate was not state issued. I too panicked and in those days I didn't have access to a computer. Once I got myself together I made some phone calls and was able to have one sent from Boston for a very high fee. It was worth the money to avoid anymore stress. When I took my daughter to Boston the following year I marched her down to Vital Statstics and made her pick up a couple of copies of her bc to avoid this problem in the future.
Have a wonderful cruise. I hope to also sail on the Caribbean Princess soon...

RosieR you have time providing you are able to obtain the required Birth Certificate.

I am sailing on the Diamond Princess on the same day, 9/25/04 and until recently did not realize my Passport expired in March.

I did the following:

1. $115 check payable to U.S. State Department

2. Renewal form DS-82(?)

3. Enclosed old Passport

4. Enclosed Federal Express airbill fully addressed to me for returning with the charges reversed to me

5. Sent by Federal Express with the word "EXPEDITE" written on the outside on both sides.

I did all of the above on August 20th and received my new Passport in 5 days.

In your case you have already sent a fee, however, you may need to enclosed a $60 for expedited service. If you do not want to take a chance, send the $115 and speak with the same agent and request the first check back.

There is time -- so long as you use put everything into motion now.

Good luck!

When I talked to the woman at the passport agency today she told me to stop stressing out and calm down that they could issue me one in a couple of days after they get the new b.c. I fiqure I will send one copy for the passport and then just keep the other to use if it doesn't come in time. I'm gonna really need this vacation by the time it comes. In any case I am going with or without the new b.c. I'll take my chances just to go on the cruise. Does anyone remember when immigration comes on the ship? Is it once you come backfrom a foreign port or before you arrive?

RosieR, I believe Immigration comes on after. However, I also believe you will not be permitted to board if Princess feels you will not be allowed off. But then again, you are a U.S. Citizen and what are the chances the Princess representatives know about the NJ problem.

I have personal experience with this with a nephew-in-law. I gave my niece (US citizen) a honeymoon cruise on RCCL. Her new husband is not a US citizen and was not permited to board due to insufficient Visa. Long story, I sued got my money back and not similar situation to yours.

Sorry to burst your bubble, however, you should have no worries as you will be receiving your new Passport within 5-8 working days after submitting the necessary paperwork by Federal Express both ways all charges paid by you.

Again, good luck!

Didn't you have to send the birth certificate to the passport agency? We had to send our (original) certificates of live birth abroad when we applied for our passports and they came back with the passports. I guess I just assumed the same held true if you used a birth certificate?

TinaLee

[font=Arial Black][size=4][size=3]You could also try contacting your Congressperson and both Senators that represent you. As a federal employee I can assure you that a call from a member of congress to the director of the agency will get things rolling. Implore your elected representative to make a quick call on your behalf. Just a thought![/size]

[/size][/font]

[quote name='RosieR']Sorry MNYTRPS2G02, I was born in Jersey City, Hudson County. Did you ever hear of anything like this before? I wander what the fraud was that was so bad that they had to close the office.[/QUOTE]
Rosie, I was born in Jersey City as well. I have a bc from the county and I used mine last year to get a passport. When did the office close? I actually did not know that happened. There have been problems with the DMV and other agencies post 9/11. There was lots of fraud discovered and now you have to jump through a million hoops to renew drivers licenses etc. I also know there was some investigations done in JC after 9/11 in connection with what happened.

Even though I have my passport, I should check and see if my bc is still valid. I used it recently along with my passport for the points needed to renew my drivers license at the DMV. I didn't have any problems. But I will double check just in case. I hope everything works out for you.

Deborah

I once had my passport stolen three days before a trip to London. I used one of the emergancy passport services and while it was expensive they got it to me a day before I departed. I know you can use your drivers liscense but if you want a passport for emotional security then you can get it done. What a mess.

[b][color=blue]Rosie, you bring up a lot of Q&A's to your dilema. First when ordering a passport you need to send the original bc otherwise you won't get one and when you go to board the ship you have to have an original bc or your not getting on. And secondly how did it cost you $38 to get a bc, if you go to Trenton's Labor Bldg to Vital Records it's only $6 and when I got my DH's bc from City of Trenton it was only $6 so their's a big discrepancy there.[/color][/b]
[b][color=#0000ff][/color][/b]
[b][color=#0000ff]Debbie[/color][/b]

We had went to a post office to appy for the passports. For a fee they will send it in for you. It wasn't my orig. b.c. but a old official copy with a raised seal that I had had for a long time. :Post office said it was ok. The US passport agency said because it came from Hudson County that is would not be accepted. The company I had called yesterday to get me a new one was recommened to me by the US passport agency. I had used it to cruise last Sept and again in Nov. and there was no problem. Deborah I'm thinking of call the passport agency now to see if my orig. one is good, maybe that's the one I should send. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for all your support. I'm off to the phone.

BOARD MEMBERS:

[quote name='Princesa']RosieR, HostChris has made a good point.

Are you talking U.S. Passport Agency?

I hope so because the information I have offered is for U.S. Citizens only.[/QUOTE]

Good observation.

I'm equally concerned that the OP might be working with a private company thinking they're working with the State Department and/or that there might be a communication issue here or of more concern, a business practices concern. If any of those are reflected in the reality of this they would surely influence our advice.

Have we ruled those possibilites out to everyone's satisfaction?

I'm not seeing it in the OP's

Archived