AOS 9/30/2007- Disappointment

I was considering booking AOS for the end of Aug but reading these posts have me wondering if I should even bother. .

Hi Huntington! Massapequa here. Times may have changed, but when we sailed AOS at the end of August 2003, the ship had a very large (like 60% or more, can't remember the exact number) percentage of people from the Northeastern USA. This area is still on summer break while a lot of other parts of USA have already gone back to school, and many Northeasterners take advantage of lower rates and travel during this time.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going on the AOS in January with 25 friends and family members for my wedding in Aruba and I'm trying to not let this thread get me down.

Laura

It is not only a great ship but also the only itinerary that I have like enough to book twice. The only issue I ever saw on the ship was once when I was on a elevator. The thing was packed and it stopped at a floor where this, lets say grossly over weight, puerto rican standing at the entrance proclaims that there is room for him and he shoe horns himself into the elevator. When it stops at the next floor he proclaims to everyone waiting to get on that there is no more room and he wouldn't let anyone enter!

I posted on this thread about the AOS, but all I was trying to do was validate that what people said was true. I also sailed the same ship in October 2006 and ran into some of the same issues as on this trip but not nearly half or a quarter as many. Although I don't plan on doing AOS again, who knows. Like I said the ship is beautiful, the staff is great, and the itinerary is uncompareable. Every sailing will be different, cause there are different passengers on every trip. Be open minded, upbeat and try not to let the minor stuff get you down. I liked AOS enough to book it again...its just after this trip, I need a break and I'm read to try a different departure port and ship. Best wishes to everyone booked on AOS and don't let these posts get you down. Like I said, great ship,staff, and islands...so just go and have fun! :) ~Val

Don't do that! We cruised in June on the AOS with no problems at all. In September we cruised on AOS with 1700 Puerto Ricans and we didn't have any problems then either with the exception of crowding on disembarkation and the pool. We have another cruise planned on AOS in February. THe ports are fabulous no matter which week you choose.

My husband is very intolerant of people and he didn't get upset with the Puerto Ricans. If you cruise when the prices are higher (i.e., not September) you shouldn't have any issues at all.

I agree, the ports are fabulous. We have covered the eastern and western several times but have not done the southern. So what we are going to do is book a longer southern caribbean cruise that leaves from the States. Norwegian and Royal have longer southern caribbean cruises that we are considering. Happy cruising.:)

We were on the AOS this year and it was a QUINCEAÑERA'S cruise. Encountered some rude people, especially those who loved to block the stairs. But we also met some very happy people having a very good time. :)

However, we had serious problems with quality and service in the food and beverage department, the most disappointing of which was our diningroom waiter. The first night there were two couples at a table for 8; the next night just us. The following night the waiter asked if we wanted to move--our answer was "no". The next night he asked us at least 4 times and we answered "no" each time but he never got the message. We left the diningroom and complained, which got us champagne and chocolate covered cherries from someone but no new table. After we spent two nights, including formal night, in the WJ or Johnny Rockets we were offered a new table, but by that late time of day it was too late to get ready for the diningroom. Added to a lot more bad food than usual and even bad drinks, it was probably the worst cruise we've been on.

But we love RCI ships and I guess we are over it because we are about to book a back-to-back on the Majesty!

icon1.gifJust off AOS 9/30/2007 Cruise

Fellow Cruisers - Wish I could be writing with nothing but positive remarks about our cruise but, alas, I cannot. For starters, the number of rude Puerto Ricans (no I'm not prejudiced) on this ship was intolerable. Mainly the younger crowd, but not always. Blocked hallways and elevators, cut lines, loud and obnoxious. The list goes on. Very obvious entitlement attitudes displayed throughout the ship. Our party of 6 each independently experienced this rudeness every day. One of our party had a drink spilled on him by a very rude person, only to get a f*** you instead of an apology!

The food in the dining room, other than lobster and the steak night, and the soups, was WAY below par. The Windjammer thankfully served consistently decent food. The wait staff was just okay, nothing like we've been used to in the past, even on the AOS. Nothing worth even tipping. Glad I didn't sign up for prepaid gratuities.

Cabin attendant for us was okay, but one of our couples with us, had to lodge several complaints to have their room made up. One day, after an island day, they went back to the room, a D1, and it STILL wasn't made up.

Embarkation was a breeze, disembarkation was awful. Even as a Platinum member.

Prices went up for drinks since last year. $24 for 6 Miller Lites!!!!!

Rarely saw the Cruise Director. Couldn't even tell you where he was most of the time.

We're still RCI fans, but not sure we'll ever do the AOS out of SJU again. As compared to the same cruise on the same ship a year ago, this one was a 3 out of 10, instead of an 8 out of 10 last year. Sadly disappointed with the clientele and overall experience. I'll post a full review in the Ship's Forums with more details when I get around to it.

RocktheBoat2006

I'm sorry you did not enjoy yourself. Perhaps it was specific cruise. We cruised on the Radiance last month and we enjoyed ourselves. Our Stateroom Attendant could not be beat. He always waited until we were ready for him to clean our cabin, and at night, when my wife was tired and tried to get extra sleep, he understood when the wife wanted privacy and did not come in to make up the room for bed. Our waiter and assistant were also outstanding, explained the items on the menus for the whole table each night, and even told us something about the next day and what was good to do in port. We are not drinkers, but my wife did not mind payhing for cappuccino and an occasional Diet Coke (and ginger ale for me) -- while I thought the drinks may have been too watered down with ice, all the prices at the bars seemed to be reasonable.

Well, I don't have to say more about the Windjammer -- what was there not to like? By the way, the composition of our passengers was quiite different from yours, and we still encountered those that had no manners. I would suggest not attributing rudeness to a particular ethnic group -- watch out, your prejudice is showing!:eek:

Again, I don't think it related to rudeness, just explaining the situation as it was on the ship. A lot of rude people, a lot of Spanish speaking people.

Did they give "West Side Story" as one of their shows? It would fit, the way so many of you talk.:mad:

I think I have to weigh in too. My cruise is out of San Juan in September and I am scared as hell of those Puerto Ricans. I am thinking I will change my cruise to a US port.

:D

Jussssssssssst kidding............

Seriously now. Having booked this AOS cruise out of Puerto Rico I am fully aware and expect that the majority will be Puerto Rican or other hispanic decent. I certainly hope so and it would be a shame if not, after all, San Juan is their home port. Hitting a cruise with Qince..however you spell that might be unfortune but they are teenagers after all. Every time you get bunches of teenagers (regardless of heritage or culture) trouble is preprogrammed. Everybody has the right to enjoy their cruise they want to. Having been on many cruises I must say they the rudest people are still, yes you guessed it, our beloved citizens of the USA. Shoving, pushing like there is no tomorrow is pretty much everyday procedure. A lot of times people don't even realize anymore they are rude. When going on a cruise you deal with the cards you been dealt and make the best out of it. Do I prefer to cruise with a 1000 teenagers? Hell no. But that is not limited to Puerto Ricans. As a matter of fact thats why we travel and cruise outside the holidays. Do I mind cruising with 1700 Puerto Rican? Hell no. I am sure I will have a lot of fun with them.

To that person who wouldn't go on shore in Jamaica: You remind me of my wife's family from Wisconsin. They hardly get out and were so scared of Cozumel and Belize on our latest cruise. They wouldn't even buy bottled water there. :D Instead they refilled their bottles with tap water from the cruise ship before going to Belize. Of course I told them after the cruise that the Enchantment got a water refill in Cozumel. :D Severely close minded.

I am looking forward to my cruise and let everything come at me.

Bravo, Fl_Cruiser64! and sagiv666, I like your spunk!

As I stated before, my worst cruise (and for me, a bad cruise beats a good day at work) was going out of Fort Lauderdale. Embarkation and Debarkation were the smoothest parts of the cruise. The ship was 1/3 kids. Underage kids were trying to score alcohol and there was vandalism on the last night of the cruise by teenagers. Screaming children old enough to know better, a mother who insisted on bringing her underage boys into the Solarium in perfect weather...Need I go on? I have sailed out of San Juan 3 times and have never encountered so much rudeness on those trips as I did on the Jewel.

As for the staff on AOS, I have always had the best. Unfortunately, I think some cruisers were doused with a bit of bad luck. My waiter, asst. waiter, headwaiter, and cabin attendant were phenomenal on both AOS trips and on the Serenade. The bar waiters seem to be much more hit or miss at dinner.

Yes, I'm proudly going on AOS again. The most problems seem to occur in the Fall on AOS and as the winter vacations begin, there are less complaints.

If you don't want to sail on her...fine, but that leaves more room for me. :D

FYI: The champagne bar is wonderful! I met lots of interesting people and the bartenders know your name after one visit. Hopefully, the "champagne cocktail card" will still be in force when I go back. :D

Jen

Quinceañeras 2008 (Taken from the local newspaper)

AOS: January 6; June 29; July 13; July 27

Carnival Destiny: Jan 6; March 16; June 1

Hopes this helps. :)

Mayleen (polite me)

Thank you Mayleen. That is very helpful to future cruisers.:)

Sorry about your cruise. We did a S. Carib out of San Juan 5/07 for my 1st RCI cruise and loved it so much we booked Serenade while onboard for the Canal 2008. Our cabin steward was great. Wait staff in the dining room did not seem as attentive as Celebrity. Did not notice rude folks onboard, I was in vacation mode. Locals were present but seemed like everyone else. Only main complaint of cruise was Captain neglected to announce debarkation had commenced in St. Thomas. Guess he was snoozing, lol.

why should everyone conform to your standards. The fact is that there are cultural differences. In Korea, everyone bumps into you and no one says sorry. That is the way it is. The city is too crowded and the culture dictates that an apology is implied. just because someone cuts in front of you doesn't mean they are disrespecting you, it means that where they are from they don't do lines. Once again, in Korea, if you waited your turn in line, you would never get what you wanted. They cut in front of other Koreans as well and push their way to the front...that is just how it is done. God forbid the whole world doesn't speak English. why do you think we as Americans have such a rude and arogant reputation from the rest of the world? I wasn't there so it could have indead been very rude behavior, but for someone to be mad that they played a movie in Spanish instead of English is crazy. JMHO

This doesn't make sense to me. So if Korean B jumps in front of Korean A won't Korean A just jump in front of Korean B. If everyone shoves to the front who is in the back? I think that it is a poor excuse to use culture as a reason to overlook rudness or COMMON courtesy.

There are going to be lots of teenagers in your ship.

I read it's a Spanish girl's 15th birthday. Sounds like the party is crazy. I might want to change dates or something.

I really don't know what ship to take though. I wanted the Aruba route. I've been on Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, and Navigator of the Seas. I really didn't want to go much smaller than Voyager Class.

We experience the same as the op on the carnival destiny last year. We like the southern carib for the islands so booked the same week (right after thansgiving) on rcl hoping it would be better. This is the first post I've seen on rcl. The yelling in the hallways was so annoying!! So was showing up anytime for dinner. We are on the serenade. Hoping it fares better that aos. If not, it will my last cruise out of san juan. lynn

I read it's a Spanish girl's 15th birthday. Sounds like the party is crazy. I might want to change dates or something.

I really don't know what ship to take though. I wanted the Aruba route. I've been on Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, and Navigator of the Seas. I really didn't want to go much smaller than Voyager Class.

It is like Sweet 16th. Lots of teenagers. :eek:

I'm sorry you did not enjoy yourself. Perhaps it was specific cruise. We cruised on the Radiance last month and we enjoyed ourselves.

By the way, the composition of our passengers was quiite different from yours, and we still encountered those that had no manners. I would suggest not attributing rudeness to a particular ethnic group -- watch out, your prejudice is showing!:eek:

Yes, you did enjoy your cruise on the Radiance, and yes, we have enjoyed several cruises on RCCL. The OP, however, is referring to THEIR experience on the AOS and they are not the first/second/third, tenth... cruiser to post the same complaints.

###

Yes, you did enjoy your cruise on the Radiance, and yes, we have enjoyed several cruises on RCCL. The OP, however, is referring to THEIR experience on the AOS and they are not the first/second/third, tenth... cruiser to post the same complaints.

###

That is exactly right. Where did "prejudice" come into this? Who did the OP, or anyone else on this thread, pre-judge? They simply talked about a situation they actually encountered. Saying that there was a high number of "rude Puerto Ricans" is not prejudiced. Suppose there was a Biologist convention on the ship, and many were acting rudely. Would it be prejudiced to refer to the number of "rude Biolgists" on the ship? Absurd. For that matter, isn't it prejudiced to automatically assume that simply because a person mentions a racial or cultural group in a statement, that he/she is prejudiced? That truly is pre-judging. I suggest dropping that issue altogether.

Okay, Have you been to such a party? I decided to switch to Mariner of the Seas. (Eastern Caribbean) Liberty and Freedom were nearly $2000 more. :eek:

Not in a cruise. But being puertorrican I imagine the cruise full of teenagers wanting to party. Maybe they are not going to be that rowdy. Who knows. Every cruise is different. Just because someone else had a bad experience doesn't mean you are going to go thru that same thing.

Mayleen

***Who is going to her first cruise this sunday woohoo

Archived