AOS 9/30/2007- Disappointment

Not in a cruise. But being puertorrican I imagine the cruise full of teenagers wanting to party. Maybe they are not going to be that rowdy. Who knows. Every cruise is different. Just because someone else had a bad experience doesn't mean you are going to go thru that same thing.

Mayleen

***Who is going to her first cruise this sunday woohoo

Okay, thanks for your help on deciding. :) Our travel agent agreed it would be better to switch, we couldn't get a non-stop flight to San Juan anyway.

I read it's a Spanish girl's 15th birthday. Sounds like the party is crazy. I might want to change dates or something.

I really don't know what ship to take though. I wanted the Aruba route. I've been on Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, and Navigator of the Seas. I really didn't want to go much smaller than Voyager Class.

Join us on Sept 21.:D

I would feel the very same and did about my liberty cruise. It was the most international mix of people I have experienced and some of them were just plain rude. The pushing to get out of the elevator, not waiting in line for a drink, sneezing without covering their mouth at the dinner table, eating and talking with their mouths open every night.

I would not let stop me from cruising on a ship/itin I want to.

I have cruised from San Juan 3 times. I really think it is the time of year we have cruised and we have enjoyed each time. We have never had any problems.

Although, I would have thought that in September, the kids would be back in School.

I would cruise again on the AOS and am thinking about it for April 08. Easter is in March and I don't think they will have a quincenara (sp?) that month. I checked a while back with a ta that lives in PR. I haven't seen her post lately but she went under the name "JOUSET".

I really don't know what RCCL can do. It's a shame because I would have thought that paying more for RCCL than the others, carnival, princess, HA, you would get a better group.

I have been reading all the posts to this thread (I myself have contributed some days ago) and I reached certain conclusions:

The name of this cruise line is Royal Caribbean International -- the crew comes from all over the world, and so do so many of the passengers. We have cruised on a number of lines and on some of the finest -- such as Holland America -- the same applies as well.

One one hand, it is wrong and typical of "The Ugly American" to criticize people if they do not speak English. My wife and I just came back from a cruise to Alaska aboard the Radiance. The Captain is Norwegian and his wife South African -- while they speak English, I would not call them "rude" if I heard them converse in their mother tongues. We go through Customs because these ships are not licensed in the USA. So what?

On the other hand, true, people from other countries may not be used to such practices as standing on line (such as we have been told applies to individuals from Korea). When individuals coming from such countries are on a ship with individuals from all over the world, then a custom as not waiting on line is not "quaint" -- it becomes rude. The phrase "When in Rome do like the Romans do" may apply to practices in a country according to what its citizens learn, but it has no place on a cruise ship.:rolleyes:

I was on this cruise with my wife and 3 year old. I agree with everything the OP stated. I'll also add that we stayed at the Cribe Hilton the night before the sailing and had an equally bad time. Some huge political convention was going on and the locals were packed into the hotel around 8 people to a room. The hotel refunded half my stay because of my disappointment.

Now, the bright side of the Puerto Rican filled AOS was that they aren’t impressed with beaches and cheap shopping (other than their fascination with Gouda cheese!). It also appeared that they didn't do excursions. This all translated into going to shore without a crowd.

Back on the downside, they (the Puerto Ricans) were cheap and didn't tip well if at all. This isn't my observation but the comments of two of the crew.

icon1.gifJust off AOS 9/30/2007 Cruise

Fellow Cruisers - Wish I could be writing with nothing but positive remarks about our cruise but, alas, I cannot. For starters, the number of rude Puerto Ricans (no I'm not prejudiced) on this ship was intolerable. Mainly the younger crowd, but not always. Blocked hallways and elevators, cut lines, loud and obnoxious. The list goes on. Very obvious entitlement attitudes displayed throughout the ship. Our party of 6 each independently experienced this rudeness every day. One of our party had a drink spilled on him by a very rude person, only to get a f*** you instead of an apology!

The food in the dining room, other than lobster and the steak night, and the soups, was WAY below par. The Windjammer thankfully served consistently decent food. The wait staff was just okay, nothing like we've been used to in the past, even on the AOS. Nothing worth even tipping. Glad I didn't sign up for prepaid gratuities.

Cabin attendant for us was okay, but one of our couples with us, had to lodge several complaints to have their room made up. One day, after an island day, they went back to the room, a D1, and it STILL wasn't made up.

Embarkation was a breeze, disembarkation was awful. Even as a Platinum member.

Prices went up for drinks since last year. $24 for 6 Miller Lites!!!!!

Rarely saw the Cruise Director. Couldn't even tell you where he was most of the time.

We're still RCI fans, but not sure we'll ever do the AOS out of SJU again. As compared to the same cruise on the same ship a year ago, this one was a 3 out of 10, instead of an 8 out of 10 last year. Sadly disappointed with the clientele and overall experience. I'll post a full review in the Ship's Forums with more details when I get around to it.

RocktheBoat2006

I was on this cruise with my wife and 3 year old. I agree with everything the OP stated. I'll also add that we stayed at the Cribe Hilton the night before the sailing and had an equally bad time. Some huge political convention was going on and the locals were packed into the hotel around 8 people to a room. The hotel refunded half my stay because of my disappointment.

Now, the bright side of the Puerto Rican filled AOS was that they aren’t impressed with beaches and cheap shopping (other than their fascination with Gouda cheese!). It also appeared that they didn't do excursions. This all translated into going to shore without a crowd.

Back on the downside, they (the Puerto Ricans) were cheap and didn't tip well if at all. This isn't my observation but the comments of two of the crew.

The puertorricans usually go to have fun on the ship. Some get off the ships to the beaches others don't. Remember that we are Caribbeans and have great beaches ourselves too (most that tourists don't even know about). Shopping, well, the Gouda cheese is always a plus among us. It's a typical thing for us to eat Gouda cheese (even with hot chocolate, yum).

Usually when we reserve, we do the pre-pay system of tips... so maybe some aren't seeing that they are actually tipping. Some are cheap, like many others that I have read on the boards.

Mayleen

(1 1/2 days left before boarding AOS :D )

Any crew who had the nerve to make such comments to passengers should be dismissed from employment. Oh, and just out of curiosity, did the crew volunteer this info out of the blue or did someone inquire into something that was none of his/her business? Such an inquirey, in my mind, is just as rude and shows far more lack of class than what some here are accusing the people of Puerto Rico of.

First let me state, I am Puerto Rican.

Second. i think it is extremely rude to stereotype people.

Third. Get a grip, everybody is different. If you want exclusivity go to a Seabourne Cruise so that nobody bothers you.

I have cruised RCI four times, mostly with my countrymen, sometimes I feel like you, but I do not let it ruin my cruise.

I could say that I feel insulted when people from Stateside think I don't know english and say very RACIST comments about what we do. But, I know its ignorance and let it pass.

You should do the same.

I think this subject should come to an end. It is getting a bit too hot and unnecessary comments are being made that can only hurt feelings. This board is not for this reason. The originator of this subject wanted to make mention of the unruly people/children on this ship. Unfortunately it hurt feelings as it should as Puerto Rican people took this personally. Let me tell you I am from NY and when we sail out of NY/NJ I can see the aggressiveness of NYers and NJians lol. So lets just say this is a closed subject and lets move on to more important questions and comments. OMHO

Pray for Sun I'm leaving in an hour to go to Miami for the Freedom and all forecasts call for RAIN ugh but I'd rather be on a ship in rain than home lol.

First let me state, I am Puerto Rican.

Second. i think it is extremely rude to stereotype people.

Third. Get a grip, everybody is different. If you want exclusivity go to a Seabourne Cruise so that nobody bothers you.

I have cruised RCI four times, mostly with my countrymen, sometimes I feel like you, but I do not let it ruin my cruise.

I could say that I feel insulted when people from Stateside think I don't know english and say very RACIST comments about what we do. But, I know its ignorance and let it pass.

You should do the same.

Maybe you are used to the behavior of your "countrymen"?

All countries have "boors"....including Puerto Rico. No one seems to have a problem when they have an issue with Americans, of any race. I've read many threads where "Americans" in general are bashed for some reason or another. Do people have to specify whether they are referring to white,black, or yellow Americans to be racist?

Puerto Ricans aren't immune to criticism when they act like boors. To claim that the people who are complaining are all "ignorant" is racist.

No one should let bad behavior "pass" simply because of the race of the offender.

I think this subject should come to an end. It is getting a bit too hot and unnecessary comments are being made that can only hurt feelings. This board is not for this reason. The originator of this subject wanted to make mention of the unruly people/children on this ship. Unfortunately it hurt feelings as it should as Puerto Rican people took this personally. Let me tell you I am from NY and when we sail out of NY/NJ I can see the aggressiveness of NYers and NJians lol. So lets just say this is a closed subject and lets move on to more important questions and comments. OMHO

Pray for Sun I'm leaving in an hour to go to Miami for the Freedom and all forecasts call for RAIN ugh but I'd rather be on a ship in rain than home lol.

It is unfortunate the Puerto Ricans took it "personally". I was born in NY and didn't take your comment about NYers personally.:) A friend of mine was on a cruise during a 15th birthday celebration and she experienced the same kind of nasty behavior as the OP did. She is fluent in Spanish and could hear all the comments being made about the other passengers and crew that did not speak Spanish. If you want "aggressive" take one of those cruises from PR on the AOL and get back to me.

I don't take it personally (just saying, cause I know that comment wasn't for me anyway). I'm just having fun reading the comments. Sometimes annoying comments... but those I tend to ignore.

I am here to just learn about crusing and have a great time on the cruise; not to make people love me or my culture.

At least I know I helped someone with the Quinceañeras thing by posting the dates. :D

Mayleen (Tomorrow!!!!! woohoo)

I don't take it personally (just saying, cause I know that comment wasn't for me anyway). I'm just having fun reading the comments. Sometimes annoying comments... but those I tend to ignore.

I am here to just learn about crusing and have a great time on the cruise; not to make people love me or my culture.

At least I know I helped someone with the Quinceañeras thing by posting the dates. :D

Mayleen (Tomorrow!!!!! woohoo)

Have fun on your cruise Mayleen!!! And I'm sure the poster appreciated your help with those dates.:)

And your culture has alot to offer..especially great food!:D

I too was on this AOS sailing on 9/30/2007. I also sailed the Barbados itinerary on October 1, 2006. Everything that has been said is true and will not be cruising on AOS again.

I am choosing for my next cruise to go on Mariner. The cruise was just too stressful. Parents riding with their children on the elevator allowing the kids to push every button on the elevator from floors 11 to 5 with the elevator completely full and then opening unnessessarily on every floor. Unsupervisored children everywhere including the champagne bar taking up seats before dinner and therefore stopping patrons from getting a seat. When on the elevator, people were getting on while people where trying to get off...instead of simply waiting for those exiting to get off and new passengers to get on. I wish these were the only examples I could think off but its not. We truly enjoyed the ship its beautiful, the wonderful staff, and the itinerary. But I choose to cruise or try to cruise in an enjoyable atmosphere and this was not. Running into a bad experience or a rude person here and there is expected but instead it was everyday and everytime we left our cabin. And whether or not you try, it does damper your vacation and since they are so expensive and so far and few between...that I will not cruise on AOS again. ~Val

I have experienced this on every single cruise I've been on, so I don't think this is just a Puerto Rican thing. All the other cruises I've been on were out of American mainland ports and filled with mostly mainlanders, and it seemed to happen just about every time I got off an elevator. That is so frustrating to me that I just do not get on cruise ship elevators any more unless I just absolutely have to. Hopefully I'll never be disabled. Those poor folks had the hardest time getting on and off elevators due to the rudeness and lack of regard from their fellow passengers.

Folks, it gets a bit frustrating when I hear everybody complain about the Puerto Ricans -- furthermore I read people comment they this, they that, they the other.... my friends....this is stereotyping at its best.

In any rate, I tend to think this happens everywhere. Granted, some people are VERY rude, but still try not to stereotype.

When we board these ships we are traveling in a contained space with over 3,000 other people. You will have problems. Not everybody is the same. If you want seclusion and privacy then a cruise ship is not your place, go to a secluded resort or to a high luxury island. In a cruise ship, you will have this problems ocurring. It does not matter if it leaves San Juan, New York, Barcelona, Miami, wherever.

I once stayed at the Westin in PR with my wife and daughter. They were having a Rapper's convention. Im talking rappers like 50 Cents, Eminem, Busta Rhymes and all other famous folks from the US. The place was taken over. I took it in stride, I did not complain me and my family made the best of it.

When you travel you may face these issues. Just go with the flow.....

Just adding a little note here and don't mean to offend anyone. I had previously booked AOS for next fall and started getting concerned after reading these posts and even thought about canceling it. I started asking myself certain questions about our past cruises (12 on RCCL) and here is where I came up with:

Have I encountered rude people before on a cruise: Yes

Have I tried to get off of the elevator while people are getting on: Yes

Have kids/people blocked stair ways before: Yes

Have people been rude and cut in line: Yes

Have people screamed and yelled loudly at night in the hallways: Yes

Have people saved seats (theater or pool) but they never used them: Yes

Has anyone ever took my seat by the pool: Yes

Were kids unruly at times: Yes

Did some parents let their kids run wild: Yes

Did I enjoy the cruises: Yes

Did I try to ignore the negatives and focus on the positives: Yes

Do I realize that everyone in the world is different: Yes

Do I accept anyone for who they are: Yes

Do I want to cruise with hundreds of 15 year olds for their B-day: No

I like to converse with people of different cultures because I find it very interesting. All of my cruises have originated from the States and the majority were US citizens from all over the country. On Liberty this year, there were kids (American) even throwing large chunks of ice in the pool that was leftover from the Ice sculpture deminstration on the pool deck while the parents (from the US) just stood by and talked letting them do this. Rude people are everywhere, just look and you will find them. Sometimes people look at it differently because someone speaks another language or they are from a different culture and they don't understand it. I see it here in South Florida, so a cruise out of PR won't be any different.

I don't condone rude behavior in people, but they are in every culture of the world and I don't let a few bad individuals taint my image of the entire group of people. I can't change them, and I refuse to let them spoil my vacation. My attitude is that if they are in that big of a hurry, let them go so they will get out of your way! I just experienced that in Costco yesterday having two separate individuals cut or shove my out of the way. This is why people from different countrys think us Americans are rude because of just a few people acting that way. Nothing is perfect and you have to go with the flow.

I would not want to cruise with any large specific group of people whether it be a company, birthday parties etc as I like a mix of people.

Archived