Question Pertaining to Meds and Time Adjustments

I do not recall seeing this question being asked before but I would like some help. My husband was diagnosed about 6 months ago w/ Type 2 Diabetes and is on Glipizide 1x a day and takes in the am. Also takes a bp med 1x a day, takes both in the am.

I was wondering how you make the adjustment for the time differences so that he is on the same schedule every day. We will be flying out of Boston (EST) and flying to Amsterdam, then onto Athens for our cruise. Or does it make any difference and he would just take the meds in the am wherever we are on the cruise?

Thanks for your help.

Mary

You may want to run this question by your doctor and/or a pharmacist. However, what we will do is take the meds after arrival in Europe, say noon. Then the next day, take at regular time in the morning each day. Readjusting when you return home may be a little more "tricky" to figure out. Some of this depends also on how severe his conditions are. :confused:

Good luck!

Janet

Mary,

The best place to get information on meds and time zone adjustments is from your doctor. Give them a call to be safe and sure.

When we were in Europe this past spring, I just took my morning doses on the plane when we were served a light breakfast and then just counted that as the start of the day. However, I wasn't taking any meds that could cause problems if the timing was off a bit.

Have a great trip.

Mimi

The responses here were very good, smart people refraining from "advice".

Here's the scoop (and it's what I do).

Assuming his BP is not "over the top" so to speak and his Glucose levels are controled without wide fluctuations.

1. Call the airline and request low-salt meals for him and take some low-salt/low sugar snacks. (Carrots are nice and crunchy).

2. Take meds in the AM as usual on the day you fly.

3 Drink lots of water on the plane in addition to coffee, tea or soda, and if soda, Diet 7up has less sodium.

4. About 24 hours after taking the meds in #2 above take the next dose. I know the time of day will be off as will his internal clock.

5. The next morning take the meds at what ever time he usually does.

6. After that he's on his normal morning schedule.

7. That's about it.

a

Archived