Is There Any Other Great Activities To Do In Hilo Other Than The Volcanos?

bikebelle

• Administrators
In looking at some of the pictures of the Volcano sites (at least by the pictures) it looks rather desolate. Is it a terrific thing to do or are there other activities I should be aware of?

:):confused:

It's an active volcano, where the newest land on earth is being born. It's not devoid of life (it's amazing how much life does have a toehold among the desolation) but part of what makes it so amazing to see is the vast fields of previous lava flows. There are also areas of forest to be seen, including the Thurston Lava Tube area. This is what every island in the Hawaiian archipelago looked like when it was born.

We thought our day at VNP was the best day of our cruise, and even spending the whole day there we didn't get to do all we wanted to do. Going back is our top priority for a return land visit to Hawaii. It's totally unique -- we have nothing like it anywhere near us on the mainland. You will find that many regular posters here believe that if you've never been to Volcanoes National Park before, it's a "must see" for Hilo stops -- count me in that club. The waterfalls and gardens can wait for our return visit (along with the Pacific Tsunami Museum and a few other things I want to do in/around Hilo).

I definitely second MichellP's opinion. We are planning a return trip and are giving ourselves more time in Hilo than the first time. We had a fantastic day there and cannot wait to return.

Keep in mind that many of the photos are of areas that have had relatively recent lava flows, but there are other things to explore. You can drive along Chain of Craters Road, right down to the coastline for some spectacular views. You can take a terrific walk and view some great sights, petroglyphs, and the holei sea arch. Definitely must sees in my opinion.

I truly believe that you can spend days in the area and still find much to see. It is really a facinating place.

I definitely second MichellP's opinion. We are planning a return trip and are giving ourselves more time in Hilo than the first time. We had a fantastic day there and cannot wait to return.

Keep in mind that many of the photos are of areas that have had relatively recent lava flows, but there are other things to explore. You can drive along Chain of Craters Road, right down to the coastline for some spectacular views. You can take a terrific walk and view some great sights, petroglyphs, and the holei sea arch. Definitely must sees in my opinion.

I truly believe that you can spend days in the area and still find much to see. It is really a facinating place.

How long does it take to drive down to the coastline along the Chain of Craters?

Letha

On our last trip we drove westerly out of town along the coast and came upon a botanical garden (don't remember name) that is probably 3-4 miles from town. It has pathways leading down from the road to the ocean and it was like being in Jurassic Park. There are benches along the way to just sit and take it all in. It probably took 2 hours and cost around $15 pp. If you have wheels, don't miss this experience.

John L.

You've convinced me that we really must make VNP our destination for the day in Hilo, and it looks like you're all recommending that we rent a car rather than taking one of the many ship's tours. Do I have that right? Or was there a particular excursion that would be a better experience than driving ourselves?

• Administrators
You've convinced me that we really must make VNP our destination for the day in Hilo, and it looks like you're all recommending that we rent a car rather than taking one of the many ship's tours. Do I have that right? Or was there a particular excursion that would be a better experience than driving ourselves?

Unless for some reason renting a car isn't do-able for your party (sometimes it's not) I would always recommend renting a car for this day. Most of the organized tours don't go down Chain of Craters Road, for one thing. Many of them spend an hour or so at a lunch break (frequently the buffet at Volcano House) -- whereas we packed a picnic and ate it at an amazing overlook on Chain of Craters Road, with vast sea views, and a really astonishing view of prior lava flows looking back up the mountain. With your own wheels, you can also spend as long as YOU want to at each stop, take short hikes if you choose, etc. If something grabs you (say Jagger Observatory) you can spend as long as you want there; if something doesn't (maybe you don't like the Steam Vents) you can move on... no waiting for the slowest person to get back on the bus.

Knowledgeable tour guides can add a lot to a tourist's vacation experience, but VNP is the kind of place where with a reasonable bit of advance research, plus a stop at the Visitor's Center, you can feel well-informed about what you are seeing as you are seeing it. Their maps and signage are excellent.

Unless for some reason renting a car isn't do-able for your party (sometimes it's not) I would always recommend renting a car for this day. Most of the organized tours don't go down Chain of Craters Road, for one thing. Many of them spend an hour or so at a lunch break (frequently the buffet at Volcano House) -- whereas we packed a picnic and ate it at an amazing overlook on Chain of Craters Road, with vast sea views, and a really astonishing view of prior lava flows looking back up the mountain. With your own wheels, you can also spend as long as YOU want to at each stop, take short hikes if you choose, etc. If something grabs you (say Jagger Observatory) you can spend as long as you want there; if something doesn't (maybe you don't like the Steam Vents) you can move on... no waiting for the slowest person to get back on the bus.

Knowledgeable tour guides can add a lot to a tourist's vacation experience, but VNP is the kind of place where with a reasonable bit of advance research, plus a stop at the Visitor's Center, you can feel well-informed about what you are seeing as you are seeing it. Their maps and signage are excellent.

MichellP-I saw your remark here and was going to ask you-did you buy stuff once off the ship or did you gather up stuff from the ship for your picnic and take it with you?

Thanks

Letha

• Administrators
MichellP-I saw your remark here and was going to ask you-did you buy stuff once off the ship or did you gather up stuff from the ship for your picnic and take it with you?

Thanks

Letha

We gathered stuff on the ship (from the breakfast buffet, plus some sodas and water we brought on board, and ice) and used an insulated bag and ziploc containers we brought from home for this one day of our trip, after our research here.

We relied heavily on Beachchick's experience in this regard, so I will repeat her caution about this.... normally taking fresh food (meat, cheese, fruit, veggies) off a ship is NOT permitted in ports of call. The NCL ships that sail totally within Hawaii have been an exception, because they are provisioned exclusively within Hawaii -- no risk of introducing "foreign" bugs, agricultural viruses, etc. into the local produce. Those on the NCL ships that visit Fanning Island (the longer Pride of Aloha itineraries, for instance) likely won't be permitted to do this, and because of that the whole practice may be prohibited eventually. For very good reasons, Hawaii guards its agriculture zealously.

If you choose to do this, you should also know that staff on the NCLA ships won't "help" you with it (butlers, etc.) -- they don't want someone sticking a bagel with cream cheese and salmon into their backpack, with no ice, and eating it six hours later (shudder) then claiming "NCL food gave me food poisoning."

Mostly we just did it as a time-saver and prepared in advance with our ziploc boxes -- we layered ones with ice above and below the fresh stuff. If doing this had been prohibited, we'd have stopped in the town of Volcano (before you enter the park) and gotten our picnic stuff there.

Thanks Michelle-my hubby and I just talked yesterday about bringing a small bag cooler just for VNP, as I didn't really want to have to buy all the stuff to put together a picnic when we could grap snacks and such from the ship. We actually don't want to have to bother with thinking about food while in VNP...unusual for us not to focus on food...however we don't want to waste anytime while we are there. :D

Letha

• Administrators
Thanks Michelle-my hubby and I just talked yesterday about bringing a small bag cooler just for VNP, as I didn't really want to have to buy all the stuff to put together a picnic when we could grap snacks and such from the ship. We actually don't want to have to bother with thinking about food while in VNP...unusual for us not to focus on food...however we don't want to waste anytime while we are there. :D

Letha

You are welcome, and your reasons are exactly why we did it this way. We didn't want a restaurant meal that day; we wanted to experience as much of the park as we could and the setting for our picnic was among the most memorable parts of a memory-filled day. I don't even remember the food -- I think cream cheese bagels... bananas.... some melon, maybe? But the setting was awesome. :)

We plan to do the same thing. :D Eating is not the reason I'm going to Hawaii, :eek: We don't want to waste too much time eating. ;) We do enough of that home :p

We're doing this in Maui on the RTH and at VNP and I'm really looking forward to these 2 days, eating out in paradise.

We plan to do the same thing. :D Eating is not the reason I'm going to Hawaii, :eek: We don't want to waste too much time eating. ;) We do enough of that home :p

We're doing this in Maui on the RTH and at VNP and I'm really looking forward to these 2 days, eating out in paradise.

I think the only thing I am going to splurge on is the Hula Pie!! LOL :p I have already lost 10 pds and have 6 more to go before the trip...and I don't want to come back home and work hard 2 more months just to lose what I gained on our cruise.

Letha

I just need to restate the agricultural restrictions: Only Pride of Hawaii and Pride of America pax are (or that is, have been) allowed to take fresh food off the ships in any Hawaii ports. Now that the Pride of Aloha is doing itineraries that include Fanning Island, the ship is not considered "Hawaii only" for any itinerary because she is no longer cruising only in Hawaii.

As the agricultural restrictions can change at any time, it's best to check the laws in place when you cruise. Unlike pretty much every other cruise and ship to any destination, the PoH ship dailies did not have the reminders about not taking fresh food off the ship and there were no signs at disembarkation at any port and they were not searching pax bags as they left the ship. (They do search your bags when you return though; no fresh food or open food containers can be brought onto the ships, go figure.)

As MichellP mentions, the crew has been instructed not to assist pax in any way to take food off the ship. You can't order room service and ask them to pack it "to go" or ask your butler to pack you a picnic or get the food service staff to go get you plastic wrap and/or containers. I'm positive that part of the reason is that pax do take fresh food, store it improperly (6 hours, no ice, salmon...unimaginable yuck), eat it, and then blame the cruise line. Part of it is that it is not allowed on any other ship, so they don't want to promote, advertise, or encourage it. (I checked directly with the state dept of ag before our cruise last December because I am a fanatic, a real "get on my soapbox and lecture" gal about following agricultural laws/restrictions.)

In any case, it's nice to be able to take a picnic as long as they still allow it and you pack it properly. And every day, do save room for hula pie, shave ice, and/or malasadas should the opportunity arise to indulge!

beachchick

Archived