"Semi sub" excursion on Grand Turk

newrivercruiser

I posted on the "Ports" board but haven't had any responses so I thought I'd try here.

We are on the Zuiderdam in January and are considering the semi-sub excursion in Grand Turk (may be a way to enjoy fish and coral without getting wet).

Has anyone done this excursion?? Can you give us some feedbacK?

Thanks

I did the semi-sub in Grand Caymen. I didn't see as many fish as I did snorkeling or when I was on the Atlantis Sub. in Kona, Hawaii. Although there are some beautiful fish and coral to see. We saw a sunken ship also. I think you will enjoy it.

My parents did it a few years ago and they both liked it. Dad's a mechanical guy, so he enjoyed it just from that perspective as much as watching the fish. My mom was nervous about being below the water like that, but once there she really enjoyed it too. They did point out that it's quite dark at the depths the sub goes, so you can't see a whole lot because of that ... just what comes near the windows.

I posted on the "Ports" board but haven't had any responses so I thought I'd try here.

We are on the Zuiderdam in January and are considering the semi-sub excursion in Grand Turk (may be a way to enjoy fish and coral without getting wet).

Has anyone done this excursion?? Can you give us some feedbacK?

Thanks

We did a semi-sub tour in St. Maarten. They described it as, "vessel does not submerge - you decend into the hull of the boat and sit in air conditioned comfort five feet below the surface of the water." I am clausterphobic to a degree and thought that this sounded like something tolerable. I thought it would be similar to a glass bottom boat. WRONG. I didn't realize that the hull you decended into was only wide enough for a 2-seater bench to be lowered, maybe 5 feet wide, and that was you and your seating companion's seat. There was no getting out. There were people in front of you and in back of you. It was like being in a tube. I was uncomfortable and a few people in back of me were downright panicked. At one point the boat stopped at a reef and kept banging into it, as well as hitting the bottom. That went on for about 10 minutes. Nerve wracking. I did see a lot of fish, but the reef was a waste because the boat hitting it and the bottom just brought up clouds of sand. My boyfriend enjoyed it. I didn't. I guess it's a matter of whether it bothers you to be in a tube for about 45 minutes. This won't be one of my excursions on our January cruise. Think I'll go to the beach!

Archived