Arthur's tour in Dunedin

GGCHAMBERS2

We used Arthur's tours back in April 2007. They were great. Arthur is a great host and really takes care of his clients. We visited the Penguins. That was good. They were in moulting season and so they were not as pretty as you might think, but you can get up really close to them. The albatross was a learning field trip. This is what I learned. The albatross are huge, they can fly for days over the ocean, unfortunately you will not see any of that unless you are the luckiest people ever. The albatross that you might see are quite far from the viewing area. It is very difficult to take a picture of them as well, for they are usually in tall grass sitting on an egg and not much movement. I don't totally regret going to the albatross colony but I would recommend something else. It is quite a drive to the colony as well. Arthur could recommend something and I am sure it would be great. Make sure he takes you for a ride up the steepest street in the "world." If you want to know exactly what we did you can email me at dimndave@hotmail.com

OK, that opens up my question. We're booked on Arthur's tour and I had picked both - the Penguins and the Albatross. Now with your comment I'm wondering if we should bypass the Albatross. We will have ages 3 years up to 84 and there is no point going just to tire the young/old out on a tour that no one will find interesting. I'm wondering if others agree or disagree with DT Cruisers.

the penguins and albatross are close to each other.

It is a nice drive there as you drive around otago bay. You can go into lanarch castle (more a stately home, we went into the grounds but not the house)

as Dt cruisers said you may not see the birds, we didnt see them. the albatross place is interesting and has nice coffee and free to enter.

If you are going to see the penguins you may as well stop by the albatross place

yes baldwin street is worth a look, my 77 mil walked to the top, I offered to stay with her at the bottom but she wanted to walk up so lucky me had to go up too!!!

IIRC, part of the Royal Albatross Colony is closed around this time of year for the breeding season; however, their visitor centre is open year-round. My wife and I are booked with Arthur on Sunday, October 28th.

From their website: "Colony viewing from the observatory from the 24th November until the 16th September each year."

Therefore, that part is closed from 9/17 thru 11/23.

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone taken Arthur's Tour in Dunedin that included the albatrosses and Penquins. I was wondering what you did there and how long you were there and what else you did.

Thanks,

Gerry

Gerry - we just got back and had a fantastic tour with John from Arthur's Tours. We went to the Railroad Station and Octagon first (it was Sunday morning and no one was around & we left well before all the ship's tours) then did the Penguins and the Albatross visitor centre (viewing was closed). Then Larnach castle (plus a quick bite to eat there), along the beach and thru town, Baldwin Street, and finally the botanic gardens. Best tour of our cruise. Grab a local Speight's beer, too.

Ask Arthur if you can get John as your guide! He stayed with us in the castle and added his own colorful commentary and Larnach history to the self-guided walking tour.

Archived